Author Topic: Where can I find anonymous bitcoin exchanges?  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Ben321Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Where can I find anonymous bitcoin exchanges?
« on: June 17, 2022, 08:43:13 pm »
I don't like having to give my SS# and ID-card photo to crypto exchanges. I know that supposedly it's more regulated than it used to be, but still I don't trust companies dealing in bitcoin. I would prefer to NOT give my real personal info to these companies. Unfortunately, while most bitcoin exchanges used to be anonymous, it seems now that most (possibly all) of them are no longer anonymous. In my hour long google search today for a bitcoin exchange that does NOT require photos of your ID-card and your SS#, I found NOT ONE exchange that doesn't require this info. Is there ANY bitcoin exchange that doesn't require this info? Maybe a bitcoin exchange operating in a country outside of the US (but which is still accessible from within the US over the internet) which isn't required to follow US ID verification rules, due to its HQ being physically outside of the US, would fit what I need.

If anybody out there is aware of bitcoin exchanges that DON'T require ID, please let me know in a reply to this thread. And I mean ones that CURRENTLY don't. I've checked some websites that claim for example that BitQuick doesn't require ID, but their site doesn't even offer anonymous bitcoins anymore (they now only will give you bitcoin if you got an invite code from a real person who's already a member, so you need to actually talk to real people to get the code, and that definitely isn't an anonymous method), so the article is out of date.

I need to know, as of today, June 17 of 2022, what bitcoin exchanges actually exist (if any) that do not require any ID verification. Outdated info is useless.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Where can I find anonymous bitcoin exchanges?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 08:57:27 pm »
10 second Google search on the topic revealed the current situation….

https://www.ikream.com/best-anonymous-cryptocurrency-exchanges-without-kyc-verification-27250

The USA and other countries have taken action to counter money laundering using Bitcoin. Hence the requirement for identity verification.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 09:00:27 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 09:10:53 pm »
10 second Google search on the topic revealed the current situation….

https://www.ikream.com/best-anonymous-cryptocurrency-exchanges-without-kyc-verification-27250

The USA and other countries have taken action to counter money laundering using Bitcoin. Hence the requirement for identity verification.

Aren't there any countries that DON'T abide by this standard? If there are, are there any bitcoin exchanges operating in those countries? I don't want to money launder, but I DO want my crypto activity to remain anonymous. That's the whole purpose of CRYPTO currency (which literally means secret money). It's not very crypto/secret if the crypto exchange knows ALL YOUR PERSONAL INFO. They might as well drop the word "crypto" from the phrase "crypto currency" at this point, and just call it "currency" if this is how it's going to operate from now on.

So I HOPE that there's SOME crypto exchange out there, operating in a truly anonymous manner, even if it's in some small country most people haven't even heard of. Fortunately I'm posting this request on a forum on the internet, where people from all over the world contribute to the forum. I just hope that somebody from some country that truly allows anonymous crypto exchanges in their laws, comes to this forum and is able to answer my question.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 09:40:48 pm »
Sure that is the definition of the word but its not really how its being used:

The word “crypto” literally means concealed or secret. "Cryptography" means "secret writing"—the ability to exchange messages that can only be read by the intended recipient. Depending upon the configuration, cryptography technology can ensure pseudo- or full anonymity. In cryptocurrency, cryptography guarantees the security of the transactions and the participants, independence of operations from a central authority, and protection from double-spending.

Monero is apparently more anonymous than BTC, if you want to look at that.
Some options: buy and sell BTC locally with cash, or use an ATM if the values are below ~$900.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 09:42:54 pm »
What's about https://hodlhodl.com/ and https://bisq.network/ ? BTW, usage of hardware wallet is highly recommended (i.e. Ledger Nano, etc.)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 10:13:31 pm »
https://99bitcoins.com/buy-bitcoin/anonymously-without-id/

It is a common question so well covered in internet guides.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 07:02:04 am »
Sure that is the definition of the word but its not really how its being used:

The word “crypto” literally means concealed or secret. "Cryptography" means "secret writing"—the ability to exchange messages that can only be read by the intended recipient. Depending upon the configuration, cryptography technology can ensure pseudo- or full anonymity. In cryptocurrency, cryptography guarantees the security of the transactions and the participants, independence of operations from a central authority, and protection from double-spending.

Monero is apparently more anonymous than BTC, if you want to look at that.
Some options: buy and sell BTC locally with cash, or use an ATM if the values are below ~$900.

Never heard of Monero before. I don't think too many merchants that are selling goods and accepting bitcoin as payment for those goods, take Monero. They usually take Bitcoin and maybe a few others like Lite Coin or Etherium.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 08:55:09 am »
You can trade wallet to wallet without the need for a crypto exchange. Which is the whole point of cryptos. You need to find someone somewhere that you trust. All BTC transactions are visible, even if your mutual exchange of [USD in a suitcase in a motel room] is not.

Nowhere is it written that exchanges are the only means of trading crypto, but they monopolise the crypto space because they escrow fiat and in theory, respect KYC/AML.

*If you're willing to take the risk, and have no tax position to account for, try hooking up on Facebook or Reddit's crypto groups. You might get ripped off, but you'll remain anonymous from law enforcement.

*The EEVBlog is not a crypto investment forum.

[edit] @Ben321, my advice to you is this: You must be transparent in your crypto dealings. Even if you have a poor credit rating, a criminal record and no valid ID, it is still in your long term interest to sign up to a 'legitimate' exchange; that's one licensed to operate by the SEC in the USA, the FCA in the UK, or the equivalent worldwide. Cryptos are an unregulated market for a good reason, and for a good reason, unregulated markets attract the regulators focus.

It is noteworthy that in many jurisdictions BTC is not regarded as being cash but is instead a digital asset. Which means it will attract capital gains tax. There is no value in trying to find the most unregulated dark web crypto exchange as every trade in your wallet is recorded on the public blockchain forever. Think 25 years ahead, when a loans adviser asks you some tricky questions about your financial proberty from three decades ago?

As you will be aware, the crypto market is becoming a buyer's market. After the recent crypto correction and bear market pressure from high interest rates, the market is possibily reaching the bottom of it's downward trend. But even if you deal Russian Oil with Tether [not that anyone is], you must present yourself as a legitimate wallet holder. Anonymous dark exchanges outside of regulatory jurisdiction are not a legitimate starting point.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 08:38:53 pm by AndyBeez »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 10:27:09 am »
From what I found with a very brief Google of the topic, it is clear that Crypto currencies are being pulled into alignment with regular Banks when it comes to KYC. The USA is very active in this goal. Cryptocurrency was apparently very useful to money launderers and Governments wish to counter such use via KYC. Failure of a US based crypto currency exchange to comply with the new US KYC regulations can lead to a court appearance.

The OP needs to ask himself why he thinks he needs to be anonymous to a financial institution. Is the concern about a countries financial regulator instigated KYC truly justified ?

https://www.coindesk.com/learn/what-is-kyc-and-why-does-it-matter-for-crypto/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 10:51:58 am by Fraser »

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 12:49:46 am »
Call Bill Gates.

Offline austfox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 09:05:38 am »
Call Bill Gates.

I'm not sure why Bill would know:

Microsoft founder Bill Gates on Tuesday said that non-fungible tokens (NFTs) are “100 percent based on greater fool theory,” the idea that people can make money by purchasing assets that are overvalued and later selling them at a profit. [Source: Tech Crunch conference; Tues 14th June]

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 09:33:43 pm »
It is noteworthy that in many jurisdictions BTC is not regarded as being cash but is instead a digital asset. Which means it will attract capital gains tax. There is no value in trying to find the most unregulated dark web crypto exchange as every trade in your wallet is recorded on the public blockchain forever. Think 25 years ahead, when a loans adviser asks you some tricky questions about your financial proberty from three decades ago?

Which is why you'd open a new wallet and not associate any existing wallets with eachother.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 11:41:18 pm »
Call Bill Gates.

I'm not sure why Bill would know:

Microsoft founder Bill Gates on Tuesday said that non-fungible tokens (NFTs) are “100 percent based on greater fool theory,” the idea that people can make money by purchasing assets that are overvalued and later selling them at a profit. [Source: Tech Crunch conference; Tues 14th June]
Microsoft also said that there will be no way cell phones will cost $600.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 12:03:29 am »
Which is why you'd open a new wallet and not associate any existing wallets with eachother.
The issue is not about obscurating wallet to wallet transactions, which are always recorded on the public blockchain, but finding an exchange that does not ask for ID.  But even if all fiat transactions are made through an anonymized MoneyGram endpoint, blockchain or not, an audit trail is left somewhere.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 12:26:50 am »
The issue is not about obscurating wallet to wallet transactions, which are always recorded on the public blockchain, but finding an exchange that does not ask for ID.  But even if all fiat transactions are made through an anonymized MoneyGram endpoint, blockchain or not, an audit trail is left somewhere.

Sure there is a trail, but its not directly linked back to you without serious effort + interrogation. And you might use tens or hundreds of wallets, so, even if one is found its a small percentage of the total.

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-do-criminals-launder-money-with-bitcoin/

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 04:19:47 am »
I need to know, as of today, June 17 of 2022, what bitcoin exchanges actually exist (if any) that do not require any ID verification. Outdated info is useless.

I don't recall having to verify identity with CoinEx, just email verifiation IIRC.
But any exchange operating in any country with ID laws will not last long before being shut down.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 05:45:30 am »
You can exchange crypto on decentralized exchanges that run on the blockchain itself using DAPs. No need for even a nickname or email address, just needs a compatible crypto wallet.

The complications are about trading fiat currency (USD, EUR..etc) to crypto and back. This means that the exchange has to handle real government backed currency. As a result the exchange has to suddenly abide by all sorts of rules and laws. In the big nations like US and Europe these laws are mostly about being secure and keeping information on who they are doing business with so that the funds can be traced back to you in he event of illegal activity.

Some exchanges will only actually require you to do identity verification if you want to trade into fiat, but do allow you to trade between various crypto currencies. This is great if you already have crypto or if you are getting your crypto trough running your own crypto mining operation. But might not be useful for a lot of people since a lot just want to use crypto trading as an investment opportunity, especially now that inflation rates are trough the roof and crypto promises to grow. For that the easiest way to get in on it is indeed to buy crypto using your fiat currency laying in your bank account (hence ID requirement).

EDIT: Tho i suppose since we are in the buy/sell/wanted forum section i suppose you could post that you are buying 0.1 BTC at current market price (plus a bit extra for the trouble). Paypal them the money, they send it to your wallet. This is no different than buying test gear on here.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 05:51:16 am by Berni »

Offline Fulmir

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2022, 03:59:03 am »
Aren't there any countries that DON'T abide by this standard? If there are, are there any bitcoin exchanges operating in those countries? I don't want to money launder, but I DO want my crypto activity to remain anonymous. That's the whole purpose of CRYPTO currency (which literally means secret money). It's not very crypto/secret if the crypto exchange knows ALL YOUR PERSONAL INFO. They might as well drop the word "crypto" from the phrase "crypto currency" at this point, and just call it "currency" if this is how it's going to operate from now on.

So I HOPE that there's SOME crypto exchange out there, operating in a truly anonymous manner, even if it's in some small country most people haven't even heard of. Fortunately I'm posting this request on a forum on the internet, where people from all over the world contribute to the forum. I just hope that somebody from some country that truly allows anonymous crypto exchanges in their laws, comes to this forum and is able to answer my question.

If you want to be able to put money in or take money out with a US bank or credit card then the exchange needs to abide by those laws. Same for EU which just passed similar laws.

Also if you do find an exchange that's flaunting those laws then there's a high risk that they're going to sell your bank details, stuff a virus onto your computer, or are just outright a scam and you'll never actually get your money out of them.

I'm not sure what your use-case is here, but you could try direct trading where you send crypto by wallet address and if there's real money involved it's sent to or from you on some other system. That has its own risks though, obviously.

Offline Mohawkly

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 11:56:00 pm »
I’ve been looking into alternatives, and I think exploring decentralized platforms could be a good idea. They often operate differently than traditional exchanges and may not require ID verification. Just keep in mind that even with those, you still want to do your research and stay cautious.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf