Author Topic: UK - Donate Multimeter  (Read 7602 times)

Offline alin_imTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
UK - Donate Multimeter
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:04:29 pm »
Hi guys,

Does anyone has a multimeter to donate ??? I am a student and I am pretty low on money right now...
One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering. 'Supernatural' is a null word. - Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Aodhan145

• Frequent Contributor
Re: UK - Donate Multimeter
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 11:20:18 pm »
You cant be that low in money to buy a multimeter.
Extech EX330 £30.30: http://www.test-meter.co.uk/extech-ex330-mini-multimeter/
Extech EX430 True RMS £52.20: http://www.test-meter.co.uk/extech-ex430-trms-professional-multimeter/
Just buy one of those. If you don't require true RMS go for the EX330, It was the winner of the EEVBlog $50 Multimeter shoot out.

Offline macbreak

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:25:21 am »
Lol. EEVblog is turning into donation central. You could just save up... perhaps? Even a CHEAP DMM is only a matter of £20. HOWEVER... if you want to review a multimeter, you have a VERY high chance of getting to keep it, once the review is done. You don't need to plead poverty when approaching the company or supplier - think like a pauper, you'll come across and live like one; you simply approach them, professionally and confidently, ask if they'd like for you to review their product on your YouTube channel, and offer links and mentions of their site, in return. 9/10 companies will allow you to keep low value items - but that SHOULD NOT be the motivating factor for approaching them - you need to want to review it, BUT, it will provide a mutually beneficial solution to a problem I do not even see existing, as advertising costs them WAY more than the cost of sending you a meter to review :)

Trust me, this is coming from someone who's done this for years, and they appreciate a good review, and are more than willing to allow you the small token of keeping something in exchange for an honest review. I've done reviews of many things, from coffee grinders to a multimeter, myself (Oh, and a few times, MUCH more expensive items) :)

All the best.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:35:49 am by macbreak »

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 12:26:00 am »
If you only need a meter for low power work, how about a UT136B for £10.99? Lightages has reviewed it on the forum.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 12:13:09 pm »
C'mon the cheapest sub-5$ (dollars, not pounds, leads and shipping included) multimeter would work for basic stuff. I know how it is when you can't afford stuff, I come from a poor country and there were times when I needed to save money to buy a regular 0.75A diode. But I can't believe somebody in UK can't afford nowadays 3 pounds and change for a multimeter.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 12:24:33 pm »
I'm inclined to agree. My '830' meter did me proud throughout my time at university, and further beyond that than I'd care to admit.

I find it downright weird that there's such hostility to basic tools like the 830 on this forum. It's not a tool to stick anywhere you wouldn't stick your fingers, but other than that, there's no good reason to avoid them IMHO.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 01:21:18 pm »
There was a debate about the DT830B on the forum a couple of years ago, and many people seem to have a sneaking affection for them as a beginner's tool or a cheap adjunct to a decent meter. I've had mine for many years and it still works and is still somewhat accurate.

I suspect the OP can afford something a little better, given that he is currently also looking to spend £40 or so on an FPGA development kit.

Offline Flump

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 02:20:49 pm »
I am sure if you are considering buying a fpga kit you can spend £2.75 on one of these,
Or were you hoping someone would donate a nicer expensive one ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-DIGITAL-LCD-MULTIMETER-VOLTMETER-AMMETER-CIRCUIT-TESTER-/181644649821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4add655d

Granted it's cheap and cheerful but for low voltage and low energy work its fine,
I have one and although low resolution its accurate on all measurements,
although I have not used the transistor feature so dont know if it measures
gain accurately.

Offline urbis

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 10:03:37 am »
I really need to put a post up for someone to donate me the contents of their workshop... Can't afford my own!  :palm:

Offline Aodhan145

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 11:03:29 pm »
I really need to put a post up for someone to donate me the contents of their workshop... Can't afford my own!  :palm:
I know your pain i'm 14 with no income and everything is so expensive. I need to get an oscilloscope but all the money I have is £20.

Offline rigrunner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 03:20:57 am »
I am sure if you are considering buying a fpga kit you can spend £2.75 on one of these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-DIGITAL-LCD-MULTIMETER-VOLTMETER-AMMETER-CIRCUIT-TESTER-/181644649821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4add655d

Granted it's cheap and cheerful but for low voltage and low energy work its fine,
I have one and although low resolution its accurate on all measurements,
although I have not used the transistor feature so dont know if it measures
gain accurately.

I agree with Flump on these. I bought half a dozen of them to use when out and about. They agree with my bench meters.  When i've trodden on the last of them i'll buy more  :-+
Internet of Things: A solution desperately trying to find its problem

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 01:12:20 pm »
Too bad you don't live here across the pond.  Harbor freight puts coupons in their ads to get basically that same meter for free.  We have someone in my ham radio club grab them throughout the year and they become door prizes at our Christmas Banquet :-DD.  At one point I had a half dozen of them.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 06:11:04 pm »
Let's face it, 2.75 pounds for a one-time purchase is just as good as free, even if technically infinitely more expensive...
Also it seems to be shipped from the UK so no 6 weeks wait or something.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 06:29:48 pm »
Let's face it, 2.75 pounds for a one-time purchase is just as good as free, even if technically infinitely more expensive...
Also it seems to be shipped from the UK so no 6 weeks wait or something.
If £2.75 is too expensive, there are some NOS DT-830D's for £1.95 here, also in the UK.
As a bonus, the 830D is the deluxe version with a continuity buzzer.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 06:34:00 am »
I can't imagine how this works, how much would be even postage for such a thing within the UK?

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 08:28:59 am »
I can't imagine how this works, how much would be even postage for such a thing within the UK?

Probably more than the thing costs :)

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 09:02:29 am »

Probably more than the thing costs :)
The price includes postage, so the meter would be less than a pound. Since the vendor is also offering sets of ten for £9.95 delivered this seems reasonable.

I've ordered one just for the hell of it.

Offline Aodhan145

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 12:08:47 pm »
Those meters are surprisingly accurate if calibrated with a decent meter using the internal pot.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 02:22:08 pm »
The meter duly arrived and a mini-teardown and review can be found here.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf