Author Topic: which one is right - pin outs on a split rail 7912cv  (Read 4171 times)

Offline DeathwishTopic starter

• Supporter
which one is right - pin outs on a split rail 7912cv
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:02:07 pm »
Ok this should be easy  :scared: , I pulled a couple of diagrams of the net to build a split rail supply from a centre tapped transformer. the 7912 is an ST 7912CV which according to the DS is a TO220 with pins 1=gnd, 2= in and 3= out.  I take gnd to be taken from the centre tap of the transformer and connect up as such, i took In pin 2 to be from the negative of the Bridge rectifier, but oh no, all I get is a hot regulator and naff all else. so I take a look at the 2 diagrams I have and suddenly my mind goes into a spin , which pin outs are the right ones ..... Do they play pass the pins with these things ?
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
Re: which one is right - pin outs on a split rail 7912cv
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:08:15 pm »
Yes, the negative (79xx) versions have a different pinout. 

The centre pin on a to-220 is normally connected to the centre tab.  This necessarily changes the pinout of the negative regulator since the silicon is directly and conductivity attached to the tab. 

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:10:58 pm »
The 7812 is playing nicely as it should its the 7912 that is not.but both of those diagrams have different pin outs to different places yet the transformer is still a centre tapped one in both. So which is right.

I lost the plot with it and am now watching serial killers on youtube till I calm down
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:22:20 pm »
Do you have the tabs of the two regulators isolated?  Otherwise you'll short the input to the negative regulator to gnd.

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:25:12 pm »
Oh sorry, I think I'm following you now.  I've never seen them switch the pins on the 79xx.  It should be Ground-input-output (1-2-3), so your first diagram following the red numbers is right.

You don't have both of 'em screwed to the same heatsink do you?

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 10:26:42 pm »
No both are on seperate heatsinks.

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 10:59:40 pm »
Its running ok now. Oh well, stupid pin outs. got to put a 5V rail on next.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 11:13:24 pm »
It's also a good idea to add some protection diodes for different fault conditions:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:31:31 pm by apis »

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 03:24:37 am »
Ok this should be easy  :scared: , I pulled a couple of diagrams of the net to build a split rail supply from a centre tapped transformer. the 7912 is an ST 7912CV which according to the DS is a TO220 with pins 1=gnd, 2= in and 3= out.  I take gnd to be taken from the centre tap of the transformer and connect up as such, i took In pin 2 to be from the negative of the Bridge rectifier, but oh no, all I get is a hot regulator and naff all else. so I take a look at the 2 diagrams I have and suddenly my mind goes into a spin , which pin outs are the right ones ..... Do they play pass the pins with these things ?

RTFM.  Read The Formatted Datasheet for the parts :)

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 08:02:45 am »
"the 7912 is an ST 7912CV which according to the DS is a TO220 with pins 1=gnd, 2= in and 3= out."

Kind of tells you I DID RTFM
My gripe is with common parts such as the 78 or 79xx series devices I would expect them to be drop in replacements for each other, but if you are going to draw a circuit diagram use the pin designator not numbers. The use of G, I ,O on those circuit diags rather than 1,2,3 would of been much more use to a beginner or anyone else as far as I am concerned.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf