Author Topic: Frequency Counter ??  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Ranger14Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Frequency Counter ??
« on: May 23, 2016, 01:38:45 am »
I got a deal on a Fluke 1900A off ebay for my current project .. But my concern comes as what are the uses after my current project? I was thinking I could use it on my analog scope when trying to build smps ??
I don't mean to ask a simply question but I have a very small work space and still a noob to electronics..

Offline jeroen79

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Frequency Counter ??
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:19:42 am »
You would use it whenever a project involves something working at a high frequency that you want to know or tune very precisely.
This could be a radio, switching power supply, digital clock, ...

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 02:36:22 am »
But my concern comes as what are the uses after my current project?

Fluke 1900A - measures from 5 Hz to 80 MHz.

Well, that's what it does, so what use(s) does it have after your current project? The same use it has now - to measure from 5 Hz to 80 MHz.

:-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:11:02 am »
You'll use it anytime you need to know the frequency of a signal to a resolution of up to 6 digits. Many digital scopes have a built-in hardware frequency counter of similar resolution. If yours doesn't, then that's what you'd use the 1900 for.

That model can also keep a running count of the number of pulses it sees. So, if you ever need to count something like trigger events from a device, especially when they occur very quickly, it's useful for that too.

If you don't think you'd ever need to know the frequency of a signal to that level of resolution again, nor have to count electrical pulses, then you don't need the device.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline csmithdoteu

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 09:58:45 am »
A frequency counter is very useful. Some ideas:

1. Despite it overflowing at 80MHz, you can add a prescaler to these. A divide by 10 prescaler will give you 800MHz and a divide by 100 will give you 8GHz counting capability with an appropriate loss in resolution.
2. The 1900A does period so you can measure pulse lengths. This is useful for measuring duty cycle without a fancy new digital scope.
3. The 1900A does total counts so you can count events. This is actually really useful for debugging some protocols (expected state transitions), pulse chains and all sorts. I even had one counting reeled components once with a small aperture IR beam break detector.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
To Old To Big Very low frequency
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 10:10:04 am »
I quit this one, will have a limited use and is to big, for few buck you can get a small and better thing check frequency meter on ebay

Offline Ranger14Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: To Old To Big Very low frequency
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 08:13:49 pm »

Thank you everyone for the great information and input :-+ :-+

I quit this one, will have a limited use and is to big, for few buck you can get a small and better thing check frequency meter on ebay
Normal I would agree but I bought the unit broken for $12 shipped ..The seller claim no power but will have to see if it was worth it ..

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 03:47:58 am »
I think you will likely much prefer a precision Fluke bench instrument over some piece of Chinese junk loose circuit board off eBay.

Keep it around. It will come in quite handy. You just have to remember when it cuts out. There is usually no indication of overflow, IIRC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf