Author Topic: Easy Braid/Thermaltronics EB2000S rebate!  (Read 7939 times)

Offline reagleTopic starter

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
Easy Braid/Thermaltronics EB2000S rebate!
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:01:03 am »
For those on a market for a Metcal- like system, Easy Braid aka Thermaltronics has a buy 3 get 2 free deal. I stumbled on the rebate form on Digikey:
This is their 470kHz system compatible with the likes of Oki PS-900 and MFR-1100/2200. Digikey lists them at around $200 (see for ex EB1350-ND, but there are several configurations depending on tips types), so for $600 you get 5 stations. Not a bad deal IMHO, plus you can use EasyBraid, Thermaltronics or Metcal tips

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Other%20Related%20Documents/EasyBraid/EB2000S_Rebate.pdf
"Purchase 3 EB2000S soldering systems and receive 2 free when you return the rebate form below.
Complete ALL FIELDS on the form with your contact information.
Email completed form WITH a copy of your distributors sales invoice. The invoice must be dated
between April 15- July 15th, 2014"

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
  • How many pseudonyms do you have?
Re: Easy Braid/Thermaltronics EB2000S rebate!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:03:48 pm »
What's it look like inside?

Where's the temp adjustment? I guess it's fixed.

Offline gaijin

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:48:57 pm »
Looks like the temp is set by the tip you use.
Blue     325-358C
Yellow  350-398C
Red      420-475C

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:51:19 pm »
**Customer is responsible for all shipping charges—must provide a UPS/FedEx account number

This can be problematic.

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:59:04 pm »
Blue     325-358C
Yellow  350-398C
Red      420-475C

Interesting. How's that implemented?  Each one has more/less material to give higher/lower resistance?

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:01:22 pm »
Blue     325-358C
Yellow  350-398C
Red      420-475C

Interesting. How's that implemented?  Each one has more/less material to give higher/lower resistance?

These are not resistive heating elements. They're RF induction, and a specially picked alloy is used to absorb the energy. The curie temperature of the alloy is the maximum temperature.

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:06:53 pm »
The curie temperature of the alloy is the maximum temperature.

I see now. Do the METCALs operate the same? I presume so. I like the size of the iron on these but my iron's just fine and I don't need 5.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:09:57 pm »

I see now. Do the METCALs operate the same? I presume so. I like the size of the iron on these but my iron's just fine and I don't need 5.

Yes. As far as I know, the Thermaltronics units are functionally identical and actually designed by the same team.

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 02:04:17 am »
Yes. As far as I know, the Thermaltronics units are functionally identical and actually designed by the same team.

Sounds like these are good quality then. Maybe a good buy for an ebay entrepreneur.

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 09:59:31 pm »

Yes Thermaltronics was founded by some ex-Metcal employees once the original Metcal patents expired a few years ago.
Easy Braid solder stations are just re-badged Thermaltronics and primarily sold at Digi-Key.

http://www.thermaltronics.com
http://www.easybraidco.com/hand-soldering

Thermaltronics/EasyBraid is cross compatible with Metcal/Oki, so you can use tips from one manufacturer in the hand piece of another. And even use a hand piece from one manufacturer with the power supply of another.
But there's different series from each manufacturer. The most expensive series operate at 13.56 MHz, while the cheaper on ones operate at 470 KHz. So make sure to always buy accessories/replacement parts for the correct series regardless of what brand you buy from.

Thermaltronics to Metcal Tips Cross Reference http://www.thermaltronics.com/references.php
EasyBraid to Metcal Tips CrossReference http://www.easybraidco.com/cross-references.php?competitor=4

The RF soldering technology used, patents etc. are discussed is this DIY Metcal 13.56 MHz RF Supply topic https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/diy-metcal-13-56-mhz-rf-supply/150/
Based on this topic you can build you own 13.56 MHz power supply compatible with the high end hand pieces and tips from both Oki/Metcal and Thermaltronics/EasyBraid.
Or even if you don't want to build you own, you can just read the topic to learn a lot about how this unique Metcal RF solder station technology works and how the tip temperature is kept constant.

Offline reagleTopic starter

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 01:47:34 am »
I can now confirm the rebate does work- we bought some stations at work from Digikey and received the rebate ones directly from EasyBraid. Not the top of the line MX500/5000 type but still very capable stations. They even have a microswitch in the holder that shuts off power whenever the handle is placed there.  Seems to work pretty well so far.

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 07:58:26 am »
hmmm i cant rem if i read correctly but, didnt thermaltronics buy over metcal? or their patents or something like that?
No, Thermaltronics was founded by some ex-Metcal/OKI employees once the original Metcal patents expired a few years ago. I think they were just waiting for the patens to expire before launching their Thermaltronics brand.
http://www.thermaltronics.com.au
In this respect Thermaltronics is fortunate that 2 of the founders of the company, Michael Gouldsmith and Zen Lee, were previously long time employees of Metcal®/OK International, the only other company utilizing the Curie Point Technology. Michael held the position of President & CEO of OK International Inc. and Zen was Managing Director of OK China, responsible for product development, production and sales activities in S E Asia. In addition, almost 50% of the employees in Thermaltronics today come from the original OK China factory in Beijing, thereby providing a solid foundation of knowledge and experience.

Metcal on the other hand was merged with OK Industries in 1996.

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 11:17:28 am »
If anyone is looking for Thermaltronics/EasyBraid hand soldering equipment, EasyBraid is also sold by Amazon of all, but only from their US site http://www.amazon.com
Amazon only sell the top series EB9000 though.
I haven't seen it sold branded as EasyBraid anywhere else than by Digi-Key and Amazon US.

But before deciding on what Metcal/Themltronics/EasyBraid solder station series to buy, do note that the most expensive series has much wider selection of special purpose tips that the lower end series where only more generic tips are available.

Offline bombledmonk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 08:35:48 pm »
I haven't seen it sold branded as EasyBraid anywhere else than by Digi-Key and Amazon US.

That's primarily because Metcal threatens to pull their line from any distributor that carries Easybraid irons and tips.  Mostly smaller specialized distributors sell Metcal product and the risk of getting a highly profitable line pulled isn't worth it for carrying the competition.  DK 'used' to have Metcal....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf