Author Topic: Car jumper/booster pac's battery, LiIon vs SLA, and booster batteries  (Read 463 times)

Offline Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
My car jumper/booster pac's battery is on it's death bed.  I had to call my auto-club (AAA) for a jump a few times in the last few months - this virus lock down is killing car batteries since we hardly moved our cars.

While I just replaced our cars' batteries,  I'm still considering getting a replacement jumper/booster pac.  The replacement battery for the booster pac is hard to find - web search leads to many seller selling deep-cycle batteries with such low max-current that I consider calling it a fitting replacement as a fraudulent claim.  The replacement battery market is a mess, so I may need to getting a whole new jumper/booster pac.

LiIon based jumper/booster pacs has been around for a few years now, but the pros (from AAA) that came are still using the SLA booster pacs.

Given I like to keep the jumper/booster pac in the car, I am a bit concern with the environment it would be in.  I've had the LiIon in my Tom-Tom GPS sat on the dashboard for just one hot day and it swelled up to near burst.  I've seen a laptop left left in the car one very cold freezing night, and the battery went dead the following morning.  I am not sure about keeping a LiIon based jumper/booster in the car.

What are your thoughts and opinion?

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
Re: Car jumper/booster pac's battery, LiIon vs SLA, and booster batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 09:08:54 pm »
at the workshop we only have Li-Ion boosters. Waaaaaaaaaay ligther than the old ones. Special care must be taken to the level of charge of the booster's battery.
Maybe you should consider a charger on the lines of the BOSCH C3 ? We use the booster only if the battery died overnight because keys left in or something like that
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 09:10:55 pm by JPortici »

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: Car jumper/booster pac's battery, LiIon vs SLA, and booster batteries
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 10:13:57 pm »
I'd start by checking the "dark current" from your battery, because something seems to be wrong with your battery drain.
It should be less than 50 mA, normally around 20...30 mA.

That apart, a quality LiIon-based booster should not give trouble. A ChingChungChong type will.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf