Author Topic: Velleman 5Mhz hand held scope  (Read 4185 times)

Offline M0BSWTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
Velleman 5Mhz hand held scope
« on: September 23, 2012, 06:53:14 pm »
I have had this oscilloscope for some years, & I wondered what uses I can have for it, It is only 5mhz, but it must still have some uses, it is only one channel, but as one of the first bit of gear I bought it's going no where, I often wondered if there's any upgrades available for it , any thoughts.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:01:52 pm by M0BSW »
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Velleman 5mhz hand held scope
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:02:40 pm »
I have a Velleman HPS40 which is similar.  I use it to probe where I think there may be mains voltage, and its my sacrificial scope, if it blows, not a big loss.  Its also suitable for automotive waveforms.  So far, so good, its about 4+years old now.  For when I suspect mains, I use it at the 10x setting, I have the DUT off before attaching the probes if possible, I check the waveform without touching the DUT or probe, or using the 'one hand rule' but wearing gloves.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 03:57:10 pm »
 You don'y want a wallop of the mains that for sure, we are at 24/50 volts in the UK not sure what yours is, god knows why it has to be so high, I'd be more happy with 110v. having said that they all can send you to the promise land  :o

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:32:07 pm »
Yes, remember use peak of your mains when calculating the safe limits to use the probe and the scope.  That would put it 340Vp at 50 Hz.

I was troubleshooting a DC PSU 2 years ago outputting up to variable 0-300VDC and the PSU was pumping transients to 1000VDC.  Velleman came through but its an example of this little scope doing useful things.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:24:19 pm »
 Their big voltages, i'd be sweating, mind you one of my valve amateur radio transmitters give out a fair punch, it's when you lift the lid off and the area where the output valves says clearly "Danger high lethal voltage do not remove" that's good enough for me leave alone.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 07:39:52 pm »
You don'y want a wallop of the mains that for sure, we are at 24/50 volts in the UK not sure what yours is, god knows why it has to be so high, I'd be more happy with 110v. having said that they all can send you to the promise land  :o
With 110V you need thicker cables to carry the same current so you can't at most get 2000W, whereas with our 240V ring mains we get 3.12kW at the wall. lower voltages = higher losses that's why power transmission have cables so thin when they are carrying gigawatts

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Velleman 5Mhz hand held scope
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 07:14:20 pm »
 I learn something NEW every day long may it continue, I never even give it any thought before Thank You, I talk to some of the Tech guys at work , but if your not at their level they really don't want to know , which is sad, as asking questions is the only way, learning electronics to me is learnt by making mistakes & I have a few in the trophy bin, which I may have to buy a bigger bin :), nice learning though.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:59:42 pm by M0BSW »

Offline PSR B1257

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 07:52:26 pm »
5mhz
I would prefer a capital M  ;)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:37:02 pm »
I have an HPS40 that I use with a 100X probe for checking generator sets, its fairly useful for that type of work as I am only looking for abnormalities in the waveform. Most of the alternators are 3 phase 415 and neutral. I have not blown it up yet even across 2 phases.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 04:00:07 pm »
5mhz
I would prefer a capital M  ;)
Hows that then

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf