Author Topic: FS: Metcal Soldering & Desoldering system - UPDATED  (Read 4176 times)

Offline macboyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
FS: Metcal Soldering & Desoldering system - UPDATED
« on: December 05, 2016, 06:50:32 pm »
system #1 is sold and on its way to its new home...
See next post for system #2, stilll available.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:19:27 pm by macboy »

• Super Contributor
Re: FS: Metcal MX-500 Soldering & Desoldering system
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 11:40:02 pm »
System #2. I am motivated to sell (i.e. wife says I need to clean up my 'junk', maybe you know how that is)

This one comes with the following:
- Metcal MX-500P-11 two-output power supply with Metcal's 13.56 MHz Smartheat technology.
- Metcal MX-RM3E soldering handle, and 6 various new soldering cartridges: STTC-101P (2), STTC-138 (2), SMTC-096, SMTC-001
- Metcal MX-DS1 desoldering handpiece, plus:
  - 6 new STDC-106 tip cartridges (0.06"/1.5 mm hole size).
  - 4 fume filters and 12 chamber liners.
  - cleaning brush for solder collection chamber
  - 10 g tub of silicone grease, used for lubricating the rubber seals for air-tight system and to prevent solder slag from sticking inside the collection chamber.
(note that stands are not included)

The soldering and desoldering cartridges numbered 1xx are the 700 series (approx 700 deg F) which are recommended by Metcal for most lead-free and leaded work. The 0xx cartridges are 600 series. The STDC-106 desoldering cartridges are good general purpose tips, excellent for 0.1" headers, DIP ICs, TO-247, and most other through hole components. The soldering cartridges cover a variety of useful geometries.

All tips and other consumables are NEW unused condition. The rest is used, but clean and in good working condition. There are definitely some wear, scratches and marks from prior use, but everything is tested and works great. Refer to photos. Note that the MX-DS1 doesn't use a motor driven vacuum pump but requires shop air, refer to manual for details. The MX-500 is the 120 VAC version for North America.

The MX-DS1 is an absolutely fantastic desoldering tool. As with their soldering cartridges, the heater is integrated with the tip so there is no performance-robbing interface between them, just solid metal, and the response time to heat loss is instantaneous. The vacuum system is also second-to-none. It creates vacuum with a venturi within the pistol itself, so there is no lag associated with a pump motor spinning up or a vacuum hose needing to be depressurized. Press the trigger, and vacuum is powerful and instantaneous.

$395(USD) for the complete system, shipping included (to USA/Canada). Ships from Canada. For USA/Canada I will ship by mail (expresspost in Canada, expedited parcel to USA).  Keep in mind that I am including $450 worth of brand new consumables (click here to access a Mouser shopping cart with the consumables added
http://ca.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=c0cec157a6 ), so this is quite a value. Payment by Paypal in USD only.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:19:15 pm by macboy »

• Super Contributor
Re: FS: Metcal MX-500 Soldering & Desoldering system - REDUCED$
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 03:34:30 pm »
I have reduced the prices and I will pay for shipping so that there are no unknowns. New prices as above.

I also have a third system available, desoldering only. This one includes a MX-DS1 handpiece and a single output STSS-002 power supply, plus new tip cartridges and filters. If interested, PM me to discuss price.

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 12:23:01 pm »
Hello,
I am definitely interested in one of the three stations.

My question for you is now. One of my teething problems is my messed up DPO repair, where an SOJ IC needs to be redone. Some advice me to use hot air, but the Metcal unit seems to be available with an SOJ adapter too. What would you recommend me to do?

Tam
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 02:18:47 pm »
Hello,
I am definitely interested in one of the three stations.

My question for you is now. One of my teething problems is my messed up DPO repair, where an SOJ IC needs to be redone. Some advice me to use hot air, but the Metcal unit seems to be available with an SOJ adapter too. What would you recommend me to do?

Tam
For removal, I would use hot air. You could definitely buy something like the SMTC-040 cartridge for the Metcal iron, but it is a very special purpose tool. A hot air station is a good investment since you will use it for many different tasks, I know I do.

For soldering, you could either use solder paste and hot air, or solder each pin with fine solder wire a very fine tip such as the STTC-145 (included with my system #1).That special SMTC-040 cartridge is for removal only, you can't solder components onto boards with it. If you want to start a discussion about techniques to replace this component, then the Repair forum is where to do that.

Metcal soldering stations are top-tier tools, you won't wish you had bought something better. IMHO, you won't find anything better. I love the fine control due to the thin handle that is easy to hold like a pencil, and the short distance from handle to tip. Now, any other soldering iron just feels bulky and clumsy.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:07:33 pm »
"Metcal soldering stations are top-tier tools, you won't wish you had bought something better. IMHO, you won't find anything better. I love the fine control due to the thin handle that is easy to hold like a pencil, and the short distance from handle to tip. Now, any other soldering iron just feels bulky and clumsy."

:-+ :-+
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 11:42:46 am »
Hello,
sorry for being AFK so long, but life got the better of me.

Are you still willing to sell the small, desolder only unit? If yes, I would be willing to wire you the green immediately...just let me know how much it will be, including shipment to Slovakia!
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 04:09:54 pm »
Tamhan,
Shipping will be quite expensive to your country. I have sent you a PM so that we can discuss.

• Super Contributor
Re: FS: Metcal Soldering & Desoldering system - UPDATED
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 04:19:32 pm »
Updated posts above to reflect sold items and reduced prices.

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 02:17:28 am »
Hello,
sorry for being so slow to respond. Things have literally gone to hell here.

I am still interested in systems two or three, and have already found a nice compressor.

Online oilburner

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 10:41:52 pm »
Thanks Macboy, arrived on the 24th  :)  Super job packing, very safely wrapped!  Happy-

Greg

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf