Author Topic: would you identify DC power generate by AC  (Read 590 times)

Offline danoneTopic starter

would you identify DC power generate by AC
« on: February 25, 2021, 11:29:44 am »
Hi I know this question may be stupid for you to answer but still I want to ask

I am in a process making small software that requires only DC generated power by solar panel not battery or grid ( I want to include battery but somebody can recharge batteries by grid therefore I only want to allow Solar panels to be used.  My Question is if someone convert AC to DC would I know if it comes from grid or battery or solar panel?  I know solar panel uses inverter to convert AC to DC.

a) Is there any way I could identify by frequency if it is AC converted DC
b) Is there possibility that someone can fake AC power look like DC to work it out with this software ?

Thank you
danone.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: would you identify DC power generate by AC
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 11:39:02 am »
Electrons have no color, so there is no way to reliably determine whether or not they are from a 'green' source at the point of use.  Some sources may have characteristics that can aid identification, but the more stages of power conversion there are between the source and the load the more difficult it becomes to do so.   Also the source characteristics can be faked, though that gets harder at higher power levels.   Worst case, you've got absolutely no way of telling if the user has gaffer taped a solar panel to a klieg light running from the grid!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:41:00 am by Ian.M »

Offline fordem

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 12:36:53 pm »
I know solar panel uses inverter to convert AC to DC.

This is incorrect - on two counts.

First - solar panels output DC; second - inverters convert DC to AC, to convert AC to DC, a rectifier is normally used.

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 07:01:17 pm »
Nothing wrong with stupid question, its what the inter-netty was made for!

You have to take your local providers or NEWs word for where your power was generated.  https://datastudio.google.com/reporting/1Fah7mn1X9itiFAMIvCFkj_tEYXHdxAll/page/TyK1?s=gXXFj78m97w Once its DC its even more anonymous. You're AC may have been DC somewhere along the way. No software could sort this out, so you couldn't hack it. It like asking can you tell if electicity on the grid come from gas or nuclear- its not labelled and it all just goes into your loacal or national pool. If you dont like it then you really do have to go off grid. Some people dont like pooling, like dopes Texas. Look how that turned out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf