Author Topic: What sort of price are you paying per PCB ?  (Read 386 times)

Offline Ram80Topic starter

• Contributor
What sort of price are you paying per PCB ?
« on: Yesterday at 10:34:38 am »
I thought I'd make a few devices for friends. I'm using jlcpcb.

For a 5 x 5cm PCB with an MCU, segmented LCD with driver IC, buzzer, few capacitors, resistors, battery holder, header pins and everything on default settings i.e 2-layer, top side only assembly it's going to cost around $6 per assembled PCB.

I'm a bit disappointed I thought I could get them for around $2-3, what prices are you paying per PCB assembled or not?

Online ftg

• Regular Contributor
    • ftg's RF hax paeg
Re: What sort of price are you paying per PCB ?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:05:23 pm »
That sounds very reasonable for a small batch board with assembly.
You might get the price lower by avoiding parts from the extended parts library and only using Basic and Preferred Extended parts.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 12:51:58 pm »
The very low prices are only for bare PCB's. (2 copper layers, 2 solder masks 2 silk screens, no solder stencil)

What is your BOM cost for the parts? uC, LCD, lcd driver, etc. Have you considered that in your price?

The problem with small quantity PCB's is that assembly takes a relatively big amount of human intervention. There are problems with standardization to communicate footprint orientation from EDA software to assembler. For making of the PCB it does not matter, the pattern of the copper to be etched and other layers are defined well enough, but once you start assembling, your QFP can be rotated and your diodes can be backwards. Even if it takes only 5 minutes to check this, all profit for the assembler would already have evaporated. Add to that the labor to put the bare PCB's on the assembly line and packaging the PCB and send them to you and it's amazing it can be done for such a low cost at all.

For assembling these low prices are also only possible for parts that are already on the machine. Ordering custom parts for you, taking off the packaging and adjusting the P&P machine so it can pick up your custom parts can not be done for EUR6.

Offline PGPG

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 12:55:44 pm »
You didn't said what MCU you used. It can have big influence on price.
I'm using AtXmega256A3U (about $8 at mouser.com). I didn't checked it but would not expect JLCPCB to offer me assembled my PCB for $3 (even $6).
And there are certainly more expensive MCUs available.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 12:56:36 pm »
Considering everyone in Europe was asking 500 EUR + for setup costs for a PCBAs I don't think that JLCPCB prices are unreasonable.
I wish they would stop being shady with their arbitrary rules, and shipping surcharges. Otherwise they are incredibly good with small production numbers.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 05:08:31 pm »
I thought I'd make a few devices for friends. I'm using jlcpcb.

For a 5 x 5cm PCB with an MCU, segmented LCD with driver IC, buzzer, few capacitors, resistors, battery holder, header pins and everything on default settings i.e 2-layer, top side only assembly it's going to cost around $6 per assembled PCB.

I'm a bit disappointed I thought I could get them for around $2-3, what prices are you paying per PCB assembled or not?
What is your BOM price? To get seriously low prices you need to take care to pull in the most economical parts. If you don't, the price can mushroom fast. The price of the MCU, driver and segmented LCD could vary enormously.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:31:01 pm »
BOM was $4.50 for a quantity of 5 each. There are two setups fees, one for the PCB and one for the assembly that's where the majority of the cost is going. And I am using an STM8.

I guess this is really cheap, I do wonder though how companies make any profit from selling electronic devices, you must have to order a large batch 10k, 100k units before you can make any profit.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:14:13 pm »
BOM was $4.50 for a quantity of 5 each. There are two setups fees, one for the PCB and one for the assembly that's where the majority of the cost is going. And I am using an STM8.

I guess this is really cheap, I do wonder though how companies make any profit from selling electronic devices, you must have to order a large batch 10k, 100k units before you can make any profit.

Yeah, that's cheap for low-volume production.  I would jump at that, myself.
Making a profit depends on the value of what you are making, and that depends to a large extent on how easy it is for others to make and the size of the market (potential supply and demand).  I sell small and medium-sized products in low volume, where the assembled boards cost between $5 and $50.  In most cases the enclosures cost as much as the boards.  Some of these designs are quite simple.  But the demand is too low for anyone to bother competing, and the perceived value is high enough that I can sell them at a reasonable profit. 
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline PGPG

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 06:17:48 pm »
I do wonder though how companies make any profit from selling electronic devices, you must have to order a large batch 10k, 100k units before you can make any profit.

Not exactly.
In 1988 we (me and my brother) set up our small company. Imagine how much we could invest in our company as previously as academic teacher I was earning about $13 per month (not a mistake - we were communist country those time) and my brother about the same.
Since then we are selling only designed by us electronic devices. We've been living on this for 36 years, but I've never been a rich man. Our typical order batch is 100 units.
If people know that if they select your product then they install it and for 20+ years can just forget about it they are able to pay for it more than for others.
An example of a situation that creates a good opinion about your product. About 15 years ago a building where our access control system was just installed was struck by lightning. All of their systems with long cables (alarm panels, telephone exchanges, network cards of most computers) went down, only our system continued to work. The installer wrote that now those who delivered those systems will earn money and he will get nothing :)

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Ram80

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 06:27:24 pm »
So I was playing around with the panel option on jlc. If I understand it correct you can order a panel of PCBs. So I choose a 5x5 panel (by jlc)which I assume is 25 PCBs. Now the standard 5 units was on as default so that would be 125 PCBs and the price per PCB this way is just over $1 per PCB. That's 6 times cheaper than ordering single pcbs.

I don't have a panel Gerber but I could whip one up so I chose the "panel by jlc" option at 5x5.

This seems too good to be true, a PCB for $1 each, this is assuming I've understood it and put all my settings in correct.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 07:49:52 pm »
This seems too good to be true, a PCB for $1 each, this is assuming I've understood it and put all my settings in correct.

FWIW, I just did a run of bare PCBs at JLC:  small boards about 3x8 cm, a few holes and cutouts, silk screen text over a blue soldermask (these were used for enclosure front-panels).  JLC did their own panelization and cutting, delivering the individual boards.  For a quantity of 50, these cost me $0.28 each (not counting tax or shipping).  This was part of a larger order, so shipping, while still a significant percentage, was shared with the other boards.
These were otherwise basic 2-layer boards, with solid copper ground planes on both sides.  There may have been a small discount applied, JLC usually has these available whenever I order something.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 09:36:21 pm »

FWIW, I just did a run of bare PCBs at JLC:  small boards about 3x8 cm, a few holes and cutouts, silk screen text over a blue soldermask (these were used for enclosure front-panels).  JLC did their own panelization and cutting, delivering the individual boards.  For a quantity of 50, these cost me $0.28 each (not counting tax or shipping).  This was part of a larger order, so shipping, while still a significant percentage, was shared with the other boards.
These were otherwise basic 2-layer boards, with solid copper ground planes on both sides.  There may have been a small discount applied, JLC usually has these available whenever I order something.

I opted for PCBA also in my quote

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf