Author Topic: Wanting to buy an oscilloscope  (Read 6549 times)

Offline damoTopic starter

• Contributor
Wanting to buy an oscilloscope
« on: January 19, 2012, 05:15:06 am »
Hi. New poster here. Been cruizing around the Internet trying to find a nice cheap oscilloscope to buy. My last oscilloscope actually belonged to the company I used to work for and I am finding that I need one for my home workshop where I do repairs to friends electronic items. I would be interested in talking to anyone willing to part with one near Brisbane Australia. Have checked ebay and nearest one is in Sydney and I cannot afford the 350 bucks it would cost me at Jaycar. Just about any old analog or digital oscilloscope would suffice so long as it is dual channel (alt or chop is ok, lissadous would be nice too, don't all duals do this if memory serves?) as I do a bit of work comparing the phase of multiple signals. Have written to a local Uni but they have not replied as yet and will be trying other universities when I finish work this arvo. Have I missed any other possible sources?

Thanks guys!

Offline vtl

• Regular Contributor
Re: Wanting to buy an oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:41:21 am »
Whats your budget? Best bet is to set up an eBay automated email alert so you don't miss anything. Listings that only allow pickup are your best bet of picking up a bargain, it cuts out a lot of your competition but you'll have to be lucky enough to live in the same city. I'd say most scopes are located in Melbourne and Sydney, with Brisbane being a distant 3rd.

You're probably looking at around 100$ for a nice dual trace, 50-100MHz scope, although people regularly go auction crazy and often they'll go up to $150. Cheaper if the seller doesn't ship and cheaper again if its broken.

You'll probably be looking at analog scopes like the Tektronix 2225 or 465. Old digital scopes aren't really that great and aren't really worth the price premium so probably stick to analogs.

It may take a while before something comes along so you gotta be patient. Otherwise you may want to just consider paying the $350 it costs to buy a brand new fully featured digital Rigol DS1052e scope.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:29:24 am by vtl »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:08:46 am »
Google for "Hamfests".
There are usually a few Oscilloscopes at these events---I bought a Tek 7613 at the WA Hamfest a few years back for $135.
I'm not sure if there are many Hamfests in QLD--There are only "one and a half" in WA,the main one ,& a swapmeet one of the clubs has.
There are more in NSW & VIC,if a road trip is not too difficult.
You may not find one,but the Hams are friendly,& may give you some clues as to where a CRO may be available.
the other alternative is obviously EBay.

VK6ZGO

Offline snoopen

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 03:42:52 am »
My advice is certainly to be patient. I was in the market a few months back and set up a few searches on eBay so I'd get emailed when new scopes came up within driving distance of me.

After probably 6-8 weeks of watching eBay and losing several auctions I ended up winning with $80 for a BK Precision 2125, 20MHz, dual trace scope. It's not a perfect scope but great for me as a noob. No postage because I picked it up. If I had been more patient I certainly could have gotten a better deal. Hamfests seem to be rare things, the closest one to me is in Feb hence why I went for eBay.

Free or cheap scopes don't seem to come up here on the forum often but if you're super patient and watch the forums intensely it would eventually pay off :-)

------------------------EDIT------------------------------

I loaded my saved search and found this scope in Brisbane.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kikusui-40-mhz-Oscilloscope-Model-COS-5041tm-/110811840907?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item19cce6818b#ht_500wt_1202
I think the starting price is too high and I've not seen that brand scope before but like I said I'm a noob :) If I was interested I'd ask at least to see some traces on the screen "good working order" isn't reassuring enough for me!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:53:01 am by snoopen »

Offline nrgeek

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 01:57:42 pm »
I started looking for a 100mhz scope, my first by the way .. two months ago .. on ebay .. desperate to keep the wife off my back about the cost .. I have alot of expensive hobbies besides this one lol.. 
Wanting to get a Rigol but unable at this moment to swing the 400 .. I tried everything to get one under 100 shipped .. missed two that sold for 13 and one that sold for 20 .. must have been asleep at the wheel lol
Im just shocked at what scopes here in the states are going for lately .. most 100mhz have been going in the 150 to 300 range.. but after much waiting and bidding I finally managed to snag a tek 100mhz shipped for 80 bucks.. no leads but it was tested and works .. apparently there is a major resurgence in diy electronics in the last few years , even the 20 to 40 mhz scopes are going for upwards of a hundred in some cases for analog.
I would assume its the economy pushing folks to fix rather than buy new  ?

Whats your budget? Best bet is to set up an eBay automated email alert so you don't miss anything. Listings that only allow pickup are your best bet of picking up a bargain, it cuts out a lot of your competition but you'll have to be lucky enough to live in the same city. I'd say most scopes are located in Melbourne and Sydney, with Brisbane being a distant 3rd.

You're probably looking at around 100$ for a nice dual trace, 50-100MHz scope, although people regularly go auction crazy and often they'll go up to $150. Cheaper if the seller doesn't ship and cheaper again if its broken.

You'll probably be looking at analog scopes like the Tektronix 2225 or 465. Old digital scopes aren't really that great and aren't really worth the price premium so probably stick to analogs.

It may take a while before something comes along so you gotta be patient. Otherwise you may want to just consider paying the $350 it costs to buy a brand new fully featured digital Rigol DS1052e scope.
Geek by Birth, Linux user by Choice

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:24:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys!

Budget is around the 150 to 200 mark. Maybe I'll just have to save up and get the Rigol. Would be a great investment I think.

Checked Hamfest and the next one here in Brissy is after Mothers day and there is one on the GC in June (I think) so I'll be waiting a while for one of those to occur.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 02:45:48 am »
Go to the Hamfest anyway,they are a lot of fun for anyone who wants to browse around among weird & wonderful Electronics.
It's amazing what turns up there!

VK6ZGO

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 04:49:22 am »
I intend to. Gunna try to go to the Brissy one as well as the GC one ;D

Offline bfritz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 07:58:04 pm »
Just about any old analog or digital oscilloscope would suffice so long as it is dual channel (alt or chop is ok, lissadous would be nice too, don't all duals do this if memory serves?) as I do a bit of work comparing the phase of multiple signals.

Every 2 or more channel scope I've ever seen will do X-Y, which allows you to do lissadous figures.  A number of scopes also have a Z axis input on the back, which basically modulates the beam intensity.  With the X-Y capability, and Z axis as well, you can do pretty much anything on the screen, pictures, text, etc.

I don't know your market well there, but here in the US, one of the overlooked venues for electronics is craigslist.  I occassionally see really great values there.  I picked up an Agilent 34401A 6.5 digit bench DMM for $300.  It is just over a year old, and in almost brand new condition.  Perhaps you have some local "For Sale" forums like Craigslist that have lots of people selling tools and electronics.  Of course eBay is always a place you should watch, lots of stuff there, but also plenty of others competing.  I've even picked up some bargins on Fluke DMM's in pawn shops here in the US.

Offline nrgeek

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 03:48:41 pm »
I agree on pawn shops , great place for DMM, but here in my area scopes are hard to come  by .. craigslist is a see of red necks here .. you can buy anything but scopes here lol.. even Atlanta, GA hundred miles away has few of them listed.. and the ones that are ( most under 50 mhz ) .. way over priced compared to ebay.. though I always am looking anyway for bargains :)
HAM radio swap meets are a good place too.. here is a link for the US ham fests ..http://www.arrl.org/hamfests-and-conventions-calendar  Im sure they have such a list for other countries just google it if your outside of us.
Also gov surplus auctions online www.govliquidation.com is one there are many .. but few will ship .. you have to pick up at auction site.

I don't know your market well there, but here in the US, one of the overlooked venues for electronics is craigslist.  I occassionally see really great values there.  I picked up an Agilent 34401A 6.5 digit bench DMM for $300.  It is just over a year old, and in almost brand new condition.  Perhaps you have some local "For Sale" forums like Craigslist that have lots of people selling tools and electronics.  Of course eBay is always a place you should watch, lots of stuff there, but also plenty of others competing.  I've even picked up some bargins on Fluke DMM's in pawn shops here in the US.
Geek by Birth, Linux user by Choice

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf