Author Topic: WTB: Meter adjustment screw for an HP 3400A RMS Voltmeter  (Read 810 times)

Offline DomokellyTopic starter

• Contributor
WTB: Meter adjustment screw for an HP 3400A RMS Voltmeter
« on: June 02, 2022, 11:39:47 am »
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an HP 3400A. It looks to be in reasonable condition- but it seems to have been taken apart a few times in the past and a few parts are missing.

So I was wondering if anyone might happen to have a grey plastic meter zero adjustment crew from the front panel that they might be interested in selling me?

Any just in case anyone has additional parts for these- or perhaps a donor unit- I'm also after the 115 / 230 voltage selector switch from the back and the wire desk stand- but neither of these are critical.

I've included a photo of mine showing the missing screw in the center of the meter panel.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Dom

Online George Edmonds

• Frequent Contributor
Re: WTB: Meter adjustment screw for an HP 3400A RMS Voltmeter
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 01:33:39 pm »
Hi

The adjustment screw is part of the moving coil meter case, you will need a complete meter case front at a minimum

G Edmonds

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 06:17:52 pm »
Very common problem with these meter movements, you can find a donor meter front from a HP power meter, i.e. the 435A/B, not many people want them due to lack of working power sensors. The donor unit would give you the spare wire stand & voltage selector too. Edit: they use a different voltage selector, built into the power inlet.
I've had to buy a few units, to salvage the meter casings & parts to repair delivery victims, with care the plastic zero part can be swapped over, from a smashed casing too.

David
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 06:34:57 pm by factory »

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 10:21:28 pm »
-hp- used a bunch of similar MCM for various instruments.  I transplanted successfully the lens of a (broken) HP400E (iirc) I got cheaply on a fleamarket into a HP419A which I received with a broken lens.  They seem very much alike, but the MCM of the donor does *not* have an adjustment screw (I guess, this was deemed unnecessary for the not-so-precise AC voltmeter), hence it is now covered in my 419A (fortunately one doesn't have to adjust it all that often).

I just checked, my 3400A *does* have an adjustment screw.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 10:28:17 pm by guenthert »

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 08:34:43 am »
It is not clear if there is actually something missing. The mechanical zero adjustment of the meter movement is normally operated with a srew driver and should not be needed that often.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 09:20:27 am »
It is not clear if there is actually something missing.

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 10:51:49 am »
-hp- used a bunch of similar MCM for various instruments.  I transplanted successfully the lens of a (broken) HP400E (iirc) I got cheaply on a fleamarket into a HP419A which I received with a broken lens.  They seem very much alike, but the MCM of the donor does *not* have an adjustment screw (I guess, this was deemed unnecessary for the not-so-precise AC voltmeter), hence it is now covered in my 419A (fortunately one doesn't have to adjust it all that often).

I just checked, my 3400A *does* have an adjustment screw.

The donor you used must have been a logarithmic meter, these don't have a zero on the scale, therefore no requirement for a zero adjustor. These were an option for many of the hp AC voltmeters.

I suggested the power meters as they are more of them about, than working sensors, hence why they can usually be picked up cheaply to use for parts.

Beware some meter cases they may look identical from the front, but use different casing parts & the fixings are in different places.

David
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 11:00:34 am by factory »

The following users thanked this post: guenthert

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf