Author Topic: Screwdriver set  (Read 15065 times)

Offline mahin300Topic starter

Screwdriver set
« on: October 09, 2012, 10:42:01 pm »
looking for a screwdriver set to open any and all things. simple philips and flats to torqes for hard drives. Needs a long bit to reach tight spaces any suggestions?

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Screwdriver set
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:17:04 pm »
If you buy one of those cheap screwdriver sets with lots of bits the driver bit will round off and will strip out the screw head the first time you encounter a tough screw. This happened to me recently when I was trying to change the battery in a key fob remote with a multi-purpose screwdriver set. The screw wouldn't budge and the driver kept camming out. A good brand name screwdriver from my toolbox came to the rescue.

Therefore try to pick up individual screwdrivers as you need them and go for quality rather than quantity.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 11:21:16 pm »
not sure if this is what you are looking for but their tool selection is worth a browse

http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/54-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-022

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:31:50 pm »
Wera and Wiha both make real nice drivers/tools.  If you are in the US, Chads tool box has very low prices.
http://chadstoolbox.com/

Offline mahin300Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 11:46:12 pm »
thanks guys im getting the 54 Bit Driver Kit

Offline ablacon64

• Frequent Contributor

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:46:21 am »
Wera and Wiha both make real nice drivers/tools.  If you are in the US, Chads tool box has very low prices.

Second this - with a prejudicial nod to Wera.

Wera make nice bits, but the most useful tools I find are the dedicated drivers with the "lasertip" ends. They grab the head and don't let go. Get a set of flat, philips, and pozidriv and forget about switching bits all the time.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 03:14:24 am »
Agreed, all my "good" screwdrivers are Wera laser tips and they hold a #2 phillips better than any other driver I have used.

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 05:11:16 am »
In case anyone else is a fastener novice like me, there are screws which _look_ like Philips heads, but are actually Pozidriv.  This includes screws on a lot of older (and maybe newer?) test equipment.  For example, the Fluke 27 which has been discussed here before is held together with them (the case screws).  A Philips driver will tend to strip these screws.  I bought a couple of Wera Pozidriv screwdrivers, and it has prevented me a lot of grief.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 05:24:12 am »
Further to Philips and Pozidriv, this can depend a lot on your location. In the UK you will find Pozidriv everywhere and never see a Philips (even though people there call Pozidriv screws "Philips" screws). The clue to Pozidriv is in the four extra little notches on the corners between the main notches. It can be quite hard to actually buy Philips screwdrivers in the UK.

Here in the USA every screw and screwdriver I ever see is a Philips head. I don't think I have ever seen Pozidriv here.

So if you are working on a device that didn't originate in the US, consider that it may have Pozidriv screws.

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 11:02:39 am »
For screwdrivers I like felo also.

Good selection and prices, is there anything like this
in Europe? I feel ripped off anytime I buy something locally,
but more important would be a big assortment like that.

Fabio.
Fabio Eboli.

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 12:57:10 pm »
For screwdrivers I like felo also.

Fabio.

You're in luck...they are made in Europe.

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 01:51:30 pm »

Fabio.

You're in luck...they are made in Europe.

I know, but didn't find a store like that around here yet,
it seem that's easier to buy them in USA, for a private custumer at least ;)

Fabio.
Fabio Eboli.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 02:04:11 pm »
search for "wiha set" on ebay... there are a lot of german sellers.
I confirm wiha are real good quality screwdrivers.

Offline icon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 03:37:11 pm »
And while we're talking philips/pozidrive, there's a distinct possibility of bumping into Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) heads. If you've ever wondered why neither philips nor pozi will *quite* fit without wobbling, it may be that you're looking at a JIS screw. I've found them on Shimano derailleurs, motorcycle brake fluid reservoir lids, laptops and other assorted electronica. I have a set of Hozan JIS screwdrivers - 00, 0, 1, and 2 and they come in handy surprisingly often.

John

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 05:04:49 pm »
no wonder i always strip their OVERLY TIGHT screws ...

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 05:20:28 pm »
A key thing with drivers is the alloy and workmanship; while cheap made-in-China drivers are often bad,  a low cost alternative are Taiwanese drivers and it must says so either stamped on the shaft or the box.  They are often sold in computer stores, rather than hardware stores.  So far, Taiwan tools have not been counterfeited by the Chinese, I guess there is some pride in not using brands for their rival 'rouge' nation.  Japanese drivers are good too, but they are rare in the USA.

Wiha, Wera, Excelite and many many others are superb, but while the alloys are first rate, the push to economy has reduced quality control.   So don't expect perfection from Germany, as was once their reputation, its mostly in the finish of the handles and the alignment of the driver shaft to the handles.

Depending on how often you use drivers, if you're not a professional technician, Taiwan tools can work well.  Poor alloys will deform with one use, better drivers may succumb after metal fatigue with repeated use or rarely with age.  Great alloys last a lifetime.  Good tools are often steel alloys with Chromium, molybdenium,vanadium, the best I've used is CMV, all 3, or pairs of them, CroMo or CV.  What results is the best qualities of steel for tools: ductility, hardness etc., suffice to say good ones never deform, the lesser ones may snap, and the best will not yield, you can apply quite a bit of torque to them to deal with the stuck screw and it will be worth the cost when that happens.

A set of 6-7 micro drivers from Wiha will run about $20-30.  I also have long shafted micro drivers from Taiwan that cost $5 for a whole set, good for reaching into deep slots, they are CV steel, see photo.   You can see in this photo the alignment issues with the Taiwan drivers.  They are not bent by me but were made that way, they cannot be straightened because the steel is hard.

When I get these in computer stores I test it by taking a long nose on the shelving and try to bend the heads, if it doesn't yield, that cheapo will likely work well.  If it breaks, I give it the service person and tell them the product is defective.

Security drivers are another issue, as they are less prolific, Taiwan versions can be mixed.  While the steel is often good, the casting is subpar, yielding unevenly casted heads, that may not fit properly, or will apply torque in the wrong points, that could strip a screw.  What I've done is look at the tools on the shelve and compare the heads, I've mixed and matched the sets to get a perfect one, but again it depends if you have that much choice.  A $7 set of security drivers run $70 for a Wiha variant.

Finally, I never lend my good tools to anyone  ;)  That's the reason I have to buy more, they get lost.  I now have a set of Taiwan sacrificial tools for lending, or easy access, and keep the good one's locked away.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 06:14:04 pm »

Finally, I never lend my good tools to anyone  ;)  That's the reason I have to buy more, they get lost.  I now have a set of Taiwan sacrificial tools for lending, or easy access, and keep the good one's locked away.

Oh yes!!! My brother is very good in misusing my tools. I have to hide them and keep them close. Otherwise I am pretty sure I will find them in his Tool-Wagon. Probably in much worse condition.

It is amazing how many people take a screwdriver as Multitool. I recently found my brother making some cut and drill marks (on sheetmetal) with my nice, fine Wera PH-00 micro.... you may guess that I had been very happy about that.

After several cheap screwdrivers I bought one good set (Wera and Wiha often have basic sets) and they last much longer.... even better, you don't ruin the screws as well!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 11:16:34 pm »
For the small stuff, I prefer Wiha Drive-Loc series' (http://www.kctoolco.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=drive-loc&Submit=search), as it's longer than the fixed blades, or even standard system 4 or 6 for reaching into deep recesses, and can't back into the handle.

Drive-loc 4 Set

Drive-loc 6 Set Example (more blade choices in this series).

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 03:51:37 pm »
A lot of those single handle multiple head variants work nicely, I have a Taiwan copy in a portable kit,  much more compact.  Note the diameter of the shafts even in the Wiha's thicken compared to stand alone drivers with handles, and it may not fit cases that have deep small diameter wells with a screw at bottom.  For bench use, the thinner shafted ones work with most anything, and its money well spent for a Wiha since being small, thin and with less mass, being of quality steel becomes more critical to keep the head shape intact from heavy use and torque.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 09:06:44 pm »
Note the diameter of the shafts even in the Wiha's thicken compared to stand alone drivers with handles, and it may not fit cases that have deep small diameter wells with a screw at bottom.
The system 4 helps with this, as they're a smaller diameter (hex) than the standard .25"/6.3mm shafts (system 6).

Reason I ended up trying them, is in a few instances, the depth of the screw was greater than the blade length on the dedicated screwdriver (i.e. Philips #000), and I couldn't locate any longer models.  :( Fully extended, they're longer than the small blade length drivers, such as the Torx, small Philips, ... that only come in one length.

Won't get at everything, but they've let me get the job done most of the time. I do have dedicated long drivers that usually make up the short-falls of the set. No nut drivers or security bits in the system 4 set (there are additional blade styles available in Europe), so I went system 6 for those.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 02:05:43 pm »
That's great, system 6?  I'll give it a look.  I really need a set of compact, thin shafted security bits, any recommendations?
I do have the interchangeable head version, but so far I've not had trouble but its just a matter of time.

Note the diameter of the shafts even in the Wiha's thicken compared to stand alone drivers with handles, and it may not fit cases that have deep small diameter wells with a screw at bottom.
The system 4 helps with this, as they're a smaller diameter (hex) than the standard .25"/6.3mm shafts (system 6).

Reason I ended up trying them, is in a few instances, the depth of the screw was greater than the blade length on the dedicated screwdriver (i.e. Philips #000), and I couldn't locate any longer models.  :( Fully extended, they're longer than the small blade length drivers, such as the Torx, small Philips, ... that only come in one length.

Won't get at everything, but they've let me get the job done most of the time. I do have dedicated long drivers that usually make up the short-falls of the set. No nut drivers or security bits in the system 4 set (there are additional blade styles available in Europe), so I went system 6 for those.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 02:22:06 pm »
Saturation, on Chads toolbox site on the right side are the catalog pdf downloads for the lines they carry, Wera, Whia, Felo, Knipex, etc.
I found it easier to browse the catalogs and then punch the part number you are interested in into the CTB search box for pricing and availability.  They have so much stuff on the site it is frustrating even when you use the catagories on the left sidebar. But their prices cannot be beat.

If you are looking for Whia, system 4 is small shaft (4 is 4mm hex shafts)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:47:09 pm by robrenz »

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 04:36:18 pm »
Wiha is the brand to go for !

David.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 04:46:38 pm »
Excellent, thanks robrenz, will browse through on my Nexus 7!

Saturation, on Chads toolbox site on the right side are the catalog pdf downloads for the lines they carry, Wera, Whia, Felo, Knipex, etc.
I found it easier to browse the catalogs and then punch the part number you are interested in into the CTB search box for pricing and availability.  They have so much stuff on the site it is frustrating even when you use the catagories on the left sidebar. But their prices cannot be beat.

You are looking for Whia, system 4 is small shaft (4 is 4mm hex shafts)
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf