Author Topic: Wanted: Ejector lever for Tek TLA700 series module  (Read 6768 times)

Offline TerraHertzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Wanted: Ejector lever for Tek TLA700 series module
« on: October 28, 2013, 12:46:33 pm »
The Tektronix TLA 721 logic analyzer I'm setting up has a broken ejector lever on the control module. See pic.
I knew it when I bought it, and thought  'Ha! Cosmetic, who cares?'  Which it is - that module would very rarely be pulled out, and anyway it's easy to remove without the lever.

But it's starting to really bug me. Just looks broken. On such a nice piece of gear, that I've been having good luck buying other things for.

It seems the ejector levers are the same on all modules. And they're easily removed/replaced by knocking out a pivot pin.
So... can anyone suggest where I'd find a trashed TLA module of any kind? Can be totally wrecked, useless, so long as that lever is intact. Modules on ebay are invariably too good to just trash for a lever.

I'm afraid to ask Tektronix the price to buy one from them. As I'm getting to the age where heart attack risks are best avoided.

(Realistically, I know I'm probably going to have to try Tektronix eventually. Asking here first since you never know. It's not urgent, as my work area rebuild is still in progress, and nothing much will be happening with the LA till after that's done.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:52:42 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline vtkkorhanjoh

• Contributor
Re: Wanted: Ejector lever for Tek TLA700 series module
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 03:25:53 pm »
Moronic question: Do you have the broken-off lever or simliar somewhere? Maybe some glue could be used? If not, are you willing to pay 70$ for one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-TLA7AA4-2MB-450MHz-136-Channel-Logic-Analyzer-Module-Untested-/360772822582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ffbc6636
I doubt that tektronix will sell a single plastic lever to a private person, i don't think that big a company will give a shit.
Good luck anyways!

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:09:52 am »
Moronic question: Do you have the broken-off lever or simliar somewhere?

No, it came like that. Even visible in the original ebay listing. I can't complain, it's maybe a factor in why I got the unit so cheap.

Maybe some glue could be used?
Or, I could make something similar, drill holes for steel reinforcing pins, glue, etc... and it would still look like crap.
The objective is to get it looking like new. Or otherwise do nothing.

If not, are you willing to pay 70$ for one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-TLA7AA4-2MB-450MHz-136-Channel-Logic-Analyzer-Module-Untested-/360772822582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ffbc6636

Ha ha! Yes, that exact unit is my prime temptation at the moment. However that's why I phrased it "ones on ebay are too good to trash for a lever". If I bought that one, I'm pretty sure it would work fine - and then I don't have a spare lever. But I already have two TLA7AAx modules - plenty for my needs. So it's a quandary.
Btw, it's not $70, it's plus shipping - to Australia. Which is significant, even using the excellent reshipper shipito.com

I doubt that tektronix will sell a single plastic lever to a private person, i don't think that big a company will give a shit.
My thoughts exactly - unless the levers break frequently, in which case they'll be a stock item. Even then they'd probably want to do the replacement themselves, at vast expense to the customer.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline vtkkorhanjoh

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 12:33:47 am »
Yeah a while back i bought a Lecroy oscilloscope whitch worked perfectly, the only thing wrong was the missing v/div knob. So i just took a plastic knob, glued a metal pin in it, then made a mark in the pot on the panel and glued everything together. It looks terrible, but at least works. And with the shipping, i live in Norway, so pricings are probably completely different where you live. I don't know, it probably wouldn't hurt to contact Tektronix, just to rule that option out. The TLA racks are beautiful indeed, but i have no idea wether i would use 100$ to fix a minor cosmetic error or not.

If in doubt, toss a coin. If still in doubt, toss again. If the result is not the preferred one, go with the other.  ;)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 01:38:03 am »
Ha ha! Yes, that exact unit is my prime temptation at the moment. However that's why I phrased it "ones on ebay are too good to trash for a lever". If I bought that one, I'm pretty sure it would work fine - and then I don't have a spare lever. But I already have two TLA7AAx modules - plenty for my needs. So it's a quandary.
I guess you missed my Ebay auction for a broken TLA7AA4... someone else snatched it for a low price.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 02:45:39 am »
Did you purchase that one hard drive less for $196/169? I was about to buy that one...
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:34:45 am »
Did you purchase that one hard drive less for $196/169? I was about to buy that one...

No, it was this one: 121152614886
Listed for US$780 or something like that. Seller accepted an offer of $375. Considering it's in perfect condition, working, except for that lever and a couple of slight dings in the rear fan cowling - that were easy to fix. It's very clean too.
And the 'unknown password' mentioned in the listing turned out to be 'enter key' ie no password at all. Too easy.

Yesterday 5 P6860 probes arrived, in addition to the others I have.
I'm constantly amazed by the evidence ebay provides of such gross incompetence by former owners of test gear. These probes for instance. These are the ones with delicate tiny elastomer contacts at the probe tip, for connectorless capture of bus signals.  See http://www.tek.com/logic-probe  New price $4980. The standard kit includes two different little plastic end clips (of different thickness) to hold the elastomer strips, and a protection cover.
Do you think things like the protection covers *ever* appear on ebay with the probes?
No, not that I've ever seen. I think myself lucky that of the 5 P6860s which arrived yesterday, only 2 are missing elastomer strips. Otoh, one has a Mictor end adapter that wasn't mentioned in the listing, so bonus!

Now I guess a call to Tektronix is unavoidable. It will be interesting to see by how many times these teeny plastic strips are worth more than their weight in gold.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 08:52:48 am »
If you get really desperate, take a mold of an existing ejector, you could then make a copy. Even some coloured fibreglass resin would probably work.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 08:56:36 am »
If you get really desperate, take a mold of an existing ejector, you could then make a copy. Even some coloured fibreglass resin would probably work.
+1 , a fine example like this one made by one of EEVBlogee, Conrad Hoffman -> Casting Replacement Gears for the HP 8640B RF Signal Generator

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 10:32:59 am »
+1 , a fine example like this one made by one of EEVBlogee, Conrad Hoffman -> Casting Replacement Gears for the HP 8640B RF Signal Generator

Hey, thanks for that! I have a nice chart recorder, that would work except for two small nylon-on-brass-hub gears that are cracked due to the nylon shrinking. The plan was to at some point learn how to use a dividing head on my mill to cut gears properly. But this sounds a lot easier.

Too many projects, not enough time...

Edit: Holy sh... I hadn't seen this: http://conradhoffman.com/electronics01.htm
Especially http://conradhoffman.com/gr01.htm

Sigh. A mixture of awe for that guy's collection and skill, and feeling miserable at my own limitations.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:10:04 am by TerraHertz »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf