Author Topic: LFS corner modular workbenches  (Read 1051 times)

Offline mongobitTopic starter

• Contributor
LFS corner modular workbenches
« on: October 29, 2017, 04:28:38 am »
Looking for recommendations for modular workbenches with the main workstation in the center At the corner with the benches flanking out at 90 degree angles. (yes i know there as probably a more technical way to explain it but its late and my brain is a little fried from a long day. See ASCII art. I am looking for reputable vendors selling or at least ship-able to the US. Space is restricted so I want to go modular to maximize space so we can hopefully fit 10lbs worth of stuff in a 5lbs room as it were lol.
                                                    ---------------------------------------|
                                                    |    Workbench with shelving     |
                                                    |     above drawers below         |
                                                    |                                  Main       |
                                                    |_____________ Workstation  |
                                                                                \           W      |
                                                                                  \         o        |
                                                                        ME       \        r        |
                                                                                     |       k       |
                                                                                     |       b       |
                                                                                     |       e       |
                                                                                     |       n       |     
                                                                                     |       c        |
                                                                                     |       h       |
                                                                                     |________|

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: LFS corner modular workbenches
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 05:14:56 am »
Can't help you, but bonus points for the ASCII art.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 01:19:20 pm »
Why not a custom solution?  There are plans available to DIY a corner desk that you can scale to your needs, add on plywood to length and use rolling bottom tool chests without the wheels where you can build up a base to the total height you need.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mongobitTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 04:25:12 pm »
I should mention that this is for work. The majority of this work is repairing and modifying old boards and implementing Engineering change orders on boards already out in the field. I am putting this together so that when the boss asks me, the guy that knows which end of the soldering iron not to touch, what can we do to meet these increasing capability needs i have something that while not perfect would after a few tweaks be "shovel ready"

The room this is going to be in is roughly 13' by 15' a few more inches might be available if we take down the internal walls and noise blocking insulation and go back to bare cinder block-not my choice considering the noisy area just outside. Currently it has 2 flat benches with no storage above or below, a desk, a Kennedy locker, and 3 shelving units that store items for another area. One bench is dedicated to a functional test fixture for the primary contract I work on which has about another year to go. I am also starting to work on another contract that will also require some dedicated bench space and a lead free soldering station which we currently do not have.

I want to arrange them into work-cells so the testing and troubleshooting happens in one cell and the incoming inspection, documentation, cleaning, stripping, rework/rebuild, and final inspection functions happen in the other.

Soldering work-cell would be one corner bench with  leaded soldering on one side, thinking a Pace PRC-2000 on that side to give us coverage to properly rework some of the nasty chewing gum and bailing wire type repairs I have seen come through. The lead free side would have a PACE MBT-350. Have a Mantis with a digital camera or a Targano scope in the center for inspection and or documentation of visible damage. re-purpose one of the current benches to hold an ultrasonic cleaner and a micro-sandblaster system for stripping the boards. one wall is on the exterior of the building so ventilation would be relatively easy to get set up with and ERV system.

Test-cell wise I am going to need a bench or 2 to hold various special purpose test fixtures we get in from customers, build ourselves or get in from the Engineering centers my employer has. I am hoping to be able to acquire an S500 and or a Pinpoint system with an Autopoint DT flying probe/ASA test system from Diagnosys to handle the majority of the testing and troubleshooting requirements in a relatively small footprint.   

If i can squeeze a small thermal chamber in there I will.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 04:30:54 pm by mongobit »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf