Author Topic: 2000 drones in the sky of Saint Petersburg  (Read 3525 times)

Offline S. PetrukhinTopic starter

• Super Contributor
2000 drones in the sky of Saint Petersburg
« on: November 24, 2020, 01:56:52 pm »
On the occasion of Victory

https://youtu.be/RxjlyoKcPKA
And sorry for my English.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, NivagSwerdna, asmi, syau

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: 2000 drones in the sky of Saint Petersburg
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 04:03:49 pm »
Impressive. I think this is the first time I've seen so many drones coordinated like this.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 04:20:48 pm »
I wonder even what were the losses, how many drones fell out of the dance.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 04:26:55 pm »
On the occasion of Victory

https://youtu.be/RxjlyoKcPKA
WOW, this is TOTALLY amazing!  Makes those fireworks totally obsolete!

Thanks,

Jon

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 04:34:47 pm »
Nice artistry...

Steve
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 04:53:54 pm »
Hmm... makes me wonder if swarm of drones can be used to create safety domes in war times above critical infrastructure objects to protect from missiles, by simply creating a physical barrier.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 05:14:16 pm »
Hmm... makes me wonder if swarm of drones can be used to create safety domes in war times above critical infrastructure objects to protect from missiles, by simply creating a physical barrier.
Of course they could, you could create reactive armour with it that could be shaped and replenished (healed) in function. And you bet somebody is working on it..

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 05:22:09 pm »

That would probably require hugely powerful drones, to resist such impacts. Doesn't look too realistic, at least with current tech. Then there also is the question of flight time, also rather limited with current tech.

OTOH, the use of those drones as weapons, all the more in big swarms like this, is rather obvious. Although those drone demos look awesome, I can't help, while watching, imagining scenarios with those swarms attacking people, buildings, whatever.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 05:24:32 pm »
The Israeli Iron Dome achieves that goal somewhat more elegantly.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 06:58:02 pm »
thats what the book enders game was about

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 07:33:13 pm »
OTOH, the use of those drones as weapons, all the more in big swarms like this, is rather obvious. Although those drone demos look awesome, I can't help, while watching, imagining scenarios with those swarms attacking people, buildings, whatever.
That already happened. This is why anti-air guns have their renaissance now - it's impractical, hugely expensive and in many cases physically impossible to launch a guided missile after each and every one of those drones in a swarm, so fast automatic multi-barrel machine guns seems to be the way to go. Reading some reports from Syria, good old Shilkas and their successors armed with machine guns appear to be doing wonders against drones.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 07:17:08 am »
Guys, why are you thinking about war and attacks?
These drones are just a toy, it is enough to put a hindrance, take away their GPS, they become unnecessary junk.

Nuclear weapons so that everyone is afraid to start a war because of a retaliatory strike. To protect yourself from nuclear weapons, you must have them. Other defenses won't save you from it.

The desire to build a defense against a nuclear strike is the desire to strike first and not get a response.

:)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 04:32:53 pm »
These drones are just a toy, it is enough to put a hindrance, take away their GPS, they become unnecessary junk.

Nuclear weapons so that everyone is afraid to start a war because of a retaliatory strike. To protect yourself from nuclear weapons, you must have them. Other defenses won't save you from it.

The desire to build a defense against a nuclear strike is the desire to strike first and not get a response.

It is natural to want to understand potential threats, no matter how hard you work for world peace!  :D

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 04:50:14 pm »
Impressive. I think this is the first time I've seen so many drones coordinated like this.

Very, this one is the current world record with 3500:
https://youtu.be/44KvHwRHb3A

And this one, even though it was pre-recorded and didn't actually happen on 31st December:
https://www.avinteractive.com/news/lighting/china-replace-new-year-fireworks-2000-drones-07-01-2020/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 05:10:23 pm »

And this one, even though it was pre-recorded and didn't actually happen on 31st December:
https://www.avinteractive.com/news/lighting/china-replace-new-year-fireworks-2000-drones-07-01-2020/

I do not know who created the show in St. Petersburg. Perhaps those Chinese guys were invited.
For me don't care who it was, but it's a beautiful, new phenomenon. I think he has a future in show business.  :popcorn:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 05:14:40 pm »

It is natural to want to understand potential threats, no matter how hard you work for world peace!  :D

I agree. But then there was my desire to show a new kind of performance. Why spoil a beautiful show with bad thoughts?  :)

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 05:48:06 pm »
at this point its like complaining that people might figure out how to make cannons after you have show them mortar fireworks... drones have been trashing countries since the year 2000. The big one with a hell fire missile is more dangerous (like zeus)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 06:09:51 pm »

I do not know who created the show in St. Petersburg. Perhaps those Chinese guys were invited.
For me don't care who it was, but it's a beautiful, new phenomenon. I think he has a future in show business.  :popcorn:

Absolutely agree, the technical side to it is impressive and the spectacle is just awesome.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2020, 07:49:33 pm »
at this point its like complaining that people might figure out how to make cannons after you have show them mortar fireworks... drones have been trashing countries since the year 2000. The big one with a hell fire missile is more dangerous (like zeus)

You know, I really like our Russian military aviation. I am very sorry that this was created for war, but it is very beautiful and technologically advanced. The most amazing thing is that in our country they make great planes, but very shitty cars.

This is me in the cockpit of a brand new Su-30SM.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 07:57:27 pm »
Absolutely agree, the technical side to it is impressive and the spectacle is just awesome.

Unfortunately, I can't find information about who created it. Chinese friends or someone in Russia.

And in St. Petersburg there is a holiday "Scarlet sails" every year. On this night, school leavers gather and this grandiose performance takes place. Look:

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 08:15:57 pm »
Sankt Peterburg is gorgeous... Visited few years ago.. Just gorgeous..

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2020, 08:30:35 pm »
Sankt Peterburg is gorgeous... Visited few years ago.. Just gorgeous..
You know, I lived there for about a year, and now my daughter lives there.
It's a damned inconvenient city for modern life, but it's impossible not to love it.  :)
We are grateful to the germans, hollands, italians and other countries whose people participated in its creation a long time ago.
This is our part of Europe.  :)

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, 2N3055

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 11:02:53 pm »
You know, I really like our Russian military aviation. I am very sorry that this was created for war, but it is very beautiful and technologically advanced. The most amazing thing is that in our country they make great planes, but very shitty cars.

Humans can create incredible things and then find innovative ways to kill people with them. It sucks.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 12:23:05 am »

Humans can create incredible things and then find innovative ways to kill people with them. It sucks.

Unfortunately, this is the case. I would very much like these aircraft to have no weapons and perform aerobatics for the public only.
But what can we do about it?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 01:37:37 am »
Your English is fine.

Actually, we're cooperating a lot these days, far more than most people realize.

Especially in space. "we come in peace, for all mankind"  These accomplishments are real and we all are justified in being very proud of them.

Global navigation systems are now a big part of our lives. And extremely useful. They are even more accurate when multiple systems are combined. Those drones are positioned using GNSS systems like GLONASS and GPS.

The position and orientation can be controlled to an accuracy of just a few cm using GNSS systems, so they can also be used for lots of things including as you mention, rapid automated construction using rotorcraft designed for lifting and manipulating large structural elements in buildings. The progress could be very rapid, compared to the conventional method, and it would be safer. This will likely become the preferred way of building rapidly, eventually.

Buildings main frameworks could be hoisted into place and then locked together. Large portions of the process could be automated.

Hopefully we wont have huge wars any more, because they would simply be too destructive. Nobody would win, not even remotely.

The civil defense efforts of the US hit a brick wall during the 1980s when they realized that nobody in cities would survive atomic warfare, because the fires would burn so incredibly hot that it bould burn up all the oxygen, and the land would be so totally contaminated from plastics as well as radiation, so much as to become virtually impossible to live on for a very long time.

Also, robots don't function properly in high radiation conditions. It plays havoc with electronics, making cleanup difficult and dangerous, even for robots.

Making it unthinkably wrong.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 01:54:48 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf