Author Topic: New Fluke 189 on CL in LA  (Read 2599 times)

Offline bdunham7Topic starter

• Super Contributor
New Fluke 189 on CL in LA
« on: February 14, 2022, 04:42:54 am »
I saw this on CL, but I have nothing to do with the seller or the meter.  Given current market conditions and the scarcity of a non-smashed 189, let alone a brand new condition one, the price is not unreasonable IMO.  Obviously CL is local only, but I assume there's at least a few EEVBloggers in the greater LA area.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/app/d/los-angeles-fluke-189-multimeter-fluky/7444792639.html

A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: New Fluke 189 on CL in LA
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 12:13:56 pm »
If its this clean,  it could sell at this price  ....  Sadly they became overpriced, even saw a few going up to the 700$ range   :palm:  |O

Lots of ''good used stuff''  prices have gone bonkers

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 01:40:55 pm »
It's $450 of unreasonable. Most of the ones on ebay last sold for $100-200. It might be worth something more in time but the moment Fluke brings out a new product or resumes making them (they are doing the Fluke 789 still) it's could be around that price new with warranty.

The 789 is a process calibrator, you can't really compare it with a multimeter, they're completely different products.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 02:08:21 pm »
If it were mine in this condition, I would try to jack the price as well. A recent auction (eBay auction: #334331065499) got almost $300 for a heavily discolored one (although the fascia seems to be in excellent shape)

The 189 was very impressive when released but the competition caught up, thus the Fluke name alone is what is commanding the higher price. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 03:22:06 pm »
It's $450 of unreasonable. Most of the ones on ebay last sold for $100-200. It might be worth something more in time but the moment Fluke brings out a new product or resumes making them (they are doing the Fluke 789 still) it's could be around that price new with warranty.

The 789 is a process calibrator, you can't really compare it with a multimeter, they're completely different products.

I think  you misread the model number, it is a 189 not the 789 ??

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 05:55:52 pm »
The 189 was very impressive when released but the competition caught up, thus the Fluke name alone is what is commanding the higher price.

That's quite debatable.  I'm sure that there are quite a few users that might consider the F189 to be the very best handheld DMM ever made, bar none.  That's not a totally unsupportable fanboy position either--I can't think of anything that is clearly superior all-around.  And this would be a rare opportunity to snag a brand new one. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 07:31:00 pm »

That's quite debatable.  I'm sure that there are quite a few users that might consider the F189 to be the very best handheld DMM ever made, bar none.  That's not a totally unsupportable fanboy position either--I can't think of anything that is clearly superior all-around.  And this would be a rare opportunity to snag a brand new one.
Debatable that the competition caught up or the Fluke name is commanding the high prices? The first is factually correct - many competitors meet and supersede the features and specifications. The second is indeed an observation that could be indeed inaccurate.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 07:58:27 pm »
Debatable that the competition caught up or the Fluke name is commanding the high prices? The first is factually correct - many competitors meet and supersede the features and specifications. The second is indeed an observation that could be indeed inaccurate.

I don't doubt that Fluke or Tek branded products will command higher prices on the used market than 'equivalent' products, but that doesn't mean the reason is just brand snobbery or fanboyism or whatever.  It also has to do with the unofficial support mechanisms that are available with a popular products, like repair advice, manuals/schematics and used parts on eBay. 

However, as I said, it is the first part that I would say at least some people disagree with.  Features and display counts aren't the same thing as getting the job done reliably.  Specifications don't necessarily equate to actual performance, especially long term.  Someone who has used an F189 for 20 years and just had it stolen or dropped it in a rock crusher might just jump at the chance to get a new one, even at that price.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 09:19:54 pm »

I think  you misread the model number, it is a 189 not the 789 ??

No. You are missing the context entirely. I was replying to a post which implied similarity with the 789.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 03:39:49 am »
Some fluke 187 near the 700$ selling price right now on fleabay,  imagine a ultra clean 189  loll

666$ usd
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154221225030?

649$
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165272471436?

At my job  we had the chance before the Covid thing,  to grab 2x brand new model 289 for an 330$ usd each,  but missed the chance to get others,  they where sold pretty fast, the seller had 10 of them ???

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 03:44:22 am »

Thanks for the heads up Bdunham. I found this interesting:

"Fluke True-Rms Multimeter
Might need replacement new batteries
It's working, New in box all paper work is in box, as shown, as photographed."

Wondering if the battery's are inside of the meter? I didn't see a picture of either the battery's outside of the meter or a picture of them inside. Could look real interesting in they're in there. Fluke recommends not shipping a meter with battery's inside, but inside of the battery compartment is not shown nor is the meter shown working although seller says that it is.  Did Fluke ship them with Duraleaks?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 03:46:48 am by bc888 »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 04:31:57 am »
I don't doubt that Fluke or Tek branded products will command higher prices on the used market than 'equivalent' products, but that doesn't mean the reason is just brand snobbery or fanboyism or whatever. 
Well, I haven't said these two reasons... There is a certain Dave Jones that listed about ten others, to which I agree with several.

However, as I said, it is the first part that I would say at least some people disagree with.  Features and display counts aren't the same thing as getting the job done reliably.  Specifications don't necessarily equate to actual performance, especially long term.
I fully agree that features alone are not the same thing as a reliable and good multimeter - a Holdpeak HP-700D or a Uni-T UT71E are definitely not on par. However, the prior abyss that existed when the 189 was released is not there anymore, especially in the light of similarly featured and high quality brands such as Keysight, Hioki, Sanwa and Brymen (the ones I know). And that is what I meant in my post: the competition caught up and the price of a *used* 189 can be equivalent to a *new* high end multimeter (and some models have been on the market for 10+ years already).

Someone who has used an F189 for 20 years and just had it stolen or dropped it in a rock crusher might just jump at the chance to get a new one, even at that price.
To be fair, this can be said about a Simpson, an Avo...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2022, 05:07:50 am »
...the prior abyss that existed when the 189 was released is not there anymore, especially in the light of similarly featured and high quality brands such as Keysight, Hioki, Sanwa and Brymen (the ones I know). And that is what I meant in my post: the competition caught up and the price of a *used* 189 can be equivalent to a *new* high end multimeter (and some models have been on the market for 10+ years already).

OK, I see what you mean--there are now comparable meters that are more or less in the same class.  So the argument that one or another is better hinges on comparatively minor issues.  Perhaps that's true, but I really can't think of anything that I would regard as clearly superior to it, factoring in everything that I consider important.  I do think the prices of used 189s is astonishing considering the very poor condition most of them seem to be in, but an NOS one seemed like a  pretty rare deal. 

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2022, 10:58:35 am »
Some fluke 187 near the 700$ selling price right now on fleabay,  imagine a ultra clean 189  loll

666$ usd
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154221225030?

649$
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165272471436?

At my job  we had the chance before the Covid thing,  to grab 2x brand new model 289 for an 330$ usd each,  but missed the chance to get others,  they where sold pretty fast, the seller had 10 of them ???

That was a helluva score, I paid £300 for my used 289!

Here you go: 
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2022, 12:07:37 pm »
I paid 250$ usd each  for my 2x fluke 189,  paid 100$  for an ''189 parts casing''   and for 60$ usd each  got 3 extended battery cases,  had the original fluke battery cover screws for 2.50$ each ....

And got the original battery clip  kits from Fluke around 8$  (for the 2 long clips and the 3 smaller ones)  now you can buy the chineesium clones on Ebay

That was 2-3 years ago,  now  i just check the price once in a while,  totally crazy, and thoses who are not are selling pretty fast
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 12:11:13 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2022, 12:15:29 pm »
...the prior abyss that existed when the 189 was released is not there anymore, especially in the light of similarly featured and high quality brands such as Keysight, Hioki, Sanwa and Brymen (the ones I know). And that is what I meant in my post: the competition caught up and the price of a *used* 189 can be equivalent to a *new* high end multimeter (and some models have been on the market for 10+ years already).

OK, I see what you mean--there are now comparable meters that are more or less in the same class.  So the argument that one or another is better hinges on comparatively minor issues.  Perhaps that's true, but I really can't think of anything that I would regard as clearly superior to it, factoring in everything that I consider important.  I do think the prices of used 189s is astonishing considering the very poor condition most of them seem to be in, but an NOS one seemed like a  pretty rare deal.
Perhaps I should have been clearer on my arguments. Regardless, it is as you say with Flukes in general: even the terribly banged up ones that show up on these auction sites are usually still quite accurate and functional, thus raising the price for a unusual NOS unit to quite high levels due to scarcity.

All in all, I understand how they would reach these prices (especially for a NOS or in good condition) but they can reach "collector's levels" and one can be carried away by this game, especially in places other than "T&M heaven" (US).

Offline adauphin

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2022, 03:54:39 am »
I have a late model 89 IV, owned since new for about 20 years, the logging feature is very useful. I had no idea of these used prices... :o..I don't think I will ever part with it.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2022, 03:29:24 pm »
I bought my 189 back in 2004 when Fluke gave me $100 credit for my broken 87. They said they could no longer repair the 87 so they would give me a $100 credit if I buy a new meter. So I got my 189. I didn't use it a whole lot over the years. In my job I most often use the 87V issued by my employer. Recently I started using the 189 and I do like it a lot more than the 87V or the 287/289. It's in between the 2 and gives me a nice balance of features.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf