Author Topic: FS (AU): Tektronix TDS210 Digital Oscilloscope 60MHz 2 channels, 1GS/s  (Read 780 times)

Offline hunterj5Topic starter

Hi all,
Newbie here! My dad was an electrical engineer for 42 years and loved tinkering away in his shed with all manner of electronics. Looking to now sell his Tektronic digital oscilloscope which is in excellent working condition. User and programmer manuals included.

* 1Gs/s dual channel 60MHZ bandwidth
* monochrome LCD display
* compact and portable 'scope
* perfect for hobby workbench and projects

Located in Melbourne, Australia. My research suggests it's worth $AUD250-$300 + postage. I'd welcome any tips on any other forums/locations to sell it if you don't think this is the best way.

Thanks in advance! More product info below for reference:

Product Information
The Tektronix TDS210 digital oscilloscope provides automated real-time measurement across two channels. The two channel measurements allow you to view multiple data streams simultaneously. This Tektronix oscilloscope also provides you with a dual time base for making comparisons over a specific time period. These scopes operate at a bandwidth of 60 MHz and a sample rate of 1 GS per second. At this 60 MHz frequency, it allows you to capture essential data from your industrial and scientific machinery. It captures rise and fall times, pulse width, and voltage of waves. Housed in a compact and lightweight benchtop case, the TDS210 is well suited for taking ground-referenced measurements. Each channel has a record length of 2,500 points. This allows you to get a clear and accurate view of the waveform distribution. The TDS also has a trigger function setup that includes edge, video, and external views. Switching between views on the TDS210 is as simple as pushing a button on the unit's front face. This piece of digital scope equipment has a vertical range of 2 mV to 5 V per division. This information provides you with critical information about changes in the electrical consumption or capacity of any device that it is monitoring. This Tektronix oscilloscope allows you to stop the waveform function during a collection period. Once the collection is stopped, you can save it for reference. The unit also allows for vertical and horizontal expansion and contraction of any collected wave. This Tektronix oscilloscope also performs mathematics on waveforms. You can choose to sample, average, or calculate the peak of any wave. It automatically collects essential data, including the period, frequency, cycle RMS, mean, and peak-to-peak distance of any wave. This information allows you to make time-sensitive adjustments to the devices the oscilloscopes are monitoring. The Tektronix digital oscilloscope also has zooming functionality and a dual time-based horizontal range of 5 nanoseconds to 5 seconds per division. Zooming in on the digital points allows you to track minute variations in your measurements. The information gleaned from this device can be saved in its internal memory storage. You can also create a printout of your data with the Centronics printer port. It even supports external connections with the included GPIB and RS-232 interface with Centronics port. Display modes are Dot and feature individual points with variable persistence. You can also set the TDS scope to the Vector display mode. In this type of signal operation, the points are arranged in a continuous wave. Its high 8-bit resolution of 256 levels over 10 vertical divisions allows you to observe wave characteristics in detail. This piece of equipment measures about 12 inches long by 6 inches tall by 4.5 inches deep and weighs about 2 pounds. It has a backlit display that measures about 4.5 inches wide by 3.5 inches tall. With an interface in English, German, Spanish, French, Chinese, and other languages, you can use it in nearly any location.

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
This scope must be about 24 years old. A much more capable modern scope with 50 Mpts/ch, a very high update rate, protocol decoding, math channels,... is about $350 today.

https://siglentna.com/digital-oscilloscopes/sds800x-hd-digital-storage-oscilloscope/

The following users thanked this post: hunterj5

Offline iJoseph2

• Regular Contributor
It's possible that one also has the MM (Math Module) - not sure .. it could be the Comms Module .. so possibly worth more.

Boot it up and show the self test screen.

Thanks @temperance! Very handy to know.

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
It's possible that one also has the MM (Math Module) - not sure .. it could be the Comms Module .. so possibly worth more.

Boot it up and show the self test screen.
Most likely it has the com module(TDS2CM), since it has the manual, too(3rd image).

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
This scope must be about 24 years old. A much more capable modern scope with 50 Mpts/ch, a very high update rate, protocol decoding, math channels,... is about $350 today.

Surprisingly these still have a niche fan base.

Thanks @ijoseph. I've booted it up and this is the first screen. Does this help? I don't have any probes so I don't think I can do the full self test.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 07:35:54 am by hunterj5 »

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
Surprisingly these still have a niche fan base.

Soon featured on the disc channel: individuals of a robust appearance with long beards operating trucks with a 500 hp engine with the size of an elephant-because turbo's where not yet invented-and with the soot emissions of a tank driving across the country to collect a good ol vintage tek TDS scope.

After some recapping, the addition of some exclusive nickel plated buttons and the installation of a hand wound fly back transformer with three layers insulation tape applied made by no less than Faringdon himself it can be used for an other 200 years. Said machine was the first ever with a 10 digit serial number. As such, the scope was sold for seven times the new price in an outdoor auction where some TEK gurus gathered to have some muscle talks about tek scopes.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 01:41:38 am by temperance »

The following users thanked this post: JimboJack, hunterj5

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
If you calculate that $250 AUD is about $170 USD, it's in the ballpark.

There aren't many secondhand scopes for sale on the Australian market. Dave brought and resold a few old Teks a while back and got a reasonable price for them. People pay for the name and possibly to replace or get a second one as a spare. Consider also if you already owned a lessor or older scope it's fairly easy to resell here so the upgrade cost is negligible compared to our wages/cost of living.

Like anything, you have to do your own due diligence.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
There aren't many secondhand scopes for sale on the Australian market. Dave brought and resold a few old Teks a while back and got a reasonable price for them.

Can't remember how much I sold them for, but IIRC I came home with $5k cash in my pocket from the Wyong field day boot sale. Was quite some time ago though.

EDIT: found it:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf