Author Topic: Ultrasonic bath  (Read 3095 times)

Offline imgTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Ultrasonic bath
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:38:34 pm »
I am thinking of getting an unltrasonic bath for motherboards, but i don't remember which brand i used when working on mobile phones, this was a while ago. I need something that would fit a motherboard, a problem that didn't exist with mobiles. And what about the chemicals? That's another thing.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Ultrasonic bath
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:40:54 pm »
I am thinking of getting an unltrasonic bath for motherboards, but i don't remember which brand i used when working on mobile phones, this was a while ago. I need something that would fit a motherboard, a problem that didn't exist with mobiles. And what about the chemicals? That's another thing.
Assuming this is for hobbyist use, one of the Chinese versions would probably suffice if you can get it in the size you need. You can even find just ultrasonic transducers and DIY one if you're up for it and have the tools (in case you can't find the size you want/price you're willing to pay; seen them on eBay).

As per chemicals, that would depend on the flux you're using. For example, if using water clean, distilled (deionized) water would be all you need (couple of runs, tossing the water between each would be ideal IMHO). For rosin or no-clean, IPA followed by water or an IPA water mix would do (get the heaviest off before running it in the ultrasonic no matter the flux, and perhaps a second run or two if needed).

Offline imgTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:59:41 pm »
It'll have to be used in our workshop, so if i must go Chinese, it'll have to be high end Chinese. As for the flux, it's rosin, so IPA will probably be needed.
See, my worry isn't the actual reworked stuff. I've never been careless with cleaning off flux. It's just sometimes I want to put some lightly liquid-damaged boards through an IPA containing bath.
Have you ever DIY'd a bath? How involved is it?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 10:21:21 pm »
It'll have to be used in our workshop, so if i must go Chinese, it'll have to be high end Chinese. As for the flux, it's rosin, so IPA will probably be needed.
See, my worry isn't the actual reworked stuff. I've never been careless with cleaning off flux. It's just sometimes I want to put some lightly liquid-damaged boards through an IPA containing bath.
Have you ever DIY'd a bath? How involved is it?
I haven't DIY'ed a bath, but it shouldn't be that involved. Driver board, timer switch, and the transducer, and perhaps a heating element if you want/can, and that's all that's in a basic unit. Digital control could be added as well.

In my case, is I'm limited on tooling (have a small oxy acetylene torch, so I might be able to solder up mounts to a stainless restaurant pan with some acid core silver bearing solder), add the electronics, and stuff it in a box.

If you're looking for a professional unit, you might take a look at Branson (can find them on All-spec.com). Not sure of the size, but if it's a standard ATX, and one board at a time or so, then a 5.5 gal might suffice (19.5" x 11.5" x 6" tank; ~$1750). Otherwise, you'd be looking at 10 gal +, depending on the board count (to get the right diminsions).

BTW, they operate at 40kHz, and are made in Mexico.

Offline imgTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 10:28:50 pm »
Thanks a lot, will follow up both on the DIY and the Branson route.
Oh yes, it's one laptop board at a time, desktop/server boards won't be using the bath.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 10:34:23 pm »
Thanks a lot, will follow up both on the DIY and the Branson route.
Oh yes, it's one laptop board at a time, desktop/server boards won't be using the bath.
Glad it helped.  :)

Since it's laptop boards, you might be good with a 2.5gal (check the tank diminsions to be sure, as with a single board, it might lean over enough to be fully immersed). Huge price difference too (in the ~$500 - $600 range IIRC), so that could make it easier to get approval for the funds.

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:21:29 am »
Go to automotive tool shop they have big ultrasonic tank for cleaning parts cheap.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf