Author Topic: Favour needed from somebody with a US shipping address...  (Read 7878 times)

Offline TopLoserTopic starter

• Supporter
Favour needed from somebody with a US shipping address...
« on: June 22, 2015, 02:26:58 pm »
Is there a kind person out there in the US who would take delivery of a small package for me. It's a barcode scanner I just bought on eBay but the seller is insisting on using that sodding Global Shipping Program...

I'll more than cover the forwarding shipping costs, plus maybe a special deal on something from 'the pile'...

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
Re: Favour needed from somebody with a US shipping address...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 02:34:31 pm »
Hi Ian,

if you don't need it urgently you can use my address.

email sent for more info :)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 02:38:35 pm »
I'm in the US, happy to help.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 03:01:24 pm »
Thanks for all the offers of help, all sorted now :)

$400 to ship a 1Kg small package using GSP, Pitney Bowes criminal scam at work again.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:10:49 pm »
I know that feeling..... Had some stuff sent from China via the USA, just to avoid that problem, plus the annoying sellers who only offer USA shipping as an option ( free of course) and who exclude the rest of the planet ( including HK for some reason as well) by either having a ridiculous shipping cost or no offering at all.

Offline Ca_s12

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 07:58:26 pm »
If you need another address you can use here, no worries. Just let me know!  :)

Offline Zman

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 02:05:38 pm »
there are several companies in US who provide this service, i.e.
www.reship.com
www.bongous.com
www.shipito.com

(no, I do not work for any of these :) )

Information wants to be FREE!

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 02:09:20 pm »
Just an extra vote for Bongo. I've used them loads, and for those stubborn sellers who insist on a US address and a US registered card, their "personal shopper" service is great if you are happy to take the commission hit.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 04:08:05 pm »
Just saw this, if you ever need help in the future Ian, hit me up!
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 04:24:21 pm »
Still fighting with the stupid eBay seller, he doesn't understand that GSP is adding $400 on to my invoice without him knowing about it. He doesn't see it on the invoice he creates or when he views it online. He can change it to free shipping but GSP still wants to steal $380 taxes and duties as my eBay account is registered in the UK.

What a fcking joke. I'm going to have to try the 'personal shopper' service and get them to buy the bloody thing for me using a US eBay account.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 04:43:59 pm »
I ran in to these problems before and there is not much you can do with your UL eBay account.
For this purpose I kept my US based eBay account open but eBay got smarter and closed it for me.

I think the only way to solve this, is to cancel the order and have someone in the US order it for you.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 04:53:42 pm »
Still fighting with the stupid eBay seller, he doesn't understand that GSP is adding $400 on to my invoice without him knowing about it. He doesn't see it on the invoice he creates or when he views it online. He can change it to free shipping but GSP still wants to steal $380 taxes and duties as my eBay account is registered in the UK.

What a fcking joke. I'm going to have to try the 'personal shopper' service and get them to buy the bloody thing for me using a US eBay account.

using the .com ebay site?, for me, I get the numbers on the productpage, so I would take a screendump of the prices for shipping and tax estimates. When I search on ebay, all the GSP crap stand out with an estimate for the taxes right there.

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 05:09:43 pm »
I know how and why and where, I know how it all works.

Usually I just get a US seller to let me pay them directly rather than going through eBay - they are happy (no final value fees) and most are prepared to use USPS to ship directly to me once they figure out it's not that difficult these days. A few can't be arsed to ship outside the US and I usually find somebody to help me there.

But this seller is different, he will only accept payment through eBay and hence the GSP problem won't go away.

Even more annoying because it took a week to get him to accept a $600 offer on a $1200 asking price!

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 05:14:11 pm »
I am not sure how OP is hoping to save on taxes and duties. Re-shippers would declare the purchase price in their shipping documents anyway. You can only save on high shipping rates that GSP has.
Unless you reship via an individual who agrees to declare as a gift.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 05:42:10 pm »
I am not sure how OP is hoping to save on taxes and duties. Re-shippers would declare the purchase price in their shipping documents anyway. You can only save on high shipping rates that GSP has.
Unless you reship via an individual who agrees to declare as a gift.

The GSP shipping rates are reasonable, in fact they are cheap.

But the duties and taxes that Pitney Bowes aren't really taxes and duties. As a VAT registered business in the UK I should be able to reclaim the taxes once the item enters the UK, but Pitney Bowes don't issue the invoices to allow me to do that. What they do with the taxes they collect is open to question - many questions...

I'm not trying to avoid legitimate taxes here, because I could normally reclaim them all. But GSP makes me pay them in a way that makes it impossible for me to reclaim them.

Pitney Bowes are thieves.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 05:55:43 pm »
I'm not trying to avoid legitimate taxes here, because I could normally reclaim them all. But GSP makes me pay them in a way that makes it impossible for me to reclaim them.

Yes, same here.
Before GSP, a Seller would ship it to Germany and I would be charged by the German Customs with VAT and Duty and could claim it through my business.  GSP has changed it completely and I am loosing the VAT and the Duty completely.

But there is also a good side to GSP:
I now can order stuff from the US, that before would be stopped at the German Customs service. Now, nobody cares and it is shipped to Germany without any questions and in Germany it is delivered through a local delivery service, no questions asked. They did not think this all the way through.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 06:04:22 pm »
Yes it's like a big Pitney Bowes 'Diplomatic Bag' that slips through customs unquestioned!!

I sent the seller a screenshot of my invoice - his response 5 minutes ago, finally he undestands....

"Really?? I didn't even realize I had the international shipping thing selected as an option. That's ridiculous!!! I'm on the road now, but when I get to the hotel later tonight I will send a request for funds via PayPal."

Looks like eBay enrolled him in the GSP without him even knowing about it, he never knew it existed or that he was now offering international shipment by default.

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 06:58:48 pm »
Looks like eBay enrolled him in the GSP without him even knowing about it, he never knew it existed or that he was now offering international shipment by default.

When eBay rolled GSP out they activated it for all sellers and they have to explicitly opt-out...

Offline 0b01010011

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 04:15:40 am »
What Pitney Bowes really excelled in was complex mechanics and paper handling machines - especially their 60s and 70s stuff.  Their mechanical RMRS system on the 5300 machine was the peak I think.

Then the marketing dudes moved in in the 90s and started selling 'services' rather than things.

Worked OK for mailroom stuff.

Then the MBAs came in and pissed all over it all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf