Author Topic: HP 6632B power supply / electronic load in UK  (Read 25650 times)

Offline noodlebear

• Contributor
Re: HP 6632B power supply / electronic load in UK
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 09:25:01 pm »
Received mine today. Definitely too noisy for me, also that transformer hum is quite loud, I'll have to do Andy's mod and add a foot inside.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:54 am »
Just ordered mine. The seller accepted my offer for 100GBP. Shipping to my country is very reasonable as well - only 30GBP for a device that weighs 15kg.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 04:02:45 pm »
I'm glad you're all enjoying them.

From testing these, I've found that some at low current have the case resonant with the fan speed.

If anyone else wants to order, I've still got a lot more in stock, however I've almost run out of monthly selling allowance again so please email kev at kjds-ltd dot com for details.

Offline noodlebear

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 05:04:00 pm »
I'm glad you're all enjoying them.

From testing these, I've found that some at low current have the case resonant with the fan speed.

If anyone else wants to order, I've still got a lot more in stock, however I've almost run out of monthly selling allowance again so please email kev at kjds-ltd dot com for details.

Just out of interest, where did you find them all? Seems like a huge number (>50?) and all in used condition!

Offline Telstar

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 01:54:14 pm »
Near silent PC fans will usually move much less air and are able to overcome less static pressure than the old noisy types.

Yep, you have to look at fans designed for watercooling radiators, but if the size is under 120mm, it will be a bit hard to find a good and quiet fan.

Offline noodlebear

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 02:08:08 pm »
Near silent PC fans will usually move much less air and are able to overcome less static pressure than the old noisy types.

Yep, you have to look at fans designed for watercooling radiators, but if the size is under 120mm, it will be a bit hard to find a good and quiet fan.

Right, that's what the consensus seems to be, but I don't see why from the specs.

The original fan: http://www.ebmpapst.com/en/products/compact-fans/axial-compact-fans/axial_compact_fans_detail.php?pID=53771 moves about 18 CFM at the lowest pressure.

This one: http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=4&prod=75 moves 20 CFM.

Although graphs against pressure aren't given for the fractal, there is a maximum pressure given, I'm just not sure how to translate that into a graph similar to the papst one.

I've sent them an email to see if they'll send me a graph.

Offline Telstar

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 09:09:03 pm »
Also note that the published specs of fans are usually WAY optimistic. Try to find test reports on computer hardware websites. Only the most reputable brands are decently consistent with specs (such as Sanyo-denki, Noctua. Delta).

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 10:07:51 pm »
6632B fans are cross-breed between concrete mixer and russian turbojet. 

Seriously guys, almost anything is quieter than these 20 year old ball bearing fans...  ::)

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 03:42:03 pm »
ebay have very kindly increased my selling limits, so I've now put a few more of these back on ebay. Should anyone want to buy direct then they'll be cheaper.

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 07:39:21 pm »
Wutttt  ....

Does ebay regulate how many units you are allowed to sell   :--
I didn't know that ....

Is that based on amount of $$$ or number of units or ??

/Bingo

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 07:59:04 pm »
Wutttt  ....

Does ebay regulate how many units you are allowed to sell   :--
I didn't know that ....

Is that based on amount of $$$ or number of units or ??

/Bingo

It's based on both. Until you've a confirmed address and bank account it only 10 items and £1000 per month. Once those are confirmed then it goes up to £3500 and 100 items per month. After that you can increase it once a month but you need a phone call to their selling allowance team where they review your performance. Fortunately I've been reasonably successful in increasing that each month. it does make quite a lot of sense, there's a significant learning curve to be climbed with getting quality stock in place, packaging, dealing with customers emails, other selling channels, keeping the accounts up to date, sorting out VAT returns, visiting suppliers, visiting customers, repairing units that don't work before sale. I spent most of December where I spent several hours of each day repairing microscopes. I've still got a few to fix but at least I enjoy fixing them.

I'm used to running a business, so it's not that much of a struggle but I can see why ebay don't want sellers trying to dive into the deep end and drowning.

I'm looking forwards to next month when there'll be some new test equipment on sale that hopefully will be as popular as the power supplies have been.

Offline Christopher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2013, 12:43:19 pm »
Got mine recently, need to add some binding jacks soon.

Very loud transformer hum and fan. Nothing wrong with that though.

Going to get one or two more over the coming month.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 10:28:43 pm »
. I spent most of December where I spent several hours of each day repairing microscopes. I've still got a few to fix but at least I enjoy fixing them.
You mean you have more of those stereo microscopes? They do look interesting but it may take some effort convincing the misses to drive to England :-)
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2013, 05:24:39 am »
Just take a train through the froggies and enjoy the views.

Offline BillyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2013, 09:30:29 pm »
Just to say thanks to KJDS for sending me one of these in good condition, good time and very well packaged for transit. Good dealing with you and thanks for the quick and efficient service.

Billy.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 08:04:03 am »
I picked one of these up too, arrived yesterday. Working perfectly if a little dusty on the inside. Dont think the fan is too noisy, certainly quieter than my rigol ds1102!

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 08:41:53 am »
It's good to know they're arriving safely.

I've just listed a large list of new arrivals in the buy/sell/wanted forum, including some more interesting HP supplies.

Offline Tooms

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 09:25:15 am »
Hi

i see that your selling an video microscope and i think Dave is looking for one, so maybe there is an option for a deal between Dave and you if that is what he needs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVCYK-C1380-professionsal-colour-video-microscope-with-boom-stand-and-light-/350786639816?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Equipment_ET&hash=item51ac8357c8

/Tooms

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 01:38:23 pm »
Lol, just thought i'd see if i could get some hp replacement feet for my 6632...

erm yea saw the price and instead bought some large rubber feet off ebay!

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2013, 12:57:18 pm »
Just saw this , and it could be a promising fan replacement ... If i could only get those fans in EU  :--

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-6632a-fan-replacement-and-front-panel-posts/

/Bingo

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2013, 09:00:19 pm »
Yea saw that thread, i'm not bothered about the fan noise but i have made a box with posts that mirrors the rear connections on about 1/2 meter of 2.5mm cable, prefer that to front mounted posts and you get easy access to the sense connections as well.

Will post pics up.

Wouldnt have thought finding a decent fan would be a problem if you wanted to swap it, unless its an odd size?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf