Author Topic: Old computer/technology books  (Read 2669 times)

Offline wastrixTopic starter

Old computer/technology books
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:32:25 am »
Hi all,

My first post here, I have a friend who has a vast quantity of old computer/ technology related books that he needs to get rid of ASAP.

I realise this is not "real" electronics, but I'm hoping I can arouse some nostalgia - TRS-80, IBM PC, Turbo-xyz languages, OS/2, Pre-2000 Windows, MS-DOS, early Linux, etc., etc.

I also realise that these books are next to worthless, but I just can't bear to throw them out, which I will have do soon. I can't find anyone who wants to take them.

You can see some photos here: http://wasdomain.net46.net/cbp

You can take as many as you want, they're free. You just pay shipping from Orange, NSW, 2800 Australia. I may even throw in some of the shipping.

If you don't want any of them (and there are more, so many I can practically do requests - anything from 80s, 90s, plus magazines, New Scientist, etc from a similar era), does anyone have any idea where I can get rid of them (apart from, throwing them out, burning them, etc.)

Thanks,
William

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
Re: Old computer/technology books
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 03:55:29 am »
last year I was in the exact same situation as you. I had 2 bookshelves full of old tech-books from the 80's and 90's, hardcover and
softcovers.  I had boxes of every Dr. Dobbs magazine, every single MSDN magazine, old Compute! , Kilobaud from the 70's,
Byte 70s 80s 90s, .Circuit Cellar, Radio Electronics, QST, , yada yada yada

I tried for ages to sell them, donate them, then give them away,  no one wanted a single one(!). I tried libraries, universities, computer clubs, etc, etc. etc.  I was spending more time trying to find out what to do with them than it was worth, and I didn't
want to move them to a new apartment yet again...

In the end, I ended up doing what you are dreading.. and I tossed them all into a large recycling bin at my apartment complex.

Much of the magazines I could get on CD-ROM, so that was good.  The textbooks and manuals, etc. were really just not worth keeping, to anyone.

You may find the same thing...

Online G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
Re: Old computer/technology books
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 08:33:19 pm »
Not old enough for me I collect technical books dating from 1890's to 1930's.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf