Author Topic: thu-hole resistor assortment  (Read 4831 times)

Offline benjamin545Topic starter

• Contributor
thu-hole resistor assortment
« on: June 07, 2014, 05:46:46 am »
i have purchased a 1/4 watt metal film resistor assortment off ebay before. it was kinda cheap for how many you got and had a ton of values. the problem was, the color coding was awful. blue green violate and black all look the same, orange and red are too close, silver, gray,  and white are almost the same, yellow, brown, and gold are almost the same. so its awful to work with. plus 1/4 is kinda small, i like the look and feel of 1/2 watt and 1 watt resistors.

so, where could i buy online a large assortment of high quality e24 1 (or even 2) watt resistors with well done color coding. ive tried ebay and amazon and the like bot for some reason they always want to do e12 and basically skip over a lot of values. if you have 5% accurate resistors, that means you should make them in E24 values to fill in all the gaps right? i don't mind 1% at E24, even though that doesn't fill in all the gaps that 1% could be broken into (E96 i believe) i don't want to have to manage more than 24 values.

i don't care all too much if the are metal film or carbon i just want a "completed" set of E24 value 1-2 watt resistors with well done color codes. i don't want to HAVE to buy each possible value individually if i don't have to, id rather it just be a kit altogether.

Offline christopher iles

• Regular Contributor
Re: thu-hole resistor assortment
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 06:26:17 am »
A bit tedious but use an ohmmeter and measure the values then put them in re-sealable bags and label them.

You'll know the exact values then,

Regards,

Chris.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:54:43 am »
Velleman is making E3 and E12 resistor assortments - they have good color coding. - find your local distributor for those.

this is the item:
https://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=350891

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 02:28:18 pm »
Get or build one of these, it's an eye saver.  As I get older, I find that I just can't see anymore without a million candlepower and my reading glasses.  This thing is really fairly handy for quick resistor value checks when I can't tell what color band is what.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 03:08:15 pm »
You can go to Digikey or Farnell and buy 50 pcs out of each resistor value you want.

It will be more expensive because obviously people on ebay buy packs of 5000 resistors from no-name companies and price goes down with quantity.. for example it's £0.021 each for 10pcs+ but it's £0.007 each if you get 4000  .. so £28 for 4000 resistors: http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity/lr0204f100r/resistor-metal-100r-0-25w-1/dp/2329854

But you have the advantage of getting each 50pcs in its own bag with a label saying the value and everything you want.

ps. Metal film are more expensive... if you can live with carbon film resistors (they're 5% or higher compared to 1% , worse ppm/K), those are much cheaper usually... could be better than half the price.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 03:11:34 pm by mariush »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 03:25:22 pm »
Yes colors are hard to read  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/rant-why-resistor-colors-are-so-difficult-to-read/

As for value set, for vero boards I am using SMD resistors. A single booklet like this one http://amzn.com/B006G0ILS6 has everything I need in a well organized form. Soldering them (0805 or even 0603) is just as easy as through hole.

Offline benjamin545Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 07:55:00 pm »
as far as "making" my own kit selection. is there a particular brand that is known for still making high quality resistors of this type? for other components it really doesn't matter much for the brand or quality of the product for home hobby use as long as it works, since capacitors and IC chips often just have a model or value number stamped on them, you just read that. but for thru-hole resistors, they are commonly used, and its standard practice for them to have color coding. so i want an easy to read color coding on them. thats one of the reasons i want 1watt resistors since its a lot more area to print and read from. also more useful since they can handle the higher stress.

im mostly using them for breadboards so smd isn't really an option. im thinking that anything under 10 ohms, i might be better off looking for a higher wattage resistor anyway, and anything over 1k ohm probably wont be subject to high watts, but i still just like the feel of the 1watt resistor.

im probably going to have to just buy them individually off digikey or farnel or such, looks like its not too cheap to do that way though. its just odd that everyone wants to sell them in E12 values. why is that?

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 10:11:51 pm »
On a related note , I found out I was color blind when I went into the army and signed up for radio relay technician .
A long time later I figured out how to read colors - I picked up a small lighted 45 power hand held optic , when I use it the colors just pop out no question .
But I still measure before installing .

Offline WarSim

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 05:24:23 am »
Have you considered buying a value added e24 set of valued resistors?  The valued resistors are less common but do come in all types.  Some people call the valued resistors MIL spec resistors, but not all are actually MIL spec'd. 
Just be warned on the low wattage resistors the numbers are pretty small. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf