Author Topic: Split power rail from single supply.  (Read 6228 times)

Offline GintokiTopic starter

Split power rail from single supply.
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:05:38 am »
Hi, I'm currently working on a discrete Class-A headphone apmplifier that I want to supply from a single supply e.g. a 12-15VDC wall wart.
I have searched alot on the net but couldn't find something that worked properly for my case. The specifications is minimum +/-5VDC and about 100 mA. I don't want to use a switching power supply, so only linear :)

Thanks in advance.

~Gintoki

Btw. I'm new to the forum, so hello all ^^

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Split power rail from single supply.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:34:09 am »
You're welcome, it was my pleasure.
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline johansen

• Super Contributor
Re: Split power rail from single supply.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:39:48 am »
class A doesn't require a split power supply.

for a head phone amplifier you could split the rails with two 6.8v 1/2watt zeners and two 470uF caps and call it good.

edit:forgot to mention... if you don't want to hear the zenar diodes, make sure to wrap them in cotton cloth and use oxygen free copper wires between the zenars and the capacitors, also, you'll need 1 ohm resistors inline with the 1uf polypropylene capacitors to de-couple the 470uF cap.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:18:46 am by johansen »

alm

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:45:28 am »
This page discusses some options with a minimum of audiofool nonsense:
http://tangentsoft.net/elec/vgrounds.html

The circuit with the buffer and the discrete circuit should work fine for 100 mA, although you might need beefier transistors that can dissipate more (eg. DPAK, TO-220) in the discrete circuit, since you might be dissipating over half a Watt worst case.

Offline Jon86

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 09:47:19 am »
For something as low power as a headphone amplifier, I'd say just go with the resistor divider option. There's going to be barely any current flowing into your ground, so it'll probably be fine. But I guess if you want a better, more clean supply you could go with another option.
Death, taxes and diode losses.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 03:45:28 am »
Why do you have to use a wall wart? And at that low amt of power use a 9 or 12 volt AC wall wart and use a voltage doubler and connect the ground to the center of the doubler. Its isolated anyways and you can ground later in the system. Also many brick power supplies have +/- 12 volt now in that power range and can be had for under 20 bucks.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 03:59:15 am »
100mA may work for the majority of headphones, but you might want to increase it a bit to accommodate for insensitive, low impedance headphones such as planar magnetic headphones. 200mA - 400mA should do the trick.

You are definitely NOT going to want to use a resistive divider as Jon86 said, and TLE2426 can only source around 20mA per side. You could use a high-current op-amp to buffer Vin/2 which would become your virtual ground.

Is this device going to be battery operated, or only wall connected? Look at the very respectable O2 amplifier schematic for another possibility (although the power section is kind-of sketchy in my opinion, so consider other options first)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:01:22 am by olsenn »

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 05:27:47 am »
charge pump

Offline chasxmd

• Contributor
    • PNW Electronics Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 12:55:32 am »
Any problem with soldering on a power supply? You could always throw in a DC to DC power supply.. pretty small, not to bad of a price (unless this is going to mass market)

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/power-supplies-board-mount/dc-dc-converters/4325599

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 01:12:46 am »
1. try not to split the rail; use output capacitors or transformers or balanced output, etc. rail spliters are at least as evil as any of the approaches mentioned above;
2. if you have to split the rail, use at least as good of an amp as your  headphone amp to split the rail: configure it as a follower;
3. if anything else fails, you a linear regulator to create the virtual ground.

a 12-15VDC wall wart. ...I don't want to use a switching power supply,

Your wall wart is likely a smps.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf