Author Topic: Variac bypass wiring?  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Chris WilsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Race car engineer, dog lover, hoarder.
Variac bypass wiring?
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:29:53 pm »
I put a big 25 Amp Variac in a high voltage  PSU cabinet for running
the plate voltage on a linear RF amplifier. The idea being I can
also use the HV supply via the Variac to tame it a bit for other
applications. I know a Variac can soften the supply so was planning on
using a multi pole change over switch to enable the HV PSU to run
either direct off the mains or via the Variac. I may have been over
complicating things by planning to use a multi pole switch. Please see
attached, wouldn't a single pole on / off switch of about 30 amp work
as I have shown in the schematic? Want to be sure I am not missing
something daft...

Thanks!
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Variac bypass wiring?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:33:38 pm »
Consider what would happen if you closed the switch with the varoac set to miinimum.
You need a changeover switch, and if possible an on-off-on type, to avoid arcing problems if switched on-load
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 07:40:16 pm »
It would be an internal switch Mike, that I as the only only user of this thing, would know to change BEFORE the supply was turned on. In fact the door of the cabinet has an interlock switch killing the power altogether if it's opened. I see the potential issue though, thanks for pointing it out!
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 08:28:22 pm »
It would be an internal switch Mike, that I as the only only user of this thing, would know to change BEFORE the supply was turned on.

That kind of thinking is generally what leads to letting the magic smoke out -- always assume you will forget and do something stupid.  Also, I am not sure you see Mike's point: unless the variac wiper is set exactly to 1:1 engaging the bypass will create shorted turn(s) on the variac. This will lead to a large circulating current through the wiper.  If you are only a couple of turns off, this will create unwanted heating of the core and the brush.  If you are off by more than that, it will blow the secondary fuse.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:33:42 pm »
Changover switch recommended. I have had to change variacs that were used only over a small range of control which wore out the windings at a point. I did use a 115VAC 400Hz 5A variac very successfully as a light dimmer, feeding it with 12VAC 50Hz from a toroid and dimming a 12V halogen lamp from the output. Still works perfectly, though I no longer use it, having upgraded to LED light.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 08:56:00 pm »
It would be an internal switch Mike, that I as the only only user of this thing, would know to change BEFORE the supply was turned on.

That kind of thinking is generally what leads to letting the magic smoke out -- always assume you will forget and do something stupid.  Also, I am not sure you see Mike's point: unless the variac wiper is set exactly to 1:1 engaging the bypass will create shorted turn(s) on the variac. This will lead to a large circulating current through the wiper.  If you are only a couple of turns off, this will create unwanted heating of the core and the brush.  If you are off by more than that, it will blow the secondary fuse.

You are right, I was missing his point.  I am glad I posted, I had a feeling it was all too easy...

I will try and source a suitable changeover switch. The original single phase supply had a 40 amp main input trip switch, so I need something that will handle about 40 amps when it is feeding the HV transformer direct and it sees full load. If run via the Variac a much smaller current draw would be made, as it would be feeding a much lesser load, so the 25 Amp limit of the Variac would be respected.

The infamous Ebay didn't show anything obviously suitable, especially if I try and find the ideal make / break / make type. I am in the UK, same as Mike, by the way. Thanks for stopping the magic smoke getting out ;)
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf