Author Topic: The neighbor is shooting something at me that pops in my ears.  (Read 9040 times)

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: The neighbor is shooting something at me that pops in my ears.
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 11:05:39 pm »
no idea if it's a good idea to place a deathly trap against the dog; here we would legally call that 'damage on property' even though the dog doesn't belong in your garden.
to shoot in any way back isn't clever as well; as far as I understand the U.S. of A. everybody can kill anybody else for no reason; so I guess 'keep calm' isn't such a bad advice.
Check the law in your state/country. Foxes and coyotes are common pests in the US and I'm pretty sure it's legal to set kill traps in lots of the states. If the trap is legal and is on private land and it gets someone's dog, I don't see how they can take any legal action against you.

If trapping is illegal, then how about poison? Dark chocolate/coco is very effective against coyotes and dogs.

However, it would definitely be illegal if you shot your neighbour's dog, even on your land, unless it's attacking you. I'm sure there's a difference between the dog being killed by a trap/poison which is legitimately used to control pests and being shot.

I can hardly imagine RF beam causing such strong audible disturbances without burning the skin at the same time. Any high power microwave source will first of all cause noticable skin heating and possibly damage to eye cornea. Must be some sonic weapon. Very strange story.
Look up microwave auditory effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_auditory_effect

Edit: Just came to my mind. If this story is real it is possible that he is not shooting nothing, he is not using any "star wars" technology, he might be using some kind of poison to cause these effects to you. There are some well known ototoxins, which cause tinnitus, which includes symptoms some of which fit your description.
It's true that poisons can cause tinnitus, but I doubt it would be acute and it's a bit of a coincidence that it only happens, when he's outside. If it's a gas, he'd have to be using lots of it and it would affect other animals too. Going by the description, it seems to be too focused, to be a poison.

Offline gregb

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 11:06:43 pm »
Workplace had a small handheld ultrasonic distance measurer, looked like a Star Trek phaser. This was 6 years ago and I can't find a pic online sorry. I'm guessing it was pretty cheap.

You could ping someone with it across the room, and if the beam hit them they'd hear a clicking sound. I understand this isn't 'hearing' the beam, it's the on/off modulation of the beam causing a sympathetic vibration, and the subject hears that.

Very low power and no ear ringing effects with it though.

If you don't know what it is when you hear it, the effect is pretty unsettling.

The following users thanked this post: cdev, TimNJ

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 11:22:47 pm »
Maybe your neighbor is using something like this:

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 11:23:51 pm »

I am pretty sure that sawdust under some conditions can be toxic, specifically some kinds of wood, including pines, which you mentioned, contain tremerogenic mycotoxins. Also, if there is damp sawdust. several putative neurotoxic agents may be present.

See https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8008045/

Are you practicing good dust control and wearing at east a N-95 (p-100 HEPA is the only one I found adequate) mask?

----

Aspergillus spp. such as Aspergillius fumigatus are also known to produce Abundant" quantities of highly respirable ergot alkaloids which can cause sleep disturbances, even mild drug like visual disturbances, More even than ergot itself. This problem can be incidental to composting, as well as sawmills where a lot of wood is sawed up.

Ergot alkaloids are well known from ancient times for causing periods of mass psychosis which as late as the 1600s were documented as leading to contamination of bread and subsequently to witch burnings, in places like Salem, MA. and also throughout Europe.

See  Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005 Jun; 71(6): 3106–3111.
doi: 10.1128/AEM.71.6.3106-3111.2005
PMCID: PMC1151833
PMID: 15933008
Abundant Respirable Ergot Alkaloids from the Common Airborne Fungus Aspergillus fumigatus†
Daniel G. Panaccione* and Christine M. Coyle.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1151833/

----------------
Additional material from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8008045/

Mycopathologia
. 1993 Nov;124(2):87-93.  doi: 10.1007/BF01103107.
Production of tremorgenic mycotoxins by isolates of Aspergillus fumigatus from sawmills in Sweden
C J Land  1 , H Lundström, S Werner
Affiliations  expand
PMID: 8008045  DOI: 10.1007/BF01103107
Abstract
One hundred and six strains of A. fumigatus were isolated from 21 sawmills in Sweden, and 73 of these strains were examined for production of fumitremorgen B and verruculogen (tremorgenic mycotoxins) on YES-medium using thin layer chromatography (TLC). Twenty-three strains (32%) were tremorgen producers and 50 strains (68%) were non-producers. Tremorgenic mycotoxins were detected in conidia of seven A. fumigatus strains. The amount of toxin varied between 0.6-8.0 microgram/10(8) conidia (mean value 2.3 micrograms/10(8) conidia, equivalent with 0.18%). No production of the mycotoxin gliotoxin was detected in 6 strains of A. fumigatus. No tremorgens were detected during mould growth on wood substrates, in spite of the use of different wood species (Scots pine, Pinus sylvestris: Norway spruce, Picea abies and birch, Betula spp.), dried versus non-dried wood, bark (pine), leached wood, and wood after various sterilization methods.

Similar articles
Tremorgenic mycotoxins from Aspergillus fumigatus as a possible occupational health problem in sawmills.
Land CJ, Hult K, Fuchs R, Hagelberg S, Lundström H.
Appl Environ Microbiol. 1987 Apr;53(4):787-90. doi: 10.1128/AEM.53.4.787-790.1987.
PMID: 3555338 Free PMC article.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3555338/

Verruculogen production in airborne and clinical isolates of Aspergillus fumigatus Fres.
Kosalec I, Klarić MS, Pepeljnjak S.
Acta Pharm. 2005 Dec;55(4):357-64.
PMID: 16375825

Isolation and identification of Aspergillus fumigatus mycotoxins on growth medium and some building materials.
Nieminen SM, Kärki R, Auriola S, Toivola M, Laatsch H, Laatikainen R, Hyvärinen A, Von Wright A.
Appl Environ Microbiol. 2002 Oct;68(10):4871-5. doi: 10.1128/aem.68.10.4871-4875.2002.
PMID: 12324333 Free PMC article.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12324333/

Fumagillin, a Mycotoxin of Aspergillus fumigatus: Biosynthesis, Biological Activities, Detection, and Applications.
Guruceaga X, Perez-Cuesta U, Abad-Diaz de Cerio A, Gonzalez O, Alonso RM, Hernando FL, Ramirez-Garcia A, Rementeria A.
Toxins (Basel). 2019 Dec 20;12(1):7. doi: 10.3390/toxins12010007.
PMID: 31861936 Free PMC article. Review.

Aspergillus mycotoxins and their effect on the host.
Kamei K, Watanabe A.
Med Mycol. 2005 May;43 Suppl 1:S95-9. doi: 10.1080/13693780500051547.
PMID: 16110799 Review.

Here is another one..

Appl Environ Microbiol
. 1987 Apr;53(4):787-90.  doi: 10.1128/AEM.53.4.787-790.1987.
Tremorgenic mycotoxins from Aspergillus fumigatus as a possible occupational health problem in sawmills
C J Land, K Hult, R Fuchs, S Hagelberg, H Lundström
PMID: 3555338  PMCID: PMC203757  DOI: 10.1128/AEM.53.4.787-790.1987
Free PMC article
Abstract
Wood-trimmers' disease, generally called extrinsic allergic alveolitis, which affects workers in sawmills, is thought to be caused by fungal diaspores. The importance of Aspergillus fumigatus on the surface of wood dried in kilns is accentuated by its ability to produce tremorgenic mycotoxins. Eight strains of A. fumigatus from five different sawmills were isolated and cultivated on liquid media, and one of the strains was also cultivated on wood blocks. Extracts were prepared, and the tremorgenic reactions were induced by oral administration of extracts to rats. Extracts of the strain grown in liquid medium and on wood blocks induced very strong tremorgenic reactions when administered orally to rats. Four other strains induced mild tremorgenic reactions. High-performance liquid chromatography analysis revealed two tremorgenic mycotoxins, verruculogen and fumitremorgen C, in the five toxic strains. One nontoxic strain produced detectable levels of verruculogen. These results, coupled with the known resemblance of the acutely toxic phase of wood-trimmers' disease to the symptoms produced by these tremorgens, imply that wood-trimmers' disease and similar occupational diseases are, at least in part, mycotoxicoses.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:48:25 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: TimNJ, Manul

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 11:27:19 pm »
So, does that mean uBeam finally went titsup and are selling their inventory to the wackos out there?
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer, wraper, TimNJ, SilverSolder

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2021, 12:34:50 am »
isnt that audiophool dodgy stuff? maybe we can fight it by acting nothing happened. the next attack, we can play go outside and stretch our self in joy and get the attacker dissapointed. the link says audio cancellation may avoid the effect, so i guess consealed earphone may do the trick.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2021, 12:52:54 am »
https://www.amazing1.com/products/phasor-pain-field-pistol-high-powered-1.html?
review:
I bought the phasor pain field pistol as a way to stop my neighbors dog from barking . And the same neighbor likes to sit in his truck at 3 am blasting his stereo. The dog has stopped his endless barking finally. The neighbor was blasting his stereo the other night, went out there with the pain field pistol and pointed it at him on high for less than 2 minutes. Must have worked because he went inside 5 minutes later. He usually blasts his music for hours. Great little device and anyone looking at it has no idea what it is.

Offline Manul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2021, 01:04:20 am »
Check the law in your state/country. Foxes and coyotes are common pests in the US and I'm pretty sure it's legal to set kill traps in lots of the states. If the trap is legal and is on private land and it gets someone's dog, I don't see how they can take any legal action against you.

If trapping is illegal, then how about poison? Dark chocolate/coco is very effective against coyotes and dogs.

However, it would definitely be illegal if you shot your neighbour's dog, even on your land, unless it's attacking you. I'm sure there's a difference between the dog being killed by a trap/poison which is legitimately used to control pests and being shot.

Dog is not at fault that his owner is a d***head. Also this discussion is public, so we should not suggest revenge tactics.

Clearly, the OP needs to invest into surveillance and patiently collect evidence.

Or just build a fence higher, like 10 feet and solid :) I wonder how the neighbour would continue his shooting over such fence :)

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2021, 02:31:21 am »
Please don't punish the dog for its owner's stupidity. You should use your fence to exclude it from your property.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2021, 04:32:29 am »
if dog cant be treated as property, then assuming its a living soul like children under custody, if its tresspassing and made damage to other's property or life, the custodian should be charged in court or fined. if the law doesnt have such rule, the law is stupid, hence the more clever one (victim) should take action imho.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2021, 08:26:44 am »
That neighbor clearly has a problem with anger management. He owns dogs that he's apparently unable to handle. I'd say, there's at least some probability he owns such a device already to discipline/punish his dogs.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline EEEnthusiast

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF boards, Precision Analog, Carpentry
    • https://www.zscircuits.in/
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2021, 08:55:41 am »
Send him a cake and a bottle of wine to see if it helps...
Making products for IOT
https://www.zscircuits.in/

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2021, 01:36:58 pm »
Unless I could prove otherwise, I would assume the popping noise is the sonic boom from a projectile passing by.  A gunshot.  The 'click' could be the projectile impacting a tree where it would be unnoticed.  Suppressors do a somewhat decent job of reducing the sound of the discharge.  A small cartridge, like a .22 Short, might be very quiet.  Apparently, an air rifle can cause a projectile to go supersonic and would be very quiet about doing it.
This was my first thought as well. Does the popping/click sound anything like the click at the start of the recording innkeeper posted? You wouldn't necessarily hear the echoes of the discharge that follow it in the recordings.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2021, 02:10:41 pm »

Dog is not at fault that his owner is a d***head. Also this discussion is public, so we should not suggest revenge tactics.

Clearly, the OP needs to invest into surveillance and patiently collect evidence.

Or just build a fence higher, like 10 feet and solid :) I wonder how the neighbour would continue his shooting over such fence :)
People love dogs, because people keep them as pets, so I knew the suggestion of kill trap/poison would be contraversial, but they're no different to any other pest animal and can be worse, in many respects: at least foxes, coyotes, wolves etc. are part of the natural ecosystem.

I would have told my neighbour that something was attacking my chickens, presumably a wild animal and warned him, that I was going to put poison/traps on my land, because I know he has dogs. That way you give him the opportunity to deal with his dogs and show concern, by warning him first. The idea would be to not make it sound like a threat, but to inform him of the situation.

I like dogs, cats, as well as foxes, but if kept hens and they were attacking them, I would take drastic action.

Offline SpecialK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2021, 08:18:31 pm »
This story is spectacular, and I don't believe easttexasnewbie should be ruled out as a troll.  Or perhaps this is some sort of homage to the fictional Sheldon Cooper, famously from east Texas and was terrorized by his neighbour's chicken.

I mean he seems CCFCP to me. 

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2021, 08:45:06 pm »
This story is spectacular, and I don't believe easttexasnewbie should be ruled out as a troll.  Or perhaps this is some sort of homage to the fictional Sheldon Cooper, famously from east Texas and was terrorized by his neighbour's chicken.

I mean he seems CCFCP to me.

Let's look at the writing style:

Hello
-----cut-----
Any Ideas?

I wonder who would TROLL like that ?

Hello
Any ideas?

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2021, 09:18:54 pm »
LOL  :-DD

One of my first thoughts was also "Hmm...this sounds like a movie,...am I getting trolled?"

What's funny is that many good ideas were proposed, including one that probably makes a lot of sense: A "pain field" or a high powered ultrasonic generator. But the OP comes back and says "Gosh I really thought you guys would be able to help :( , too bad." The OP has not responded individually to any of the proposed ideas, has not really provided any additional information, and overall does not seem all that interested in brainstorming with the people on this forum.

That said...

Not everyone is familiar with how an internet forum works, and many people are probably not familiar with the etiquette or features.

Original poster (OP), if this is real, please look back a few posts...I think there is some good information. If it is some ultrasonic generator thing, here's what I would try:

1. Get a laptop computer with Audacity
2. Get a cheap USB microphone capable of 192KHz sample rate
3. Discretely set the laptop up outside, in an area where you usually get zapped.
4. After it's happened, check Audacity for a matching 20-30KHz signal, time correlated to when you got hit.

The following users thanked this post: easttexasnewbie

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2021, 09:30:17 pm »

Um, sample rate does not equate analogue bandwidth, just like my mobile phone could not record crashes and bangs in the normal audible range but some piece of junk left behind by the last owners did.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2021, 09:37:46 pm »

Um, sample rate does not equate analogue bandwidth, just like my mobile phone could not record crashes and bangs in the normal audible range but some piece of junk left behind by the last owners did.

Yes..but hardly any manufacturer of PC based microphone is going to advertise the response above 20KHz, unless you buy a microphone specifically for ultrasound measurement. Those specialty microphones are much more expensive. At least I've not found anything cheap yet.

I've checked a few Knowles modules on Digikey. Their rolloff is well above 20KHz, and many look useable well after 30KHz, providing the pre-amp has the bandwidth too. Obviously YMMV, depending on what microphone the manufacturer is using.

So, maybe what I should have said is: Take a gamble on a cheap high sampling rate microphone, buy yourself a dog whistle, check if the microphone picks it up, and then do all the other stuff.

How's that?

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2021, 09:59:27 pm »
The issue is not sample rate but low pass filter before ADC.

Offline Manul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2021, 10:08:34 pm »
All things considered the story looks on the legit side, yet some things look strange. Like for example, when multiple people started suggesting surveillance, he said that he has 16(!) IR cameras on 2 acres teritory (which is not big) and sound recording, but somehow also implies that there is zero hard evidence collected including all the events of stone throwing and other things. How so? He explains, that neighbour may know the camera locations by checking with a phone. Ok, fair, but this neighbour is an interesting guy. Usually there is corrrelation between brain power and offensiveness. The neighbour is so smart to avoid notice, but wastes his time in all this offence. I don't know, maybe.

Anyway, about sonic guns. Non ultrasonic ones will be heard like a siren by everyone around. Fact. Ultrasonic ones should be more stealth, but I hardly imagine them being so effective from 100 feet distance, or it would need several kilowatts of power. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I would have oportunity, I would happily volunteer to stand 100 feet away from any ultrasonic gun below 1kw. I bet it would not make big effect. Again, maybe I'm wrong. Does someone have first hand experience?

Small electret microphones should pick ultrasound well. Even if it rolls off, who cares, we are talking about very high power signal here, it will pass. It can be checked before by scraching surfaces or blowing whistles (they should have high harmonic content).

The following users thanked this post: easttexasnewbie

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2021, 10:28:42 am »
See an audiologist for advice. If he is being a menace, speak to your local police.

The following users thanked this post: CJay, MK14, trevers, DrG

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf