Author Topic: wtb: Wytec WICE 68HC11 (manuals)  (Read 912 times)

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
wtb: Wytec WICE 68HC11 (manuals)
« on: February 25, 2021, 10:41:59 pm »
Today I bought a Wytec WICE 68HC11.
But it comes without manuals, software, etc.

Has anyone here ever used it? Looking for manuals in order to write my own software for Linux  :D
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
Re: wtb: Wytec WICE 68HC11 (manuals)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 10:59:38 pm »
Today I bought a Wytec WICE 68HC11.
But it comes without manuals, software, etc.

Has anyone here ever used it? Looking for manuals in order to write my own software for Linux  :D
After searching a number of years I never found any information on this emulator.

There is a little bit of information available on their 68HC11 evaluation boards. There may be some commonality between the monitor S/W used in these evaluation boards and the monitor S/W used in the emulator.

If you manage to find anything I would be interested.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 09:37:54 am »

Sure  :)

I am also thinking about reverse engineering the main board, I am curious about its inner working scheme.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 10:56:38 pm »

Sure  :)

I am also thinking about reverse engineering the main board, I am curious about its inner working scheme.
Yes, it would be quite interesting to reverse engineer but I think this could be very difficult. The main issue is that there is quite a large CPLD (MACH120-20) on the board and until you can reverse engineer the internal logic in that CPLD it would be difficult to work out the total function of the circuit. There is also another small PAL chip on the emulator head but its logic function should be much easier to decipher than the large CPLD.

I am not sure if you can read back the internal fuse map of the large CPLD and possibly use that to determine the internal design. It is not clear from the chip documentation whether the MACH120 CPLD has internal anti-piracy measures to prevent fuse map read-back. Someday I will try reading the chip contents but that will require me to make a custom pin-out adapter to for my EPROM programmer and this is quite low on my priority list at the moment.

Disassembling the S/W would be quite a bit easier and this would give some useful clues on how the emulator functions and what you can do with it. However, without knowing the addresses of the memory and peripheral chips, which are presumably decoded in the CPLD or the PAL chip, it would take some guessing as to which bits of the S/W are talking to which peripheral. Monitoring the address bus and chip select signals with a logic analyser would assist in this area.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 11:38:02 pm »
Which MPU is used? I don't see a cpu on the ICE board, there is a 68hc11 chip on the ICE head  :o
I dumped the ROM, and 20% is 0xff

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 03:20:40 am »
Which MPU is used? I don't see a cpu on the ICE board, there is a 68hc11 chip on the ICE head  :o
I dumped the ROM, and 20% is 0xff
The only MPU is the 68HC11E1 processor on the emulation head. I am guessing that it executes both the user code for the emulated system (from memory on the DUT or from the emulation RAM in the ICE box) and the system code on the EPROM in the main ICE box. The switching between the two memory spaces is probably controlled by the logic in the CPLD.

Since the EPROM (64kbytes) covers the entire 68HC11 address map there ought to be a certain amount of unused space in the EPROM to allow address spaces for peripheral devices; the 68HC11 architecture doesn't have a separate I/O address map for peripherals. Normally it is a chunk at the bottom of the address space that is carved out for peripheral addressing and you would expect the EPROM to have 0xff data in this address range.

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf