Author Topic: Lots of test equipment for sale on UK auction  (Read 2214 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Lots of test equipment for sale on UK auction
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2024, 05:28:36 pm »
Only when I feel I ought not to bid on items, I add travel expenses at 25p or 44p per mile depending on how much I need to dissuade myself.

I've just picked up a couple of Bird Termaline loads, 80W and 500W, for £25 each. No travelling expenses added, since I also visited a town for other pleasurable purposes.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2024, 06:40:00 pm »
So .. the first analysis is:

... have I over paid, and if so where? - I feel very little, if any, buyer regret - yet I'm not entirely satisfied with my lots.

The prices, which I've indicated below, includes my travel expense to collect the lots and a small bank travel expense - no personal time, which I would not have added to an account of this personal purchase.

.... the HP3400A came in at £159.17 - that feels high - it turns out that the item is not the sexy classic version - I'd missed the lack of a zero dial adjuster on the lot photograph. So it looks like I have a late version - not sure yet what else it needs to be fully operational.

... the three Beckman Industrial HD110 multimeters came in at £48.51 - so about £16 each. I'm now warming to these "Egon Spengler" possibly Ghostbuster DMMs- after various Ali Baba cleaning treatments. One of the three is missing a 10A (?) big fuse, but one of the other ones tried with a fresh battery was quite impressive.

The 3400A does have an uncommon special order option, the linear log scale at the top, this is why there is no zero adjustment, the meter magnet is a special shape to obtain this. On the plus side it's an 80s one, so should have the solid-state chopper board & no peeling meter scale, as long as the thermocouples are OK it's probably not too bad (not a common failure, but does happen).

The Beckman DMMs do have a higher DC voltage range than most meters, but do suffer with plastic degrading with age and as with any vintage LCD based meter, the LCD can fail with bleeding/leakage between segments.

David

The following users thanked this post: armandine2

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 08:12:35 pm »

The 3400A does have an uncommon special order option, the linear log scale at the top, this is why there is no zero adjustment, the meter magnet is a special shape to obtain this. On the plus side it's an 80s one, so should have the solid-state chopper board & no peeling meter scale, as long as the thermocouples are OK it's probably not too bad (not a common failure, but does happen).

David

It appears to have Option C30
In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught - Hunter S Thompson

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf