Author Topic: what an oscilloscope recommended for a woman passionate about electronics?  (Read 136372 times)

Offline CharlotteSwissTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
in the evening I ordered: siglent sds1202x-e.
I hope to learn how to use it properly.
I'll update as soon as it arrives, I'll have to go with the velvet gloves...
 ^-^

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
in the evening I ordered: siglent sds1202x-e.
I hope to learn how to use it properly.
I'll update as soon as it arrives, I'll have to go with the velvet gloves...
 ^-^

Lots of luck with that new purchase!    As they say one step at a time.

• Frequent Contributor
thanks wizard, I will try to learn slowly, possibly without doing damage
 ;)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it, I've never used a Siglent but it looks like a nice little scope. Now the important thing is to learn how to use it properly, first so that you don't damage it, and then so that you know how to get the most out of it.

DON'T be tempted to try to look at the mains waveform, I don't really know why but every new scope owner seems to want to do that at some point and you really need a differential probe to do it. Looking at the low voltage AC output of a power transformer is fine though.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Read The Fine Manual!  Skim through quickly on the first pass, just to find out where things are, and then get serious.  You should try to get a couple of passes through the manual before the scope arrives.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 12:33:15 am by rstofer »

• Frequent Contributor
DON'T be tempted to try to look at the mains waveform, I don't really know why but every new scope owner seems to want to do that at some point and you really need a differential probe to do it. Looking at the low voltage AC output of a power transformer is fine though.

thanks for the warning, I will certainly not connect the probe to the mains voltage.
the standard probes have a maximum input voltage> 600vac.
Vpp of my mains voltage is: (mainsvac X square root of 2) x2 = Vacpp (certainly higher than 600), I would risk damage  :phew:
To test measurements I have to see if I have a power supply with lower AC voltage output, now I don't remember..
 ^-^
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:53:23 am by CharlotteSwiss »

• Frequent Contributor
Read The Fine Manual!  Skim through quickly on the first pass, just to find out where things are, and then get serious.  You should try to get a couple of passes through the manual before the scope arrives.

ok i will do so  ;)
I will need a hand in the first period, I will be helpful to understand that the oscilloscope is not defective (alone I am not capable)
Then calmly read the manual by yourself and I will begin to learn  ^-^
thanks rstofer

Ps: what parts of manaule do you mean before the oscilloscope arrives? however I have already read the first part of the manual ...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:32:04 am by CharlotteSwiss »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.

ok i will do so  ;)
I will need a hand in the first period, I will be helpful to understand that the oscilloscope is not defective (alone I am not capable)
Check it has latest firmware then just use it !

Learn how to grab USB screenshots (blue Print button  ;)) and how to post them here on the forum.
Try to capture the appropriate menu screen to show settings used as this gives us a heap of info for which to guide you with advice on correct usage.
You'l love the little X-E in no time and it will serve you well for years.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

• Frequent Contributor
Learn how to grab USB screenshots (blue Print button  ;)) and how to post them here on the forum.
Try to capture the appropriate menu screen to show settings used as this gives us a heap of info for which to guide you with advice on correct usage.

thanks tautech  ;)
yes here I'll see right away if I have the latest firmware on board.
Ok to take the screenshots.

my siglent is already on his way to me...

being very precise and meticulous, I will certainly try in the menus if there is the operating time and the switching on of the device
(often the devices are used 15-30 days to understand if they are free from problems ... and if they are returned they often have some problems)
 :-//

we hope well
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:23:10 am by CharlotteSwiss »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
I will certainly try in the menus if there is the operating time and the switching on of the device

I don't think there's any hours timer, System Status (Page 164) shows how many times it's been Started Up.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor

Ps: what parts of manaule do you mean before the oscilloscope arrives? however I have already read the first part of the manual ...

When you read through quickly, you are only learning what features the scope has, not how to use them.  Later on, when you want to use a feature, you'll remember that it has the feature and that it is described in the manual.  Then you can get into the details.

The manual won't make a lot of sense on first reading unless you have the scope sitting right there.  Don't worry, you'll have a long time to play with the scope and manual together.

You will see 'buzz' words like Single Shot, Roll Mode, Volts/Div, Time/Div and many others.  It's probably not possible to absorb all of these things on the first reading.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor

Outstanding!

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor

Work through "Prepare For Using" starting on Page 5 of the manual.  By page 8, you will have a trace and both probes compensated.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor

thanks for the warning, I will certainly not connect the probe to the mains voltage.
the standard probes have a maximum input voltage> 600vac.
Vpp of my mains voltage is: (mainsvac X square root of 2) x2 = Vacpp (certainly higher than 600), I would risk damage  :phew:
To test measurements I have to see if I have a power supply with lower AC voltage output, now I don't remember..
 ^-^

The problem isn't the voltage, using the probe in x10 mode will reduce the voltage as seen by the scope to about 60V.  There's a question in my mind whether the probe can handle such voltage but that's not the biggest problem.

The ground clip is the problem!  You would have a tendency to connect it to Neutral and that will immediately short the Neutral to Earth Ground through the scope.  There will be a non-zero voltage difference between the points and current will flow.  A LOT of current.  It is easy to destroy the probe/scope and damage the user by trying to make this measurement.  Just don't!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor

thanks tautech  ;)
yes here I'll see right away if I have the latest firmware on board.
Ok to take the screenshots.

being very precise and meticulous, I will certainly try in the menus if there is the operating time and the switching on of the device
(often the devices are used 15-30 days to understand if they are free from problems ... and if they are returned they often have some problems)
 :-//

we hope well
Siglent products have 3 year warranty and HW failures are very rare IME in my NZ marketplace. Siglent have been excellent when I needed warranty support.
SDS1202X-E have been a strong seller here and for Siglent worldwide for good reason.  ;)
It will serve you well.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Frequent Contributor
I don't think there's any hours timer, System Status (Page 164) shows how many times it's been Started Up.
thanks  ;)
I should only have about 1 boot in that menu.. we'll see

Offline bin_liu

• Contributor
In our country, most amateur players cannot afford isolation probes or high voltage differential probes; :(
Then someone used a 1:1 transformer to isolate the city electricity from the power supply of the oscilloscope, and used a 100x probe to measure the primary signal waveform of the switching power supply. This measurement method is very dangerous, and the human body cannot touch it during measurement. Any metal part of the oscilloscope. No metal parts of the oscilloscope can touch the workbench or other objects.
Economic conditions permit, it is better to add an isolation probe or a high-voltage differential probe.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 03:07:18 am by bin_liu »

• Frequent Contributor
Work through "Prepare For Using" starting on Page 5 of the manual.  By page 8, you will have a trace and both probes compensated.

I had seen, the probes must be compensated before using them for the first time .. I guess it is no longer necessary to do this operation

The problem isn't the voltage, using the probe in x10 mode will reduce the voltage as seen by the scope to about 60V.  There's a question in my mind whether the probe can handle such voltage but that's not the biggest problem.
The ground clip is the problem!  You would have a tendency to connect it to Neutral and that will immediately short the Neutral to Earth Ground through the scope.  There will be a non-zero voltage difference between the points and current will flow.  A LOT of current.  It is easy to destroy the probe/scope and damage the user by trying to make this measurement.  Just don't!

this would only happen if I was wrong to position the ground clip. If the clip is positioned exactly on the circuit ground, then with the 1x10 probe would it be possible to measure 230vrsm? (I won't do it)

a curiosity: ok even with 1x10 probe better not to measure the mains voltage. But reasonably, up to what voltage limit of the circuit is it possible to measure safely with the oscilloscope using normal and non-voltage probes? 30, 60 volts max?

^-^ thanks
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 03:36:58 am by CharlotteSwiss »

• Frequent Contributor
Siglent products have 3 year warranty and HW failures are very rare IME in my NZ marketplace. Siglent have been excellent when I needed warranty support.
SDS1202X-E have been a strong seller here and for Siglent worldwide for good reason.  ;)
It will serve you well.
if all goes well, much better  ;)
thanks  ^-^

Online tautech

• Super Contributor

I had seen, the probes must be compensated before using them for the first time .. I guess it is no longer necessary to do this operation
It is unless the seller has already compensated probes as I do.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Frequent Contributor
In our country, most amateur players cannot afford isolation probes or high voltage differential probes; :(
Then someone used a 1:1 transformer to isolate the city electricity from the power supply of the oscilloscope, and used a 100x probe to measure the primary signal waveform of the switching power supply. This measurement method is very dangerous, and the human body cannot touch it during measurement. Any metal part of the oscilloscope. No metal parts of the oscilloscope can touch the workbench or other objects.
Economic conditions permit, it is better to add an isolation probe or a high-voltage differential probe.
an isolation probe or a high-voltage differential probe they have a very high price..
my solution will be to not measure parts of the high voltage circuit  :-//

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
an isolation probe or a high-voltage differential probe they have a very high price..
my solution will be to not measure parts of the high voltage circuit  :-//
You can use Siglent's ISFE albeit with limited BW.
These connect directly to the scopes input BNC's and provide for 2 isolated channels.
https://www.siglenteu.com/accessory/isolated-channel-optional-accessories%ef%bc%88isfe%ef%bc%89/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor

It's always worth checking the probe compensation, it only takes a moment to do it.

Offline bin_liu

• Contributor

It's always worth checking the probe compensation, it only takes a moment to do it.

It seems that the probe is rarely calibrated without changing the channel. ???

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
this would only happen if I was wrong to position the ground clip. If the clip is positioned exactly on the circuit ground, then with the 1x10 probe would it be possible to measure 230vrsm? (I won't do it)

a curiosity: ok even with 1x10 probe better not to measure the mains voltage. But reasonably, up to what voltage limit of the circuit is it possible to measure safely with the oscilloscope using normal and non-voltage probes? 30, 60 volts max?
My Hantek probes are rated 600V peak in 10x mode and 200V in 1x mode. 230VRMS is easily within their capability in 10x mode.

It's not about voltage, it's about transient overvoltages and available pulse energy in the event the probe's insulation breaks down and arcs over. Same applies to DMM and their probes.
https://content.fluke.com/promotions/promo-dmm/0518-dmm-campaign/dmm/fluke_dmm-chfr/files/safetyguidelines.pdf

Most simple scope probes simply aren't CAT rated at all. They may work, until some motor turns off nearby and then they may or may not crap out, no warranty.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf