Author Topic: Oldish signal generators that can do 10-100Mhz square, sine, pulse signals  (Read 14379 times)

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
We decided a few months ago to upgrade the DSO once we can justify the need for the scope (ie once at least once of us - me - has learnt enough)

The cost of a fully features Agilent 3000X series means well have to use the upgrade feature and pick which features we can afford (unless they are a bit cheaper in 6 months or so)

If you do go for the 3000x, keep in mind the December deadline to get the free AWG option (although maybe by then they will have another different kind of sale).  Also I think eventually they will give everyone the 4Meg memory free like they do now on the 6000 and 7000 series so I am holding off buying that option unless really need it.

Keep an eye on Agilentused on ebay.  Same 3 year warranty but the scopes are about 30% or more off list price.  Right now they only have 500mhz 3000x scopes though.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
I restored an old Philips 100 MHz 1nS pulser and aligned it 3 times. first time using a Rigol 1102.
I was pleased with the result, but for 100 MHz you need a 1GHz scope. But it looked good at 10MHz and the signal was a sinewave at 100MHz but not distorted.
Then i go a Tek 7704 with 280MHz pulse response option. The square wave was not as nice as I thought. So i did it all over.
Then I got a 1GHz scope. The 100 MHz squarewave looked like shit. The pulses were not symetrical, snd at 100MHz the low periode was a fraction of the high period, it did not even got to zero volts. The lower bandwidth scopes did not show that. Also lots of overshoot and ripple. So Aligned it again. Now I had a nice square wave on all the scopes.

You have
Pulse generators ; pulsewidth, periode, rise and falltime adjustable, delay, sync in/outputs, adjustable amplitude  and offset, output varies from fast units dat do 0,5V in 50 Ohm but I have two units that go over 80V.
Function genertors: square, sine, triangle and sometimes more like step, pulse ect. Most units do max 1 to 10MHz, the better ones upto 20 MHz, dome extreems go over 20 ( my R&S AGFU does 50Mzhz in one mode) but there is a wide range in outputpower. Many modern units do no more as 10Vtt in a high Z load ( 5Vtt in 50 ohm) , some older units do 30Vtt in 50 ohm ( or more)
There are lso programmable versions.
Audiogenerators: they make a clean sinewave and older unite often in 600 ohm. Some can make large signals, my HP does 30Vrms/600 ohm
RF generators, most start between 500 KHz and 10 MHz and go up to as fancy as you can affort. Most times not in one range. Outputlevel in 50 ohm, but there are 75 ohm versions. The good ones have a adjustable attenuator as output regulation and a range from -140 dBm to + 20 dBm
Important is they have good harmonic attenuation.

Pulsers can be made easy with fast Tr and fixed output/ frequency but fast Tr and high frequency combined with adjustable output is more difficult.
They are not hard to find, philips, HP, tetronixs made fine ones. I have around 10 pulsers ordo, non was more as 30 euro. The fastest is 250 MHz ( that was for free)

Function generators is another story, everyone is looking for one. There are good ones. Bad ones but cheap ones are hard to find and with the specs you want you need a huge wallet. Tek TM5000 plugin FGs are not to hard to find and not to expensive

RF generators are a bit easyer to find as function gens. As 100 MHz is enough they will be cheap. Most people want the high frequency units ( hp8640 is a famous one)
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf