Author Topic: ̶F̶S̶ : Keithley 2002 8.5 digit like new  (Read 955 times)

Online flo.bTopic starter

• Contributor
̶F̶S̶ : Keithley 2002 8.5 digit like new
« on: July 11, 2024, 03:23:17 pm »
I got offered help for exporting this. Sale temporarily closed.

Hello,

I purchased a Keithley 2002 from ebay USA but I ran into trouble exporting it to Europe where I live. Items worth $2500 or more need some special export declaration with an EIN (Exporter Identification Number) which the seller did not want to be involved in.
The discussion with the seller and trying to find a solution lasted so long that the return window closed and the seller eventually refused to take it back. Unfortunate situation.
The item is currently stuck at MyUS.com freight forwarding company. I don't know the exact laws but apparently the last/main beneficiary of the sale needs to do the export declaration.

I see two options:
a) Someone helps me export this and receives a compensation. My idea is to ship this from MyUS to a well known EEVblog member, he then would send it privately to Europe as a used item, avoiding those declaration requirements (the EU customs will be my problem).
b) I sell this to an EEVblog member in the US. I don't need to turn a profit here so the price is $6500.

This is the original listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/186434251452

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 11:38:22 am by flo.b »

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: FS: Keithley 2002 8.5 digit like new
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024, 04:01:37 pm »
pm sent

normally you can escalate too on ebay if the seller is a dick, he's supposed to help you ....  BUT  some do hide behind the : ask for shipping quotes outside USA .....   i dont see it specified on ebay ??

Prooving to MyUs  its an ebay sale should help ?  nothing chemical, dangerous    etc ... ?  but if they have seen the price, it will or may be a problem ??

« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 04:11:34 pm by coromonadalix »

The following users thanked this post: flo.b

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 05:05:30 pm »

I don't need to turn a profit here so the price is $6500.

Is that the going rate for a used Keithley 2002?
Holy Cow!

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: voltsandjolts, Zucca

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2024, 05:16:12 pm »
Pity: On such a costly item we always use Fed Ex/DHL for overseas shipment, never a frt fwd service.

Beware the track record of MyUS.com
Check their T&S

For the US Gov Export number, beware that under declariing the shipment value eg < $2500 for a $6,500 item is illegal.

good luck,

j

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024, 05:32:29 pm »
I shipped a $2600 device from USA to Italy with FedEx and I did not have to provide any EIN.
Just paperwork for custom declaration, was not too painful.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 06:08:39 pm »
pm sent

normally you can escalate too on ebay if the seller is a dick, he's supposed to help you ....  BUT  some do hide behind the : ask for shipping quotes outside USA .....   i dont see it specified on ebay ??

Prooving to MyUs  its an ebay sale should help ?  nothing chemical, dangerous    etc ... ?  but if they have seen the price, it will or may be a problem ??
Thanks for your offer!
Yeah I have about the same thoughts about the seller (I hope you read this!).
MyUS doesn't give me much choice:

The EEI (Electronic Export Information) filing requires information about the USPPI (US Principal Party in Interest). The USPPI is defined as the entity who is receiving the primary financial benefit from a sale, who, in this case, is the seller *****.
Without ***** EIN or DUNS information, we will not be able to export your shipment. The EEI filing is a non-negotiable condition for export for this item due to its high value, as prescribed by the US Census Bureau.
You are welcome to sell the item to someone in the United States. We would then be able to ship the item domestically. If this is something you would like to do, you will need to provide us with a proof of sale for the item.

Of course I didn't know any of this. Possibly the threshold value is higher than $2500, that's just what the seller told me when he asked DHL:

I took the packaged meter to DHL this afternoon and because the declared value is over $2500 USD, I am unable to ship the meter to Austria as an individual. If I had a company with a Federal EIN number it may be possible

Holy Cow!
Looking at what they cost here in Europe (15-18k Euro), I was damn happy about this deal, even after import taxes. It seems to be in "like new" condition, couple of times used only, which is important to me.

Pity: On such a costly item we always use Fed Ex/DHL for overseas shipment, never a frt fwd service.

Beware the track record of MyUS.com
Check their T&S

For the US Gov Export number, beware that under declariing the shipment value eg < $2500 for a $6,500 item is illegal.

good luck,

j
Yeah I wanted the seller to ship it directly first but apparently DHL didn't let him do that as an individual without further paperwork.
So I thought MyUS is gonna handle it for me, but that was a mistake.

I shipped a $2600 device from USA to Italy with FedEx and I did not have to provide any EIN.
Just paperwork for custom declaration, was not too painful.
Maybe the threshold value is higher, this is just what the seller got told by DHL, possibly for different reasons.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024, 08:04:11 pm »
ebay, fedex, dhl, and the US authorities all in one thread - a definition of hopelessness if ever you wanted one. Pity that they're all linked to a Keithley  :palm:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 08:13:04 pm by armandine2 »
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Re: ̶F̶S̶ : Keithley 2002 8.5 digit like new
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2024, 09:24:03 pm »
You sound nice and all, but this has some Nigerian Prince vibes.  Just saying.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2024, 10:00:27 pm »
You sound nice and all, but this has some Nigerian Prince vibes.  Just saying.
I am always the one with the uncommon problems that need uncommon solutions..
I understand what you mean. My post count and the amount involved certainly don't help. However the nice member from here who is willing to help me will receive the meter from MyUS for free. He could disappear with it, then he will be the Nigerian Prince ;D

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2024, 05:04:23 am »
RE EEI, $2,500 threshold:

We have Been filing EEI  US Gov paperwork since decades. Takes ~ 1 hr. Requires registration and account.

In USA if send er cannot file the EEI, then Fed Ex/DHL, UPS WILL file the EEI for a fee.

See Official US Gov info here on EEI: https://www.trade.gov/electronic-export-information-eei

"The Electronic Export Information (EEI) is filed in the Automated Export System (AES) and is required when the value of the commodity classified under each individual Schedule B number is over $2,500, or if there exists a mandatory filing requirement, i.e., an export license is required.  See Foreign Trade Regulation 30.2(a)(1)(iv). The filer (the USPPI, or the U.S. authorized agent) is responsible for preparing the EEI and providing the proof of filing, EEI filing exclusion, or exemption citation to the carrier who ensures it is cited on the commercial loading document prior to loading the commodity(s) on the conveyance.

Filers may choose their EEI filing method to the AES, including ACE AESDirect or a direct connection. For more information on how to file EEI electronically ..

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/aes/ace-aesdirect.html
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/aes/index.html

Happy paperwork!

Jon

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2024, 06:58:15 am »
jonpaul, thanks for this information.
It seems the seller had zero motivation to ship this abroad. But good to know there is a way.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2024, 08:25:55 am »
Flo.b:

Beware that the Freight  fwder will assesss a storage fee after ~ 5 days and will consider the DVM as abandoned property and sell it off after ~ 30 days.

I would take immediate action to get the unit back from the frt fowarder.

otherwise you risk to be out the amount paid and loose the DVM.

Jon

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2024, 10:04:51 am »

Holy Cow!
Looking at what they cost here in Europe (15-18k Euro), I was damn happy about this deal, even after import taxes. It seems to be in "like new" condition, couple of times used only, which is important to me.

I just looked up the new price on this Keithley 2002 and can not believe it.
Not that long ago, a used one sold between Euro 2000 to 3000
And a new one as around Euro 6000

I am surprised that they can ask so much and obviously get paid that much.
We are living in strange times

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2024, 11:26:19 am »
valuation below $2500

some (most) countries will consider this to be tax fraud, very certainly this is the case for all european countries

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2024, 11:44:55 am »
Flo.b:

Beware that the Freight  fwder will assesss a storage fee after ~ 5 days and will consider the DVM as abandoned property and sell it off after ~ 30 days.

I would take immediate action to get the unit back from the frt fowarder.

otherwise you risk to be out the amount paid and loose the DVM.

Jon
I got worried now but luckily I received a mail from MyUS today that the item was shipped out to the forum member.
From what I know, the MyUS terms are: Storage fees from 30 days, forced shipping (etc.?) from 60 days.

I just looked up the new price on this Keithley 2002 and can not believe it.
Not that long ago, a used one sold between Euro 2000 to 3000
And a new one as around Euro 6000
Yeah it looks like inflation is very real.

some (most) countries will consider this to be tax fraud, very certainly this is the case for all european countries
You must be right. Unfortunately the multimeter got damaged in an accident and will be sent as defect.

Offline philipz

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2024, 04:06:21 pm »
Unfortunately the multimeter got damaged in an accident and will be sent as defect.
Are you kidding? Or this is true and someone broke your "treasure"? How bad is the device? Is it matter for you are the device is Keithley 2002 or you only need 8½ multimeter?

Online watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2024, 05:39:48 pm »
Wait a minute.  Did you look at his feedback as seller?  Only 6 or 7 other things over a year ago and all under $100USD.

And why did you leave positive feedback for an item you have not received??? :palm:
Regards,

Dewey

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2024, 05:59:02 pm »
Wait a minute.  Did you look at his feedback as seller?  Only 6 or 7 other things over a year ago and all under $100USD.

And why did you leave positive feedback for an item you have not received??? :palm:
I've seen the sellers profile, yes. Nothing concerning to me. You make a bargain by taking some risk ;)
I just checked my feedback history and damn, this bothers me. I must have accidentally left a good review. Yeah sounds stupid, but I was buying boatloads recently and just quickly went through the feedbacks. Must have confused this with some other meter.. |O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf