Author Topic: FS: New 1080P USB microscope for easy SMT soldering  (Read 44636 times)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: FS: New 1080P USB microscope for easy SMT soldering
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 05:40:27 pm »
What are the specs of the lens/mount you sell? Do you have a datasheet?
e.g. back/focal length, aperture, angle of view, distortion
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline diyinhkTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2014, 10:17:55 pm »

back/focal length, aperture, angle of view is related to the sensor size, sensor light sensitivity, sensor CRA etc.
number is only useful when compare between similar things to a reference.
angle of view is also useless in this thing,
The magnifying ratio is optimized and fixed to suitable for most popular smd size, object size 31x17mm to monitor 1920*1080 pixel. The working distance is also fixed at the great 15cm

You are welcome compare the quality in the capture video sample to distortion from other microscope at similar lighting condition(four 5mm led lighting at 15cm), similar magnifying ratio(31*17mm to 1920*1080pixel) and similar frame rate(30fps)

capture video from 1080p lifecam studio
http://www.diyinhk.com/support/cam1080a.mp4
The first video demonstrate the motion quality of the microscope, it's capture at the great 15cm working distance and with only four 5mm cree led for lighting. Most usb camera only capable of static quality, when the object is moving, serious motion blur will happen and it is not good for real time smt soldering.

http://www.diyinhk.com/support/cam1080b.mp4
The second video demonstrate the depth of field of the microscope, the PCB is 45 degree to the table. The XMOS chip is 10x10mm, using triangle formula the DOF is >10mm which is unbeliveable huge for this kind of device

Offline quanttrom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2014, 10:22:04 pm »
A scope is shipped to eevblog, third party review should be more comprehensive ^-^

Thank you! Waiting for an unbiased professional review ! :)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2014, 11:50:08 pm »
You are welcome compare the quality in the capture video sample to distortion from other microscope at similar lighting condition(four 5mm led lighting at 15cm), similar magnifying ratio(31*17mm to 1920*1080pixel) and similar frame rate(30fps)

No thanks, I was just after the specs of the lens, as this is the piece I'm looking at buying.  Back/focal length, aperture, angle of view, distortion (of the lens).
It mentions you are using a high quality lens, I thought you might have these specs available.

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 09:04:05 pm »
The magnifying ratio is optimized and fixed to suitable for most popular smd size, object size 31x17mm to monitor 1920*1080 pixel. The working distance is also fixed at the great 15cm
Is the working distance and magnifcation ratio fixed by your lens design or is it possible to modify it by screwing the lens in or out?

I'd prefer less magnification and more working distance, e.g. 60mm wide field of view.

Can you do that with your lens mod kit or do you need a different lens for that?

You wrote about a CS mount which would give more lens options. Do you have a link to a store selling such mount adapters? Or do you sell these yourself? I couldn't find that in your shop.

Offline matkar

• Regular Contributor
  • Sixty percent of the time it works EVERY time.
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2014, 06:55:24 pm »
Hi diyinhk!
Very nice solution indeed! I watched your videos and I have some questions for you.
What is the lag time for this camera. I know it's a camera property but I still can't find any reference. I guess it depends on FPS. Having this info would be nice.
How disturbing is lagging when soldering?
Or is this camera good for inspection only?
Is lens made of glass or plastic?
In the beginning of the thread you mention a pretty interesting discount in case of higher number of interested. Can you inform us if this offer still stands and under what conditions? I'd be interested in modification kit if the price was reduced to a certain amount but you have to say what is viable to you.

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2014, 05:53:57 am »
the working distance 15cm and magnifcation ratio 31mm(1920 pixel) x 17mm(1080 pixel) is fixed and optimized for viewing smd size and doing realtime smt soldering.  The finished device is sealed with threadlock glue everywhere for maximum stability and it is impossible to disassemble and modification again. If different working distance and magnifcation ratio is needed, deeper modification with the CS lens mounting is the best way to go. Many famous manufacturer also has cs lens line up http://www.ricoh.com/fa_security/lens/

Is the working distance and magnifcation ratio fixed by your lens design or is it possible to modify it by screwing the lens in or out?

I'd prefer less magnification and more working distance, e.g. 60mm wide field of view.

Can you do that with your lens mod kit or do you need a different lens for that?

You wrote about a CS mount which would give more lens options. Do you have a link to a store selling such mount adapters? Or do you sell these yourself? I couldn't find that in your shop.

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2014, 06:16:12 am »
Thank you for your interest!
The lag time is the same as microsoft top of line 1080p lifecam studio if the sensor receive the same amount of light,
The device is designed for real time smt soldering, the lag time is not noticeable with only the built-in four 5mm led lighting at 15cm working distance. Computer with fast cpu(Quad Core+) and fast display card(Nvidia GTX 590+) is needed and Monitor with 2560*1440+ resolution(Dell U2711) is recommended for watching 1080p video using virtualdub in realtime. The video is 1920*1080 pixel, Windows task bar and the Virtualdub application menu requires additional pixel space to display. A fast harddisk is also needed if capturing at 1080p resolution video is needed. The video will have serious lag if the computer is not fast enough to play 1080p video in real time from the usb 2.0 port. It's like playing Blu-ray Disc in the previous generation computer which do play DVD well.
I have also try many cheap usb cam from ebay, low resolution, serious lagging, serious blur in corner, super short 1-3cm working distance, and they are good toy for kids inspection. This device is not designed for the same class.

Hi diyinhk!
Very nice solution indeed! I watched your videos and I have some questions for you.
What is the lag time for this camera. I know it's a camera property but I still can't find any reference. I guess it depends on FPS. Having this info would be nice.
How disturbing is lagging when soldering?
Or is this camera good for inspection only?
Is lens made of glass or plastic?
In the beginning of the thread you mention a pretty interesting discount in case of higher number of interested. Can you inform us if this offer still stands and under what conditions? I'd be interested in modification kit if the price was reduced to a certain amount but you have to say what is viable to you.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:18:12 am by diyinhk »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2014, 06:52:58 am »

back/focal length, aperture, angle of view is related to the sensor size, sensor light sensitivity, sensor CRA etc.
number is only useful when compare between similar things to a reference.
You are entirely right of course. Luckily the needed parameters are known since it's based on a known microsoft lifecam. So if you can quote the number then we are fully capable of worrying about the sense versus nonsense of such things. So could you please tell us the back/focal length, aperture, angle of view that is related to the known sensor size, known sensor light sensitivity and known sensor CRA? Thanks. :)

Offline jusanother

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2014, 12:19:16 am »
After first spotting this product on one of Dave's vids I decided to give it a try. First I lurked on eBay to scoop a LifeCam Studio at the right price and then I intended to retro fit the lens myself.

So my LifeCam Studio arrived today and I have to say I am unimpressed with the frame rate and lag. It is running on an Intel 3.3Ghz quad core machine and I will add at no point does it max the CPU out but it will not give me 30fps at 1080p. I can get 20fps max. It will give 30fps @ 720p, however when using Virtualdub you can see the frame rate drop as the amount of movement in the picture increases. Wave your hand and you get 15fps or less, honestly what is the point of a high frame rate if nothing is moving, may as well be a photograph! I really thought the 100 pound Microsoft webcam would be the "solid" part of this product. It could be my machine I guess but it's a fairly clean, up to date, and un-abused install of Win7. Webcam itself has latest firmware.

Only point worth mentioning is DIYINHK suggests (on his website) selecting the MJPEG compression in the cameras "Capture Pin" dialog. I have no such option in the dialog.

So moving on I wondered if DIYINHK would care to tell me what distance apart the mounting holes on his lens are ?

I have the idea to try it on this camera this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141100642453
datasheet here http://www.securitycamera2000.com/download/CMQ2356X_Manual.pdf

Cam.

EDIT. This guy http://web.archive.org/web/20121228183133/http://ghonis2.ho8.com/lifecam/lifecam3.html mentioned earlier in this thread suggested removing the Microsoft LifeCam software would speed things up. While removing it did enable the MJPEG option it didn't speed things up.

Also tried AMCAP instead of VirtualDub, 2fps ish slower if anything.

Also noticed that just simply holding (not moving) your hand in front of the camera very badly effects the frame rate. Still unimpressed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:07:00 am by jusanother »

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2014, 12:36:16 am »
I really thought the 100 pound Microsoft webcam would be the "solid" part of this product.

I don't know what the specs of the lifecam are, but are you getting enough light on the subject?  Try some more lighting on the subject and see if it makes a difference.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline jusanother

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2014, 01:55:46 am »
Good thinking, dark image, longer shutter, slower fps. Indeed more light does help but it only serves to limit the reduction in fps due to image darkness. It hasn't elevated my max fps. Worth nothing however that turning "Auto Exposure" off gives an almost steady frame rate and seems to reduce lag (could just be me wrt the lag), but still no 30fps @ 1080p. Certainly getting better however and you may have just saved it from going back on eBay, thanks !

Never the less if the OP is reading I would still like to see some mounting dimensions for the lens.

Cam.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:02:33 am by jusanother »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2014, 02:38:09 am »
simply holding (not moving) your hand in front of the camera very badly effects the frame rate

Interesting, and not what I would have expected. If it is compressed data coming up from the sensor (which I think it has to be to get decent speed out of USB2) then smaller movement would affect things less. Thus waggling the whole camera may show a hefty degradation, but just your soldering iron tip and tweezers moving might be OK.

If your static hand is having an effect, then maybe it is causing the picture to change in some way. Perhaps your skin tone is affecting the brightness, or the position is causing the autofocus to wobble and create lots of (very small) image changes.

Offline jusanother

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2014, 11:07:57 am »
Interesting, and not what I would have expected. If it is compressed data coming up from the sensor......

Exactly and that's what confused me, but sleemanj spotted what is happening, the camera is lengthening the shutter period to keep the image bright when you put your dark hand in front of the lens. This then causes the slower frame rate, more motion blur etc. Switch off auto exposure and use plenty of light and the camera is much nicer to use.

Cam.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:02:37 pm by jusanother »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2014, 04:40:58 am »
Just shot my review of this. It worked well.

Offline jusanother

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2014, 12:10:30 pm »
Just pulled the pin and ordered the lens conversion, looks like I need more light ! Good review.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2014, 12:31:30 pm »
Just pulled the pin and ordered the lens conversion, looks like I need more light ! Good review.

Allow me to remind you that I have a Lifecam plus conversion for sale:

FS (UK) Lifecam HD microscope hack

:-+

Offline jusanother

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2014, 12:54:23 pm »
Bollox too late, I'd would of had that to, but literally just ordered the conversion !

Offline jusanother

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2014, 11:25:58 am »
Here are the dimensions of the lens for others wishing to fit it to a different camera. Apologies for the hand drawn sketch :) All dimensions in millimetres.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2014, 05:49:10 pm »
So that looks like a M12x0.5 18mm mount?

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2014, 05:30:30 pm »
If what he says is right, It is indeed a great hack !

I would like to see a video of someone using it, the working distance, the whole setup. Essentially a review before I go and spend $50 on the lens.

He's a budding-hacking-manufacturing company start up,
Maybe he will send out a free sample!   :clap:
Recharged Volt-Nut

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2014, 05:34:37 pm »
There is nothing cannot be no right :) it's just a replacement of the lens in the microsoft top of line 1080p lifecam studio. The quality is depend on the lens and lifecam. Any lens can be installed on the lifecam, there are even people install the canon EF 24-70mm to a webcam, but it's indeed too big for daily use. Hope eveybody can have fun with it.

took the idea right out of my head, was wondering what it would be like to mount my Nikon 105 / 2.8 macro lens in front of that life-cam.  Interesting concept, might have to have a bigger Bunsen Burner or Titration stand to hold it all..  :phew:
Recharged Volt-Nut

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf