Author Topic: WTB: Dead(up to air/leaky) cryocoolers  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Spirit532Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
WTB: Dead(up to air/leaky) cryocoolers
« on: August 20, 2022, 06:51:35 pm »
If you have any old thermal cameras or similar equipment that has miniature(or bigature, I don't care) cryocoolers that no longer cool, but are in otherwise ok mechanical shape(motor still spins/oscillates, nothing is seriously destroyed), let me know.

I want to try my hand at refilling and potentially restoring them, and I have all the necessary equipment and expertise to do so.
I also just want cryocoolers to tinker with, and this is a much cheaper way than buying working or new ones.

To clarify: I don't want complete thermal cameras, shipping them is a logistical nightmare. Just the coolers, with scrapped(vented, rendered permanently inoperable) sensors if not possible to separate.

PM on the forum, or email eevblog-wtb [the symbol] spirit [the other symbol] re.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 03:35:58 am by Spirit532 »

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: WTB: Dead(up to air/leaky) cryocoolers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 01:33:42 am »
     A word to the wise,

I think those are Export Controlled in the US.  I don't know about other countries.  The .MIL ones that I dealt with WORE OUT and rather rapidly and there was no repairing them! The sensor material was also Classified and most likely Export Controlled as well.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 01:37:04 am »
As far as I'm aware, they are not. The only parts that fall under US export controls are the sensors themselves(obviously, but not asking for any here, can vent the dewar to kill them), as well as self-regulating devices(JT coolers, doesn't apply here), and space-qualified units, as per ITAR Part 121, and I really doubt anyone's going to have spare space qualified cryos laying around.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 07:42:39 am »
Basically seller fills out any customs paperwork honestly, customs will do the rest.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 11:58:48 am »
Nothing special to fill out here, just a direct "broken cryocooler" should pass through with no issues, unlike thermal cameras.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 01:24:37 pm »
and I really doubt anyone's going to have spare space qualified cryos laying around.

And you would be 100% wrong about that.  I have several and Ive seen several hundred others available surplus in the US and I doubt that many of the people that bought those as surplus are aware of their classification or are aware that the sensor material is classified over and beyond the cyrocooler itself.

To be blunt, for anyone considering sending one of these to a foreign country, make dammed sure of what you have and what sensor material is in and that neither is export controlled before sending it out of your country or you could end up in a world of trouble.  It's probably not a problem with some commercial brands but if you have a military surplus item, it's almost certainly export controlled. 

And don't try to side step the issue by saying "space qualified".  Any military grade cyro cooler and/or sensor is likely to be classified and export restricted no matter whether it's used in aircraft, missile or ground or ANY other environment.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 01:38:04 pm »
I have several and Ive seen several hundred others available surplus in the US and I doubt that many of the people that bought those as surplus are aware of their classification or are aware that the sensor material is classified over and beyond the cyrocooler itself.
Cite your sources. There's nothing "classified" about thermal image sensors, all of the technologies are either published in papers, patented, or both.

make dammed sure of what you have and what sensor material is in
Makes absolutely no sense. Material? Vanadium oxide, mercury cadmium telluride, or the composition of strained layer superlattices is somehow classified? :-DD

And don't try to side step the issue by saying "space qualified".  Any military grade cyro cooler and/or sensor is likely to be classified and export restricted no matter whether it's used in aircraft, missile or ground or ANY other environment.
Blatantly false. Most of the ones available on the market today aren't even made in the US or Europe. "Military grade" is only a synonym for "lowest bidder". Unless it's an actual munition(hence why J-T coolers are specified explicitly in part 121, and are of no use to me), there's absolutely nothing that differentiates a Ricor K543 inside a FLIR SC-series camera from one inside a Lockheed Raytheon Grumman HellMissile Long Range People Deleter. I can go buy a K543 right now and the only thing that I'll have to sign is the invoice for my kidney removal.

To be blunt, stop this fearmongering bullshit. I'm not interested in military surplus, and I specifically said that I don't want complete units, just the coolers, which are common off the shelf items.
Where that comes from doesn't matter, whether it be a vintage Inframetrics PM290 or a missile, it's the same device. Not to mention, in non-functional condition.

Oh, and nothing ships here from the US anyway, so don't get your panties in a twist.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 01:41:45 pm by Spirit532 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf