Author Topic: (WTT) DDR2 800 laptop memory for PC2 5300  (Read 2513 times)

Offline GreyWoolfeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
(WTT) DDR2 800 laptop memory for PC2 5300
« on: June 04, 2014, 11:24:15 pm »
I have 2, 2GB sticks of DDR2 800 memory out of a dead HP Pavillion DV9617NR that I would like to trade for 2, 2GB sticks of PC2 5300 memory for my Dell Latitude D620.  Would prefer here in the US as mail costs are cheaper.  If anyone is interested, PM me or respond here.  EBay pricing is just about the same for both with the DDR2 memory just a little bit more so it would be an even swap.  If anyone needs a LCD screen, they can have the computer for $50 plus shipping.  If you want to check shipping costs, my zip code is 32132.  The system board and hard drive are bad and my friend doesn't want to sink any money into it and I am not interested in spending the $200 for a refurbished systemboard and HD.  The $50 goes to his wife as she wants to get him a Samsung Galaxy tablet.  I just checked eBay and I saw an ad for a screen for $70 with free shipping.  Here, you get the whole computer, sans hard drive and memory if I can do a swap.   Thanks for looking.  If anyone is curious what happened, the onboard nVidia chip has failed and isn't worth the repair as it is 7 years old.  It is a known issue with these laptops.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
Re: (WTT) DDR2 800 laptop memory for PC2 5300
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:30:49 am »
Its the dell D630`s that had the gpu problems isn`t it ? .The DDR2 800 should be compatible/backward compatible with either of those laptops .

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:23:20 am »
Flux, it's the HP that has the bad gpu.  When I look for memory, I check crucial.com for compatible memory.  Being different generations, I didn't think that there would be a backward compatibility.  You're right, the memory does work.  I am happy that the Dell is up to 4Gb of memory as I am running Win7 Ultimate on it and the extra memory makes a difference.  Now, to get rid of the carcass ;D.  If no one is interested here, I will put it on the local CraigsList and see if I get a bite there.  If not, then it is off to the recycle center.  Thanks for the info. 
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline lpc32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:31:24 pm »
PC2-5300 is just DDR2 666. And by the way, sometimes you can solve compatibility problems by editing the module's SPD to report slower timings.

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:24:14 pm »
Flux, it's the HP that has the bad gpu.

Yes it was around 2.30a.m. when i posted that,i was tired . :palm:  .Anyway the D620 is also well known for gpu problems, its worth replacing the gpu thermal pad with a copper shim.

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:03:38 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I will look into it.  I really don't use the laptop all that much.  I prefer my dual monitor desktop.  That is a good mod to do, though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf