Author Topic: Buying a Fluke 87 V today for $200  (Read 3649 times)

Offline michael.hillTopic starter

• Supporter
Buying a Fluke 87 V today for $200
« on: October 29, 2013, 04:17:23 pm »
I found a deal I couldn't pass up on Craigslist last night.  Someone was selling a brand new Fluke 87 V still in the packaging for $200. I'm meeting the person tonight to do the exchange.  What should I do/bring with me to test it out to make sure it works?  I feel like I'll need a screwdriver and a 9V battery at the bare minimum to make sure it actually turns on and such.

What kind of tests can I do that are relatively quick so I can try it out right then and there to make sure I'm not getting ripped off?

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Buying a Fluke 87 V today for $200
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 04:30:41 pm »
That's tough if you don't have a precision voltage reference (TI has free samples, but you'll have to wait to receive them in the mail) or another multimeter to test it against. You can test basic functionality out, but you won't know if it's in calibration

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 04:31:18 pm »
Check all segments on self test (Press and hold "autohold" for 87-V,  Press and hold "hold" for 87 and 87-III)
Select Resistance function
     Check lead resistance should be 0.something, lower is better. (not a dealbreaker, but make sure there's no flashing OL or anything.)
     Place red probe in ma jack ("wrong way")  resistance should be about 1K.  "OL" means fuse is blown.
     Place red probe in A jack - should be low resistance. (0. something)
Check backlight
Bring a 9v battery and a 1.5v cell for a quick sanity check.*
(the next test only applies to 87 and 87-III)
Press and hold range switch at turn on for segment check - should get
0 - AC volts
32 - DC volts
64 - DC millivolts
96 - Resistance
128 - diode
160 - ma
192 microamperes

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.  I'm sure the  meter gurus will respond shortly.

* In most cases, if the reading is reasonable, the meter is fine.  If it's been damaged, the readings will be WAY off.  I suppose there's the very rare case where it could have drifted 2-6 percent, but I've never seen it.  Every Fluke meter I've seen or worked on was either in spec (or very close for older meters) or was very obviously wrong.  That is, you don't need a precision voltage source to check a meter in most cases.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:42:00 pm by Excavatoree »

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 08:25:03 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I'll definitely bring a couple of 9V with me and probably a AAA battery.  I don't want to get into the situation where they didn't bring a battery so I can't test it or anything. 

Will those values (0 - AC volts, 32 DC volts, etc.) cycle through when turning on?

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 08:43:33 pm »
I'm sorry I should have been more clear.  First, I was corrected bellow by Retiredcaps - this test only applies to the 87 and 87-III.  (for all future viewers of this thread) 

With the meter off, hold down the range button, and turn to "AC volts."  continue to hold the range button down and note the segments should be all showing. (all uniformly dark)  Then release the range button.

You'll see just "0000" on the display.  No units.
You'll then see the other numbers at the other positions.  My 87-III shows "-0032" at the DC volts position, and likewise, "-00xx" as above for the others.   Ideally the numbers would be exactly as shown, the farther they are off, the worse condition the range switch is in.  I'm sorry I can't remember more about this test. 

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:34:40 pm by Excavatoree »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 08:46:22 pm »
Press and hold range switch at turn on for segment check - should get
0 - AC volts
32 - DC volts
64 - DC millivolts
96 - Resistance
128 - diode
160 - ma
192 microamperes
I believe the above only works on the original 80 and 80 III series.  I tried the above on my 87V and it goes into smoothing mode.

For safety reasons, I suggest you meet the seller in a public area.  Carrying $200 cash for a transaction that may or may not be real could lead to negative consequences.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 08:50:00 pm »
Check all segments on self test (I can't remember if you have to press a button on a V, I only have a III at work.)
Press and hold the "autohold" button and turn on.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 08:54:27 pm »
Thanks Retiredcaps, and I'm sorry to the OP.  I swear I remembered doing that test on my -5.  I don't have one here at work, so I was going to check when I got home.   

I guess I need to start taking notes - my memory about the different models and versions isn't as good as it used to be.

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 10:00:11 pm »
About to go make the deal.  Thanks everyone!

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 11:28:38 pm »
Alright, I'm back!

Deal went very smoothly.  Did all the tests here and it passed with flying colors. The DMM was exactly as advertised, brand spanking new.  I couldn't be more happy with how it went. Apparently, the guy selling it was going to start a HVAC company (which is why he got the 87-V...for the TC capabilities), but ended up getting a job offer from somewhere out of state, so he decided to sell stuff off he didn't want to bring with him.

:-+

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 07:23:48 am »
The DMM was exactly as advertised, brand spanking new.
$200 for a new 87V is a great deal.  I'm glad it went well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf