Author Topic: WTB: Fluke 8842/8840 TRUE RMS OPTION 09  (Read 2519 times)

Offline benjamin.lundgreenTopic starter

WTB: Fluke 8842/8840 TRUE RMS OPTION 09
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:59:44 pm »
Hello! (First post after lurking for some time :) )

After reading a lot about the old fluke 8842a i decided to purchase one (my first real bench dmm).
Found a 8842a for a reasonable price on ebay, with the true rms board from what seemed to be a reliable seller.

Upon arrival, i noticed that the option was missing..
I have been searching quite a lot for this board so i could retrofit it, but i'm having trouble finding it, i guess they are pretty scarce these days..
Does anyone have a spare or maybe one that you don't use anymore? If you know somewhere it may be purchased that would also be of interest.

Thanks!
 /Benjamin

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
Re: WTB: Fluke 8842/8840 TRUE RMS OPTION 09
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:18:36 pm »
Do you know that after installing the option the AC ranges must be calibrated?
Do you have the equipment for this?

Offline benjamin.lundgreenTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 06:23:10 pm »
Now that you mentioned it i have read it but forgotten. Thanks for the heads up!
If i were to buy this board and install it, would it work at all before i calibrate?
Calibration by proffessionals seems to be around SEK 700-1000 SEK ~  USD 110-150, so that might be an option.

I think i will post on a swedish electronics forum first and see if anyone knows where to calibrate,
or if someone maybe has a calibrator, who knows? :)

I realize i might have been better of purchasing some other dmm, but i liked the look of the VFD and the unit itself isn't too big and/or ugly, as some of the other older dmm's are.

I got a PM from someone who had the 8840 AC board, and it should only be a "pin-swap" to get it working.
Then of course also the calibration.. Might as well buy the board and calibrate it when i feel that i need the higher precision of the bench dmm.

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:13:15 am »
Now that you mentioned it i have read it but forgotten. Thanks for the heads up!
If i were to buy this board and install it, would it work at all before i calibrate?
Sorry, I don't know.

I think i will post on a swedish electronics forum first and see if anyone knows where to calibrate,
or if someone maybe has a calibrator, who knows? :)
Ask on the volt-nuts mailing list (https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/volt-nuts). Maybe there are some Swedish volts nuts out there. Good luck!

PS: I have an AC volt calibrator. An old Russian B1-9. But it don't do 1000V, no AC current and I don't know how accurate it is. Shipping your meter to Germany and back would also expensive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf