Author Topic: Using a small resistor in some water instead of a power resistor?  (Read 3814 times)

Offline MLXXXp

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Using a small resistor in some water instead of a power resistor?
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 05:09:21 pm »
I omitted the words "most of". I've edited my post.

And IMHO it's still wrong. Although it depends on what one defines the meaning of the word most to be in this case, personally, for two resistors of almost identical value in parallel, I wouldn't consider the small amount of additional current that the lower value one draws, compared to the higher one, to be most of the current.

A clear statement for all cases would be to use more of, not most of:
Yes, connecting resistors in parallel causes more of the current to go through the one with the least resistance.

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 05:14:40 pm »
And I just did a quick and dirty test of your theories.
Put a 10 \$\Omega\$ 1/4W resistor in a glass of tap water, run 1A through it (10V) for good 5 minutes, some bubbles and not much else.
Same resistor burned in air in less than 10 second.
So my conclusion, if you need some quick and dirty 10W capable resistor for a few minutes, go ahead and dump your run of the mill 1/4 watter in a glass of water. :) :)
 :)

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username, help_me_pick_username

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 05:17:34 pm »
Put a 10 \$\Omega\$ 1/4W resistor in a glass of tap water, run 1A through it (10V) for good 5 minutes, some bubbles and not much else.
So my conclusion, if you need some quick and dirty 10W capable resistor for a few minutes, go ahead and dump your run of the mill 1/4 watter in a glass ow water.

Yes. Do note that the speed of the corrosion starts to accelerate. If the tap water is relatively low mineral, the rate of reaction is fairly low first, but the more it reacts, the more metals are dissolved into the water, making it more conductive, again making the reaction happen more quickly. An accelerating spiral of death.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 07:20:58 pm »
I omitted the words "most of". I've edited my post.

And IMHO it's still wrong. Although it depends on what one defines the meaning of the word most to be in this case, personally, for two resistors of almost identical value in parallel, I wouldn't consider the small amount of additional current that the lower value one draws, compared to the higher one, to be most of the current.

A clear statement for all cases would be to use more of, not most of:
Yes, connecting resistors in parallel causes more of the current to go through the one with the least resistance.
This is why one should learn the basic maths behind it, to avoid getting into semantics.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2019, 03:35:16 pm »
So my conclusion, if you need some quick and dirty 10W capable resistor for a few minutes, go ahead and dump your run of the mill 1/4 watter in a glass ow water.

And also do remember NOT to drink the water afterwards...   :-DD

Yes. Do note that the speed of the corrosion starts to accelerate. If the tap water is relatively low mineral, the rate of reaction is fairly low first, but the more it reacts, the more metals are dissolved into the water, making it more conductive, again making the reaction happen more quickly. An accelerating spiral of death.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline help_me_pick_usernameTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2019, 04:41:44 am »
why water and not oil??
I don't have mineral oil. I guess I could always use vegetable oil for a quick and dirty test instead...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf