Author Topic: FS: SGI Silicon Graphics O2 O2+ R12K 270Mhz MIPS CPU  (Read 4782 times)

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
FS: SGI Silicon Graphics O2 O2+ R12K 270Mhz MIPS CPU
« on: July 23, 2014, 07:39:24 pm »
for sale a great Silicon Graphics O2 R12K 270Mhz CPU module, Hardly Tested working, plastic bracket  included
you can Upgrade Your Silicon Graphics O2 System!

You can install this module on both O2 and O2+ Systems easily
No problem about that (1), and when installed it looks this way

(1) the O2/O2+ mobo are compatible across all CPU families although there are different part numbers/revisions.
to install an R12K CPU You need:
- R10K/R12K PCI riser (you should have it)
- R10K/R12K Backplate (you should have it)
- updated PROM version (you should already have it)
- the appropriate plastic CPU bracket (i include it)
You can update the O2/O2+ with all the CPUs that are available for the computer.
You should check that you have the right PROM version before installing the R12000
otherwise the O2/O2+ will not boot
The last PROM is v4.18 and with it you should be able to install all the processors.
The PROM is automatically upgraded when you install a new version of IRIX.
IRIX 6.5.8 is absolutely perfect fine for the 270Mhz R12000
I had that configuration during quite a lot of time and it worked just fine.

any more questions ? contact me =)

Offline kfitch42

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FS: SGI Silicon Graphics O2 O2+ R12K 270Mhz MIPS CPU
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:07:50 pm »
Wow!!! That is a blast from the past ... the memories. Back in college (late 90s) I worked in a lab where we had a bunch of SGIs (I think they were O2's) and I was amazed that they could beat (just barely) the PCs running at 5 times (IIRC) the clock rate. We also had a bunch of DEC Alphas (we even had a couple running WinNT, there was a very short period of time where the fastest way to run x86 code was on an emulator on an Alpha) ... it was a sad day when Intel effectively torpedoed the Alpha.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:30:00 am »
Wow!!! That is a blast from the past ... the memories. Back in college (late 90s) I worked in a lab where we had a bunch of SGIs (I think they were O2's) and I was amazed that they could beat (just barely) the PCs running at 5 times (IIRC) the clock rate. We also had a bunch of DEC Alphas (we even had a couple running WinNT, there was a very short period of time where the fastest way to run x86 code was on an emulator on an Alpha) ... it was a sad day when Intel effectively torpedoed the Alpha.

FX32 never run the x86 code faster than native, it did keep optimizing the code but never got in par to the 486 for example.

As for Intel torpedoing the Alpha chip, well, Intel got caught with their pants down with NDAd technology from DEC in their pentium, they "settled" by purchasing DECs IP  :-DD

Nice thing about the Dec Alpha running NT is that they had Visual Studio that will generate native Alpha code, but only using 32 bits :(

If you wanted to take advantage, True64 Unix or whatever it was call used the full chip including it's internal 128 bit databus.

Edit: some trivia, the chief architect of Windows NT (WNT) was involved in developing VMS.
So H.A.L is to I.B.M as V.M.S is to W.N.T. maybe an urban legend but funny nevertheless.

As far as SGI O2 are those older than the Indigo series? I don't recall anymore.
I did like SGI motto "we will never build a monochrome system" or something like that.

Still DEC Alpha was the best (computational wise). But for example Allegro by Cadence was a beast on SGI under IRIX.

BTW, any reason there is not a price on the board? or is it one of those that if you must ask you can't afford it?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:35:21 am by miguelvp »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:12:06 pm »
As far as SGI O2 are those older than the Indigo series? I don't recall anymore.

Indigo is different from Indigo2

O2 is the successor of Indy, as Octave/Octave2 is the successor of Impact/Indigo2

Impact is an indigo2 machine expanded plus a R10K CPU module

O2 is newer than indigo and impact, especially O2+
the difference between O2 and O2+ is that O2 is R5K, O2+ is R10K or R12K
other differences are related to (1), see the quote

(1) the O2/O2+ mobo are compatible across all CPU families although there are different part numbers/revisions.
to install an R12K CPU You need:
- R10K/R12K PCI riser (you should have it)
- R10K/R12K Backplate (you should have it)
- updated PROM version (you should already have it)
- the appropriate plastic CPU bracket (i include it)
You can update the O2/O2+ with all the CPUs that are available for the computer.
You should check that you have the right PROM version before installing the R12000
otherwise the O2/O2+ will not boot
The last PROM is v4.18 and with it you should be able to install all the processors.
The PROM is automatically upgraded when you install a new version of IRIX.
IRIX 6.5.8 is absolutely perfect fine for the 270Mhz R12000
I had that configuration during quite a lot of time and it worked just fine.

as successor of Octave, in the last modern line there are:
- Fuel (1xR16K @ 600Mhz)
- Tezro (4xR16K @ 800MHz)

Irix is EOL since 2009, the last release was 6.5.30

BTW, any reason there is not a price on the board? or is it one of those that if you must ask you can't afford it?

simply i forget it, i am asking 100 euro, it's a very rare CPU module

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 06:54:47 pm »

the module looks like this

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:44:17 pm »