Author Topic: WTB FLASH Programmer.  (Read 1675 times)

Offline CJayTopic starter

• Super Contributor
WTB FLASH Programmer.
« on: September 11, 2018, 06:22:13 pm »
Kinda, I've got an ancient EPROM programmer that runs on an ISA card and some rather dodgy DOS software, given that the ISA slot is all but dead I think it's probably time to move on.

So, given that it'll get used once in a blue moon and that I'm perpetually broke, what do I buy?

I'm going to want to be able to read/program ancient UV EPROMs, SPI and I2C devices, read/write of GALs would be useful too and of course it would probably need to be USB capable.

Recommendations?

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: WTB FLASH Programmer.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 08:43:16 pm »
average cost :     TNM 5000 ?   can do spi and i2c devices

cheap :  TL866    i think is very limited

average cost  : TOP xxxx series of programmers, Genius series ...

costly :   Elnec  Xeltec ...  like Dataman 48 pro, Beeprog +, Beeprog 2C ... they can do spi and i2c devices

McuMall GQ4X     was very practical,  i think their newest GQ5X series (2 different models) can do much more, i think the universal GQ5X model has been announced 1 year ago  ???

To be sure  search their database of supported ic's to find if it can do yours ...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 06:02:13 am »
average cost :     TNM 5000 ?   can do spi and i2c devices

cheap :  TL866    i think is very limited

average cost  : TOP xxxx series of programmers, Genius series ...

costly :   Elnec  Xeltec ...  like Dataman 48 pro, Beeprog +, Beeprog 2C ... they can do spi and i2c devices

McuMall GQ4X     was very practical,  i think their newest GQ5X series (2 different models) can do much more, i think the universal GQ5X model has been announced 1 year ago  ???

To be sure  search their database of supported ic's to find if it can do yours ...
That's the thing, I can find lots of programmers for sale, some very cheap, some very expensive, what I'm after is a recommendation for a device from someone who uses the cheap ones.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 06:36:42 am »
I use the Batronix BX39P but it's certainly not in the "cheap" category.

Would you be willing to sell your old ISA programmer in order to buy a new one? I'm a collector of vintage computer gear.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 11:32:20 am »
I use the Batronix BX39P but it's certainly not in the "cheap" category.

Would you be willing to sell your old ISA programmer in order to buy a new one? I'm a collector of vintage computer gear.

I'll dig it out and get the model number but no guarantees I won't decide to keep it, as yet there's nothing that's taken my fancy as a replacement.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 07:02:33 pm »
Since you mentioned being perpetually broke, go for the TL866. There was a TL866CS (without ICSP header) and TL866A (with ICSP). Now there is a TL866II which I know little about. I have the TL866CS converted to an A by upgrading the firmware. Note that device support is somewhat different between the original and the II model. Download device lists here: http://autoelectric.cn/EN/download.html
For a low budget programmer, it has quite a wide device support. It has worked with every old UV windowed EEPROM I have tried, and I even managed to read code out of an ancient parallel-programmed PIC microcontroller, PIC16C52. It can do modern high capacity serial FLASH as well as SPI and I2C EEPROMs, etc.  It has some Lattice GAL support I have never used. It will test SRAM, write and read NVRAM (e.g. Dallas DS12xx), and test 74xx and 4xxx logic chips.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 07:24:15 pm »
I got one of the cheap TL866 and it came with a load of adaptor sockets as well.

It's been great for me for the odd job reading old and new devices. Can't fault it for the money.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf