Author Topic: LT3080 TO-220-5 parts for sale - which Mr. Jones is so fond of!  (Read 5644 times)

Offline minime72706Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Apologies for making a second thread, but that one got derailed within one day (before I even had the parts in my hand) and I'm going to let it drop off. I did get some useful feedback, though!

I sourced 100 LT3080 through-hole components (full manufacturer part number = LT3080ET#PBF ) because I was irked by how much it cost to buy only 10 ($40 with shipping...) and I had hoped some people would be interested in them. They seem understocked considering how long it took Linear to send them to me. I'm selling them in lots of 5 (FIVE) which would cost me about $28 to buy from Linear. I have an eBay listing, but for obvious reasons, I'd be more willing to bargain with direct PayPal transactions (Fees...). Either way, if you're interested, make a comment here or make an offer on eBay. I'll only bump this thread once and if there is no interest, I will retreat with my tail between my legs and eat my mistake. They aren't terrible parts to have in stock in my "lab" anyways. I'm not sure how many of the original 100 that I want to part with, but at least half of them are up for grabs. I'll entertain a discount for requests for more than 5 parts (in multiples of five).

eBay auction: #200792817644

Cheers!

Keep the comments about more sensible "Lab PSU" designs or comparisons to the LM317 to yourselves! This train is staying on track.
I have more incomplete projects than I have digits and toes.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: LT3080 TO-220-5 parts for sale - which Mr. Jones is so fond of!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:54:57 pm »
8 more days in the listing - I probably won't re-list because of my severe overestimation of potential interest! Ooops!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:06:02 pm »
Hah! I guess my (true) threat to give up worked. I'm about to go to the post office to mail off my first sale! I'm also going to look into how much it would cost me to ship internationally with Parcel Post to the two people (so far) from other countries who have expressed interest.

Thanks guys!

The first buyer gets 6 instead of 5!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:38:51 am »
I don't plan to change the eBay listing, but given what I learned at the Post Office today, I will certainly entertain the idea of shipping to interested parties outside of The United States. Don't expect tracking information or anything though you can certainly request it if you're willing to pay more (I don't know what it costs extra, but I'll look into it if necessary).

Rest assured that my packaging techniques will be extremely overzealous, especially for those outside of the USA. I hope that Customs does not feel the need to open up the anti-static bags... (not that I expect chips this beefy to be easy to kill - it's the principle that I went through the trouble to package them properly so that they arrive intact).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:54:51 am »
I've got about three takers so far and there are about four days left in the eBay listing.
I am willing to ship international outside of eBay; in fact, I'm stopping by the post office with two such parcels today.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 06:23:06 pm »
Sounds like you miscalculated the demand. And I must say, I don't feel sorry for you. You tried to prey on the eevblog community and failed.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 07:51:41 pm »
I make nearly no profit with the prices I have asked, so I don't see how I'm preying on anyone.
Why don't you stop acting like a cunt? (I think the use of this word is warranted given that you just came into my thread to insult my character and then leave.)

You are correct though, I did make a gross miscalculation. On the bright-side, I'm no longer averse to shipping internationally.

EDIT:
Sold 5 to a gentleman in Singapore through an agent in Oregon (Tricky!) via eBay: Maybe $1 profit.
Sold 5 to a gentleman in Indonesia: I made effectively $0 profit.
Sold 10 to a gentleman in France: Possibly $3 profit?

If you want me to, I will spell out the EXACT math that proves I'm making no profit and not really benefiting from this at all.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:01:26 pm by minime72706 »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:55:19 pm »
Why don't you stop acting like a cunt?

And pigs will fly.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 07:58:31 pm »
Why don't you stop acting like a cunt?

And pigs will fly.

I think I made a really dumb face when I read that. Ha.

Offline Short Circuit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 08:39:07 pm »
a) Profit or not, who cares. Actually, I think it's a bit silly not to profit. Why taking risk if there's nothing in return?
b) Just try again when DJ continues his power supply design, I'd expect more interest when the design gets closer to final.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 12:10:59 am »
a) Profit or not, who cares. Actually, I think it's a bit silly not to profit. Why taking risk if there's nothing in return?
b) Just try again when DJ continues his power supply design, I'd expect more interest when the design gets closer to final.

... Replying to (a), I guess my short memory works against me here. The financial hit/mistake I made was almost 6 weeks ago and at this point I don't "feel it" anymore. Now I just want to send off some of them to help people who have trouble procuring parts like these. I set out to sell some of them, so that's what I'm doing. Also... I'm grateful to the people who did bite considering my luck for the first 3 weeks of the eBay listing.
Also, the shipping and taxes I paid ended up offsetting much of the savings from the 100 quantity price-break.

As for (b), yeah we'll see!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 03:49:14 pm »
Up to my 4th parcel now (25 LT3080s sold in total). A couple more orders and I'll feel like it was worth it. :3
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:52:06 pm by minime72706 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 06:20:59 pm »
JUST LETTING YOU KNOW THAT THE EBAY LISTING ENDS IN JUST OVER 6 HOURS.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf