Author Topic: Choice of |Oscilloscope  (Read 7068 times)

Offline Dave TurnerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Choice of |Oscilloscope
« on: October 25, 2013, 09:38:14 pm »
Suggestions please.

I've just had the option to increase my budget for an oscilloscope from £300 to £1000. With all the discussion on this forum I had been looking at a Rigol 1052E. Given the increase in my budget what suggestions would the members of this forum suggest, given that due to strict space considerations I'm limited to a scope roughly of the Rigol 1052 size rather than an older analogue  scope?

Dave (Jones) I'd particularly welcome your opinion should you be prepared to comment.

regards
Dave Turner

Offline Maturola

• Contributor
Re: Choice of |Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:59:01 pm »
Go for the Rigol DS2072, Solid Scope and you'll have some money left to buy maybe a PC Logic Analyzer
Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:59:51 pm »
Go for the Rigol DS2072, Solid Scope and you'll have some money left to buy maybe a PC Logic Analyzer

it can also be hacked to more than double the bandwidth.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:09:03 pm »
And to get serial decode and triggering
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 11:20:55 pm »
The 2072 is definitely bigger than the 1052.  It's also better than the 1052 in almost every way, so if your budget and bench space allow for it, go for it.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 09:07:01 pm »
Thanks for your replies.

It's depth that's the real problem, the 2072 looks like a great scope for it's class. I had heard that it could be hacked using a plug-in micro with the disadvantage that it would reset to standard on every reboot. Unfortunately I can't find any real details unlike the hack for the 1052.

Anybody got any further info on this?

Offline Maturola

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »
Thanks for your replies.

It's depth that's the real problem, the 2072 looks like a great scope for it's class. I had heard that it could be hacked using a plug-in micro with the disadvantage that it would reset to standard on every reboot. Unfortunately I can't find any real details unlike the hack for the 1052.

Anybody got any further info on this?

you don't need an external micro anymore, you can premaritally hacked the device.
http://freneticrapport.blogspot.com/2013/07/raspberry-pi-rigol-ds2072-200mhz.html
Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!

Offline jmcdonald

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 07:32:04 am »
Have you looked at the new 4 channel Rigol oscilloscope with built in function gen.?

EEVblog #522 – Rigol DS1000Z Oscilloscope Quick Look

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Choice of Oscilloscope
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 06:29:47 pm »
I had a good look at the specs of the Rigol DS1074Z-S & DS1104Z-S today compared to the DS2000 series. It appears that the input stage of the DS2000 is clearly superior and the screen is larger both in size (8" v 7") and useable display area due to the ability to hide the menu. Whereas the Z-S series does have the 25MHz waveform generator, extra 2 channels and some of the trigger capabilities appear to be better (assuming the datasheets are correct).

I'm specifically interested in SPI & I2C decoding which in both series are optional extras. Fully tricked out I can get the 2000 for £1400 and the Z-S for £1500. Or I could hack the 2072 for £725. As far as I know the Z-S either hasn't been or can't be hacked and is also maxed at 100MHz.

Definitely more head scratching required

Online JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 06:47:21 pm »
Note that the most recent DS2000A lineup will include the "-S" signal generator option.
Availability will depend on what country you order from.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 09:29:50 pm »
True but given that as far as I can see even the DS1000Z series isn't obtainable without importing in the UK and I do prefer to have in country support so I'd probably have to wait sometime before the 2000Z-S becomes available here.
I do rather like the idea of the reduced bench space required by the Z-S options as I have extremely limited space and even that can't be dedicated.
However if I wait for the new scope I'll never get around to buying one as the next better one will always be just round the corner. Of course whatever I buy will be immediately out-of-date. The trick is to buy one that will be sufficient to deal with what I'll throw at it for the foreseeable future.
Yeesh. All comments are very welcome.   :-\

Offline jmcdonald

• Contributor
Re: Choice of Oscilloscope
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 11:33:47 am »
I had a good look at the specs of the Rigol DS1074Z-S & DS1104Z-S today compared to the DS2000 series. It appears that the input stage of the DS2000 is clearly superior and the screen is larger both in size (8" v 7") and useable display area due to the ability to hide the menu. Whereas the Z-S series does have the 25MHz waveform generator, extra 2 channels and some of the trigger capabilities appear to be better (assuming the datasheets are correct).

I'm specifically interested in SPI & I2C decoding which in both series are optional extras. Fully tricked out I can get the 2000 for £1400 and the Z-S for £1500. Or I could hack the 2072 for £725. As far as I know the Z-S either hasn't been or can't be hacked and is also maxed at 100MHz.

Definitely more head scratching required

Have a look at this
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1074z-inside-picture/15/

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 12:45:51 pm »
If you are strapped for space, the Rigol 1000Z offers 4 channels in not much bigger space than the 1052E, plus a function gen. Hard to beat.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 02:16:53 am »
For a pretty cheap price of USD819.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 11:32:48 pm »
Dave ( Jones)

Your insight is very much appreciated.

For personal reasons ALL of my 50 year old collection from valves, DTL logic (yes DTL not TTL) through my 1974 vintage home built microcomputer and 'ancient' test gear had to be disposed of.

Because my apartment lacks a spare room and I don't have an external 'shed' I'm restricted to an area for a box 1220mm wide x 200mm deep x 610mm high with a drop down front to contain a new development lab. My PC, laptop and printer are fortunately separate to this restriction.

So it's not easy, potentially 'kin heavy, and hence my space restriction; but an interesting design concept.

Don't take this too seriously but wouldn't it be fun to reinvent the idea of a version of a plugin euroboard instrument. One size fits all.

That would be real retro.

ciao

Dave

Offline evanh

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 10:51:32 am »
This was covered in another topic recently but the simple answer was:  It's unwise to purchase a two channel scope for serial decoding.  I'd recommend any DS1000Z over any DS2000 on that basis alone.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 04:01:21 pm »
Being a relative newcomer to the forum I hadn't seen that thread before. I did find it eventually having spent the last week going through as many pages of the Test Equipment section as possible. I'm seriously thinking of getting both eventually, but the DS1000Z-S is likely to be first.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf