Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 3 Xenon Flash Death  (Read 9947 times)

Offline TreehousemanTopic starter

• Supporter
Raspberry Pi 3 Xenon Flash Death
« on: March 18, 2016, 05:41:45 pm »
It's back, and this time with vengeance. Seems this time around that the actual Broadcom chip itself is photosensitive, having the flash 6-8" away consistently crashes the pi unless the chip is covered.

Alright, my bad, as pointed out below it was covering up U16, when I tested U16 it must not have covered it properly, it is indeed U16 causing it, the passives must be covering it from the far side and the light was just coming in from the middle of the board, so despite saying they were going to fix this exact issue after the Pi2 they have failed to do so.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:59:46 pm by Treehouseman »

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Xenon Flash Death
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 05:52:55 pm »
Dunno, Broadcom SoC have the package which is not transparent. Moreover you covered U16 with SD card too.

Offline TreehousemanTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 06:01:44 pm »
Dunno, Broadcom SoC have the package which is not transparent. Moreover you covered U16 with SD card too.

Crap, apparently I must have not been completely paying attention to exactly what I was covering, it is indeed U16, the passives must be shielding it from outside angles, but the light was coming from the middle of the board when I was testing covering that area, just retested and covering only U16 prevented the crash.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 06:40:39 pm »
Same bare die in it, so the same issue. Must not be available in a plastic package, or the cost of putting a blob of COB epoxy on each board is way too high for the return as there likely are very few instances where the board is exposed accidentally to very bright light.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:12:45 am »
So what's a good DIY solution for this? The obvious is some dark paint/glue, but there seems to be some concern with "unapproved" materials degrading the bare silicon over time. Is that a real problem or would it only happen long after the board is obsolete?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 06:42:06 pm »
Non conductive black electronics grade silicone sealer blob?

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 07:06:38 pm »
Silicones usually emit various chemicals as they polymerise.  Electronics grade just means that they don't emit acetic acid or anything else highly corrosive.  I would suggest a brushable conformal coating, well cured, as a barrier layer to prevent any residue from whatever blackout material is used from getting under the flipchip where it could cause problems.

Beware of black paints - many contain conductive pigment particles and if you dont conformally coat the board first, will cause major problems.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 07:37:38 pm »
So what's a good DIY solution for this?

Put it in an enclosure?  :-//

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 07:45:11 pm »
How about just a blob of potting compound then, not the rock hard setting but the slightly flexible one which will cover the chip but not rip it off the board as it cures and shrinks.

Of course if anybody knows what is used in the popular COB blob as a rock hard black covering agent, and how to get it in small low cost pack sizes.....

Of course most black pigments are often carbon black in a binder, especially toners, which are a blend of carbon black ( and all the lovely fullerines and buckyballs and nanotubes in it) with black iron oxide powder, nicely blended with some styrene monomer and milled to a fine powder. It might have a high enough resistance not to matter.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 07:51:24 pm »
So what's a good DIY solution for this?

Put it in an enclosure?  :-//

Don't buy a Raspi?

:popcorn:

Offline klunkerbus

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer (retired early)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 08:21:11 pm »
black liquid electrical tape? Although I don't know how opaque it is for an application like this.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:46:27 pm by klunkerbus »

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 08:28:07 pm »
JB weld is an epoxy  :P It's also an electrical insulator, though I'm not sure if it would have an effect on the silicon.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 02:06:24 am »
JBweld claims to be steel reinforced epoxy.  It also contains a low percentage of carbon black (according to its MSDS).  I wouldn't want to use it on a sensitive circuit, and if it did give you trouble it would be virtually impossible to remove without damage.

Offline klunkerbus

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer (retired early)
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 12:29:43 pm »
I just have to ask... have you ruled out the possibility that the problem is some form of a noise transient from the flash and not from light?

I used to do elaborate Halloween setups that involved a couple of flash units.  For the strongest flash unit, it didn't take long to learn I had to be careful placing anything else too close to it. 

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 12:33:00 pm »
I just have to ask... have you ruled out the possibility that the problem is some form of a noise transient from the flash and not from light?

I used to do elaborate Halloween setups that involved a couple of flash units.  For the strongest flash unit, it didn't take long to learn I had to be careful placing anything else too close to it.
This is problem known since RPI 2 and is caused by the light.

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 12:49:07 pm »
This is problem known since RPI 2 and is caused by the light.

Dave of EEVblog forums (here!), did a video about it. Here:

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 04:54:27 am »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf