Author Topic: Test isolation transformer  (Read 1330 times)

Offline crt_cowboyTopic starter

• Contributor
Test isolation transformer
« on: February 08, 2022, 10:32:13 am »
Hi,

I would like to check my isolation transformer to be sure it provides proper isolation.
From what I read one way to do it is to check resistance between the primary and secondary.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/how-to-test-old-mains-isolation-transformer-to-make-sure-it-is-working-correctly/

When I measure resistance between primary and secondary I get no continuity / very high resistance.

When I measure voltage between the output of the transformer with the ground (from the mains), I still get voltage. Shouldn't I have low / no voltage if there is proper isolation ?

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
Re: Test isolation transformer
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 02:48:44 pm »
The transformer has stray capacitance between the two windings. Your meter is high impedance. You will always see some stray voltage and a tiny bit of leakage current. Think of it more as a capacitive divider with a few pf of coupling.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 02:57:33 pm »
When I measure voltage between the output of the transformer with the ground (from the mains), I still get voltage. Shouldn't I have low / no voltage if there is proper isolation ?

You should measure the current, not the voltage.  Put a 10K resistor from the transformer output to ground and measure the voltage across that and then calculate the current.  You should have less then 500uA leakage current, which would correspond to a measurement of 5VAC.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: crt_cowboy

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 03:03:03 pm »
Bonjour

Mains transformers are tested for ratio, resistance, hypot AC voltage P-S and hypot AC voltage P to frame or earth.

Certain special types have internal shields for very low capacity P..S.

if you test for resistance or capacity the results will not be a useful.

Please inform  us the make, model, a photo etc as the term isolation transformer is very broad.

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline crt_cowboyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 03:51:44 pm »
This is the model variac Philips 2422 529 00007
see https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_ringkern_stelltransforma.html

It has separate windings so on top of being a variac, it also act as isolation transformer.

I have tried to connect a light bulb between a secondary and the ground, and it did not light up. So I believe what I measured with the multimeter is more an artifact related to high impedance of the meter.

Offline Brad808

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 04:55:59 pm »
What are you reading are "ghost voltages". You can read about it here; https://www.fluke.com/en-ca/learn/blog/digital-multimeters/dual-impedance-digital-multimeters

Offline geggi1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 06:55:09 pm »
Check the primary and secondary with an insulation resistor tester (Megger) with approxomately the dubble primary voltage.
If you got multiple Mega ohm between primary and secondary the transformer has an acceptable regarding isolation.
When you got the isolation tester up and running you should also chenck the insulation resistance between winding, chassis and ground connection.

The following users thanked this post: crt_cowboy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf