Author Topic: DaveCad PRO  (Read 18390 times)

Offline Ment11Topic starter

• Contributor
    • OverClocked.TV
DaveCad PRO
« on: November 24, 2013, 07:09:00 am »
Hey everybody, I just saw Mike from Mikes electric stuff using a pirated version of DaveCad, and decided to create my own version - DaveCad PRO. The PRO version includes a revolutionary grid system, and solutions to most electronic problems you will encounter. I was thinking of selling it, but quickly realized that the shipping cost would be about 30x the price of the product (stamps are expensive) and decided to give it away for free, a PDF for printing is attached, enjoy :)
You can overclock anything.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: DaveCad PRO
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 04:16:36 pm »
I watched some other YouTube channel the other day with only one video on it and he went to draw something and said "I just got DaveCAD"
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 04:56:19 pm »
 :palm: :palm: :palm:
"Useful INFO" footnote

You really need that written down?

CAD is all caps, as it is an acronym for "computer-aided design".
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:04:17 pm by Dave »
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 05:30:59 pm »
i suppose i have to print it 2 sided to print the sticky part on the back?

• Contributor
    • OverClocked.TV
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 05:34:21 pm »

:palm: :palm: :palm:
"Useful INFO" footnote

You really need that written down?

CAD is all caps, as it is an acronym for "computer-aided design".
:palm: I just noticed the CAD mistake, I know what CAD is, I made this at 2am and wasn't paying attention.
As far as the footnote it was meant to be funny, I really hope you know that useful info.

• Contributor
    • OverClocked.TV
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 05:39:20 pm »
i suppose i have to print it 2 sided to print the sticky part on the back?

Not sure what you mean, if you want to print - print it in landscape mode. Its made to fit one page.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 05:40:16 pm »
As far as the footnote it was meant to be funny, I really hope you know that useful info.

A better funny caption would be like what Mike Harrison did: "unregistered trial" or something like that.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Contributor
    • OverClocked.TV
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 05:47:36 pm »

A better funny caption would be like what Mike Harrison did: "unregistered trial" or something like that.
Ya, but that would be just copying him, I wanted to add my bit of originality to it, and FAILED lol.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 05:48:39 pm »
Isn't it already a copy? Unless "DaveCAD" was your idea in the first place... ;)

• Contributor
    • OverClocked.TV
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 06:03:04 pm »
Isn't it already a copy? Unless "DaveCAD" was your idea in the first place... ;)

DaveCAD PRO is an "improvement" to Dave's open source paper program. If I just copied Mike's stuff it would just be  YADC (Yet another DaveCAD)

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 06:24:28 pm »
I'd love to see one with some space on the side dedicated to more involved analog circuit calculations. Maybe a small (40mm?) plot with BJT curves (not labeled with numbers, of course, but following the usual shape) for quick load line approximations, semilog for frequency domain stuff, maybe some of the more commonly forgotten formulas (RC step response, RMS/peak/avg ratios of common waveforms, propagation delay of coax, etc.)

I might be the only one, though. I like to design my circuits without Internet access - lets me clear my head a bit more. Most people, I think, would just Google or SPICE these things.

• Contributor
    • OverClocked.TV
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 07:03:21 pm »
c4757p, I was thinking of doing that, but there are 2 problems with that, the first problem is that I just started doing analog stuff, and I am still pretty new to it and don't know what will actually be useful ( I kinda went backwards, and started with microcontrollers, and now starting doing analog) the second problem is that info is very project specific, but a solution to that would be to have multiple versions for different types of projects. If anyone is interested let me know what you would like to see on it, and I'll make them.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 07:29:28 pm »
Possible to make a few pages in a single PDF so you can either print a pad, or just the most used pages. Some pages with a basic log log graph and a similar set with a log linear scale ( one page vertical log horizontal linear and vice versa) and simple linear graph pages with no units will also be usable. Have some with different bottom sections so you can have variations, and pretty much all like the Jim Williams and Bob Pease artwork doodles they put in their data sheets.

Offline Jon86

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 08:01:29 pm »
What would probably be much more useful would be to get rid of all the writing space, and put together a load of useful information for designing circuits, like c4757p mentioned. Putting it around that empty writing space and printing it numerous times seems kind of ridiculous to me. Print it once, maybe laminate it, and problem solved.
Death, taxes and diode losses.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 08:51:09 pm »
What would probably be much more useful would be to get rid of all the writing space, and put together a load of useful information for designing circuits, like c4757p mentioned. Putting it around that empty writing space and printing it numerous times seems kind of ridiculous to me. Print it once, maybe laminate it, and problem solved.
Or spread lots of different useful info out - different hints on each page. A bit expensive though...

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 10:01:03 pm »
What paper format is it American or one of those silly letter/number sizes?

• Contributor
    • OverClocked.TV
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 10:23:54 pm »
Or spread lots of different useful info out - different hints on each page. A bit expensive though...

Ya it would only be cost effective if you print it on a laser printer, otherwise graph paper and internet is more useful. I am going to play around with a few layouts and see if I can come up with something useful.

its made for regular 8.5x11 letter paper.

Offline Jon86

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 10:25:44 pm »

I could definitely see that being useful. Who wants to have to open up google every time they need some formulas/constants?
Death, taxes and diode losses.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:34 pm »
Time to nip this in the bud. I'm going to trunk it and provide localisation for the international community

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 10:42:25 pm »
Time to nip this in the bud. I'm going to trunk it and provide localisation for the international community

OK, but who will translate it into Polish?

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 10:51:52 pm »
Well my trial version will have google adsense , each time you print one a different ad appears, which ties in nicely with G++ and google translate

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 10:56:05 pm »
I'm also thinking about virtualisation and sitting it atop a java vm. The config.ini file to set it up will be #bash based and should be limited to about 3 pages. you'll have to down load a few plugins, some from eclipse.org, the rest from oracle

• Contributor
    • OverClocked.TV
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 10:59:16 pm »
I'm also thinking about virtualisation and sitting it atop a java vm. The config.ini file to set it up will be #bash based and should be limited to about 3 pages. you'll have to down load a few plugins, some from eclipse.org, the rest from oracle

Don't forget to include Flash, what would you do without all the updates?

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 11:32:40 pm »

Ya it would only be cost effective if you print it on a laser printer, otherwise graph paper and internet is more useful. I am going to play around with a few layouts and see if I can come up with something useful.

:-+

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 09:36:20 am »
While you are creating Dave CAD pro. don't forget the special set of foot print pencils that are required.  :-DD
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:31:35 pm by G7PSK »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf