Author Topic: FS[NL/Ams] Cyberflux group buy? (Russian fluxes, non-corrosive, non-conductive)  (Read 3360 times)

Online exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
UPDATE 2018-08-16: orders are closed

Hi!

I'm going to buy a few fluxes from mother Russia just for fun :). If someone wants to try, please let me know. Fluxes are quite cheap, but presumably very good (you can find numerous reviews on Youtube, unfortunately, all in Russian). I'm attaching "datasheets". They are also, unfortunately, in Russian, but they have numbers (acidity, conductivity, solder wetting, usage recommendations, comparison with other famous fluxes, etc).

So, these are the fluxes I keep in mind (all from Cyberflux, http://cyberflux.org/):
FRA-260-PRO (3euro/10g) -- very good, active, can be left uncleaned, but recommended to be cleaned.
E-700 PRO (3euro/10g) -- high resistance, medium-active (according to my definition), high resistance, no-clean (except for precise and sensitive devices). recommended for BGA
FN-255 PRO (3euro/10g) -- very high resistance, very mild, almost liquid, "truly no-clean". Recommended for soldering new parts. Recommended for BGA
ASK155-VC (1euro) -- water soluble, highly active, highly corrosive, "solders everything", must be cleaned.

You can order them from me, or from ebay, but this can be a little bit more expensive, but no need to wait :). Delivery time: mid September. I'd prefer to just give it in person in Amsterdam. Not sure it's possible send such things via post. Payment: paypal, IBAN transfer (but why would you trust me? :)), or cash on delivery.

So, if someone interested, please write here. Quantity is quite limited, I think I'll buy just 5-10 pieces total.

PS Never managed group purchases, so I can screw it all.
PPS It's more like an experiment, no commercial interest (yet :)). No guarantee of further supply, etc. At your own risk.
PPPS I'm not sure what will be the packaging. It can be a tube, a syringe, or something. There are complains about tube packaging.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:23:52 pm by exe »

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
Many thanks for ths nice offer. I would like to try one of each.

Online exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Many thanks for ths nice offer. I would like to try one of each.

Okay, I didn't want to mess up with shipping, but since you asked... I think we'll sort this out, shipping is anywhere between 4 and 12 euros (later for signed delivery). So, one of each, fine :)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
Here is another chance to screw up  :-DD, I'll also take one of each (shipping to Germany).

Cheers,
 DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
I'll wait to see if it works well for you heros!

Please keep us posted.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
DC1MC, you are in :)

BTW, in this case "no clean" means fluxes have specified resistance (and acidity? not sure about that) at 20C and without previous heating. So, unlike amtech and many-many other well-known fluxes, it is suitable for hand-soldering.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Just curious, are they the "stiky" flux that need to be keept in the fridge?

Online exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
To the best of my knowledge, there is NO tacky flux from the manufacturer, although they say they are developing one. A comment on youtube says their flux engineer recently joined their competitors, not sure how this may affect future products. I'm under impression it's a very small company with direct sales.

PS for those who don't want to wait the flux is also available on ebay.com (twice more expensive, but impassioned people like me may give it a shot).

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
No idea why I'm doing this, but I'll take one of each as well, please :)

Er, shipping is UK.

Online exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
No idea why I'm doing this

Yeah, me nether, I have enough flux for the next 20 years...

Alright, you are in! (you can change your mind up until it is shipped, just let me know).

Ah, one more thing, fluxes have storage life of 1 year, then it can become viscous or something. People report mildly heating will bring it back to the original state (so says the manufacturer about E-700 PRO), but I wouldn't count on it. There is no expiration data on the package because... because they don't know how to put it on the sticker in a reliable way  :-//

I think I'll wait for one more person and close orders. Anyone from Amsterdam? :(

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
Sadly not from Amsterdam, but I would be interested in trying that stuff out. The next time that I would drive through NL would be in ~ 8 months, but I guess shipping would be the easier way. Would also be interested in all four varieties.
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Online exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Sadly not from Amsterdam, but I would be interested in trying that stuff out. The next time that I would drive through NL would be in ~ 8 months, but I guess shipping would be the easier way. Would also be interested in all four varieties.

Hi! Unfortunately, I already put the order. So, not sure if there is enough flux.  If I have extra syringes (they may include some as a gift) I'll contact you.

Online exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Good news everyone!

I got fluxes in needed quantity (including Ysjoelfir). Please let know your email addresses via a personal message. Or, if you prefer, you can drop me a personal message here.

Price: 10 euro for 4 different fluxes + envelope (don't know the price yet, checking) + shipping (4.2 or 12 euro, see below)

Shipping costs: you can check on post.nl (English language available). It estimates ~4.2euro for regular mail, or ~12euro for tracked mail. Choose the one you want and let me know.

Shipping date: after I collect all the information from all of you + 4 business days just in case.

Payment: via IBAN after you receive it. Or paypal, but I never used it to receive payments and don't know how get money out. I'd prefer not mess up with paypal.

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
Good news everyone!

I got fluxes in needed quantity (including Ysjoelfir).

Cool :) Thanks, you should have my mail in a few minutes.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Or paypal, but I never used it to receive payments and don't know how get money out. I'd prefer not mess up with paypal.

Surprisingly easy to do.  My PayPal account is tied to my checking account, though I can shift payment to a saved credit card.  Receive the payment as friends and family to avoid fees and for me, a simple button click moved the money over.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
PM sent, thanks for the logistic work  :clap:

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Online exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Wow, you guys are fast :). I got all the information I need, will try to ship tomorrow, but more likely Tuesday as Monday is always super busy.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali

Online exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
All flux was sent, hope post.nl won't let us down.

Online exeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Rumors say some people already received their packages. Please share your feedback! I think it's fare to compare against top-notch fluxes :). (Of course each flux is to be comparing against other fluxes in the same category)

Things I'd look for (but I can't, my lab still packed in boxes):

1) conductivity and acidity (both for activated and non-activated flux)
2) amount of fumes (and smell :))
3) does it boil (important for BGA)?
4) how well it supports wetting
5) is it suitable for lead-free soldering?
6) can it help with old and rusty parts?
7) Does it work at high temperature(say, 350+C)?
8) Is residue hard to clean?
9) Is it tacky :)

PS FN-255 PRO supposed to be green, but manufacturer said they had one batch of another color. I think we got that batch. So, it's not fake.

PPS Did I mention fluxes have expiration (1 year)? Manufacturer says it's fine to use expired flux (so far they have only data about 2 year old fluxes). It can change in viscosity after 1 year, if so they suggest to warm it up to 150 (sounds a bit high to me) to get it back to normal.

Full FAQ: https://vk.com/topic-158832396_36606390 (in Russian, sorry)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
Sadly, my baggie didn't arrive yet  :(, most likely the German customs still tastes it, wondering what is this stuff coming from the  Netherlands  :-DD.

If it may help someone, here's a googlish translation of the page with descriptions:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcyberflux.org%2Fflux.html&edit-text=&act=url 

EDIT: There is just one important mistranslation in the link above, some solders have at the end of the description a stern warning:
Во время пайки используйте вентиляцию!  -> During soldering, use ventilation!
So if the Russians are saying this, better do it !!!

DOUBLE EDIT: It arrived right now  ^-^, a miserable flu is (again) holding me down, but my 4 little tubes are here, intact even  8), on WE I'll torture it with some Metcal heat  >:D.

@exe  :-+ :clap:

Cheers,
 DC1MC
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:10:07 pm by DC1MC »

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
Mine did also arrive today. Just did a little "Look, feel, sniff and taste" test since the lab isn't completely cleaned up yet (- see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/im-going-nuts-in-my-lab-need-to-get-rid-of-stuff-advice/msg1755122/#msg1755122 ) but I have ordered some PCBs from Ringler 5 days ago so they should arrive soon, hopefully right after the lab is clean again :)

So far for the quick analysis:
SPK-150-VC: bright pink, very translucent, very liquidy and oily, not sticky texture, smelly very much of nothing, slight sweet taste.
FN-255 PRO: dark orange, mildly translucent, sticky, gooey paste, smells like a pine tree in a pile of old tires, tastes like vaseline.
E-700 PRO: brown-ish, opaque, very paste like, smells like old rubber, tastes of nothing.
FRA-260 PRO: light orange, very opaque, oily and goey paste, not very sticky, smells strongly like spruce, tastes a bit acidic, skin itches slightly, tongue doesn't.

I wonder what the non-pro versions are like :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:52:44 pm by Ysjoelfir »

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
Im a flux noob. Have some, but i don’t cook with it [emoji23]

For my curiosity: you guys really taste it? 🧐

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
Received mine today also, but no time yet to test. Many thanks!

As I only have one other flux of unknown brand to compare with, the best I will be able to say if I notice a difference between them (which was the reason I wanted them, to compare if I notice the difference for the work I do (hand soldering small parts, but not extremely small...) BGA is way above my skill level currently.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf