Author Topic: Arduino kits on ebay  (Read 5483 times)

Offline VertigoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Arduino kits on ebay
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:30:28 am »
i'm looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160596341039&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

there is a very big price difference between this and local and other sellers.
does this look suspicious to you guys?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Arduino kits on ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:14:58 am »
the seller is 4K++ feedback with 99.8% +ve rating, accept paypal. with complete description of shipping, return policy etc. from my view its authentic, just aware the seller/item maybe from china, stated in shipping method.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 04:58:33 am »
from my view its authentic

Really? The auction clearly states that it's a clone!

The Arduino is relatively expensive for what it is, and because the design is open it's trivially easy for anyone to clone and sell it cheaply. The name is trademarked, so clones are supposed to be given different names (see the Arduino FAQ).

Some people have reported quality issues with clones (though there were also some with the official boards), so don't expect or ask for support from the official supplier if you find any production defects. You may feel better about supporting the 'real thing' since the money will theoretically go toward developing new products, but that's a personal choice.

Anyway, they're fundamentally pretty simple so not a lot can go wrong, and it seems like a good price for the package.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:03:34 am »
They state it's a clone, but they use the Arduino name and symbol on the board in clear violation of trademark and OSHW goodwill.
But maybe it's an old photo, as they say the board changed to a clone board on June 1.

In any case, if you like the price, buy it.

Dave.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:40:57 am »
i think i will :)

thxz guys.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 01:04:07 pm »
from my view its authentic
Really? The auction clearly states that it's a clone!
authentic i mean the seller is not a scam that will only take your money and run away. by stating its a clone, then they are more honest than any other clone sellers.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 01:14:17 pm »
The clones can be just as good for much less money.  I purchased a Mega2560 clone for about 1/2 of buying the "real" Arduino and it works fine.

One thing to watch out for is the clone proto boards.  Many are made with offset headers instead of the more expensive longer pin headers.  This means you can't stack multiple (at least on the mega) because the pins at a 90 degree angle don't line up.  Not a problem if you are doing a single shield.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 11:14:16 pm »
i'm looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160596341039&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

there is a very big price difference between this and local and other sellers.
does this look suspicious to you guys?

No - not at all, just another Chinese clone seller. It is a nice bundle, however as usual they're selling a copy of the adafruit protoshield that has been reproduced without attribution. Such is life. If you are interested I have published a couple of Arduino tutorials here: http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/tutorials

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 09:10:38 am »
lol a couple?
thnxz dude, that looks pretty sweet right there :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf