Author Topic: TEST - can somebody let me know if this image shows up?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline mindcrimeTopic starter

• Supporter
TEST - can somebody let me know if this image shows up?
« on: July 08, 2022, 04:41:44 am »
I've had a lot of issues over the years sharing images to forums and what-not, when they were stored in Google Photos. So I'm giving Dropbox a try. Here's a link to an image stored in my dropbox account. I'll be curious to see if anybody else can see it and if the forum software is able to link it in correctly.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
Re: TEST - can somebody let me know if this image shows up?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 04:55:59 am »
Yes I can see it.

But why not use this forums own storage to make sure it is always there.

I know the options when uploading an image here do not work to make it show up big, but an other user posted a trick on how to do it.

• Make your post and attach the image as a thumbnail. (Default option)
  • Then use modify to edit your post, but use your browsers "open in another tab" option to also stay on the page of your post.
  • Then open the image in your post in another tab, and copy the URL from the address bar to where the image is located on the EEVblog server.
  • Go to the tab where you are modifying your post, and paste the URL in between the image tags "[ img ] [ /img ]" (Added spaces because it does not show otherwise)
  • Save your edited post. When done directly it will not show the "Last Edit" remark.

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 05:11:45 am »
Yes I can see it.

Rad, thanks!

Mainly because it's too much work. My photos are basically always on my phone and never on my PC, but I only post to the forum from my PC. So I want a workflow where I just use an app on my phone to push the photos to somewhere in "the cloud" and then I can just post a link.

It would be nice if Google Photos made it easier to direct link to photos, since my phone automatically backs my pictures up to GPhotos by default, but they just don't seem to care about that use-case. But it looks like this Dropbox thing works, and it's easy enough to push photos from my phone to Dropbox using their app, so I think this workflow will work out OK. *fiingers crossed*

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 08:05:50 am »
Photo links for contributed content causes problems down the line when your photos vanish due to your chosen photo site changing their terms of service, breaking direct links, or drops your account, or simply goes AWOL. 

*PLEASE* use the forum's own attachment storage!

The following users thanked this post: Muttley Snickers, Tom45, tooki, pcprogrammer

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 08:17:37 am »
Photo links for contributed content causes problems down the line when your photos vanish due to your chosen photo site changing their terms of service, breaking direct links, or drops your account, or simply goes AWOL.
This has happened - more than once.  Photobucket being just one example.

Indeed.

It might be a little more work, but if your content is likely to be of value to those who visit later, then the effort will ensure your contribution will hold its full value.  Nothing more frustrating than having an excellent written report on something only to be greeted with placeholders instead of images.  (Unless it's tracking down dud capacitors.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 08:19:52 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 10:16:35 am »

Something else that people take for granted is that some of us have limited data and/or slow connection speeds so are reluctant to click on a link to an image of unknown size or resolution. Images posted on the forum generally display the file size and resolution which gives people the opportunity to decide if they want to open or download it.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 10:53:44 am »
Something else that people take for granted is that some of us have limited data and/or slow connection speeds so are reluctant to click on a link to an image of unknown size or resolution. Images posted on the forum generally display the file size and resolution which gives people the opportunity to decide if they want to open or download it.

I did forget to mention this. Was in the original post I got the methodology from :palm:

Also a reason to not use the photo from your phone directly, and resize it with something like "gThumb" first. Saves on space on the forum disks too.

And how much work is it? Copy the image to your computer, right click on it to select your program to resize it, click to resize it and you are done. Posting it on the forum either big or small is also not that much extra work.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 09:31:46 am »
Yes I can see it.

Rad, thanks!

Mainly because it's too much work. My photos are basically always on my phone and never on my PC, but I only post to the forum from my PC. So I want a workflow where I just use an app on my phone to push the photos to somewhere in "the cloud" and then I can just post a link.

That's selfish.

Prioritising your time over many readers time is simply rude. That deserves a "PLONK".

One of the good things about usenet readers is that it is easy to set filters "don't let me see this idiot's post, nor any post in response to his  post". Cuts the amount of crap down very effectively. Unfortunately it isn't practical on web forums.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, tooki, pcprogrammer

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2022, 07:26:14 am »
I'm not committing one way or the other to any specific approach, but since I have that Dropbox account now, and the Dropbox app on my phone automatically syncing pictures to DB, it would be a straightforward step to install the Dropbox desktop client to sync the same pictures back down to my PC. If I did that, it would eliminate some of the pain of using the forums built-in image uploading mechanism.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2022, 07:40:49 am »
Not visible to me.

The OP shows only text, like the link wouldn't even be there, but I can see that huge bloated link if I try to quote the OP.  Browsing from EU/Ro, Firefox/Kubuntu, no addblocker.

Best practice would be to make the pics small, then attach them locally:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-to-make-decent-photographs-for-forum-postsarticlespublications/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2022, 09:29:18 am »
I've had a lot of issues over the years sharing images to forums and what-not, when they were stored in Google Photos. So I'm giving Dropbox a try. Here's a link to an image stored in my dropbox account. I'll be curious to see if anybody else can see it and if the forum software is able to link it in correctly.

Only when I Quote you can I see this image you tried to link:
https://uceb799bc43c6db29286da95e70b.previews.dropboxusercontent.com/p/thumb/ABkTMpep_ZZe7Dc2Q2shfIJRGzNUpbu6n65HvYava11IR0l0hx_Qd7b6wD4EwURbYn4tneARmc8wkYk5uQy3B1Ca3npXSrqKMN_QrU3DWfwMv-Z2anC_7TG2rghfcNUtKUqAj9d8gO-EpyQbXU4rwo45cJ8qEn-x1izHjABmsmyfPWoFYSwjFd_vsi8WscdziX4itSPCC5CkDyq-ObAsCiSambwXWc4Y0jCG0ETYQeVSJLQr1CGSY1rHwHfJSzBqWMkhEiLQ5xu0TuByYLTqbGMYOl0_qdKV7n1VVvpK3y-8c2SWJYg16kT8uvSi4r6Ch4tsryFmeWvIJMk1Bb-UGTHcsriRvPI_Z42JZSHYrCeU-2bU7gu87Qz2GbHB3zYrT1ecG5f4mNh0DXae5x9ef0vNxvx8Dg12hOwDssATf3ebGw/p.jpeg

Dropping it into Google yields no results either.  :-//

As others have suggested build yourself a local image database and add images to your posts only as thumbnails as nothing else works. Also in Attachments and..... don't use the first Choose File button as that busted too and instead hit (more attachments) and select your local files from there and touch nuthing else.

When you post all your attachments get listed in order at the foot of your post where from you can add the URL from your images into anywhere within the text body of your post's content however to have the image visible the URL need be between the img flags.

Sounds a bit like a PITA however you soon get pretty slick at editing posts, adding a bunch of img flags then dropping the image URL's into them.

There's all manner of tricks you can do like grabbing the URL from another members images and including them in a reply of digging back through your own Attachments (in your Profile) and adding image URL's from old posts like I did with this one from 2014 a few days back:

So so many valuable images have been lost over the years so if you want something to stand the test of time upload onto Dave's server but at least show some respect to him for providing such and readers with slow internet connections and compress image sizes relative to the amount of image detail required.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2022, 11:22:33 am »
@OP: This is getting stupid. First we can see your image then we can't.

Just use the forum image attachment, with appropriately sized images, as everyone else has said. You don't see everyone else creating 'Test' threads just to see if people can see whatever off-forum image repository that takes your fancy today. I really don't think anyone cares if it requires a little effort on your part to do it properly - they're a lot more likely to question whether it's worth expending a little effort to help you!  >:(

Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, tooki, eugene, pcprogrammer

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2022, 11:36:46 am »
I'm not committing one way or the other to any specific approach,

In general the polite, considerate principle is be to commit to an approach which is best for the consumers of what you create. Anything else is self-centred.

Fortunately nowadays there are so many content sources/creators clamouring for my attention that I can easily ignore those that choose not to make it easy for me. That choice takes me 15-30s at most. Yup, that's the "elevator pitch" timespan.

In this the best approach is to upload your images to this website, and not make them larger than necessary. For most purposes 800x600 pixels is sufficient.

Any other approach is self-centred.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, ebastler, pcprogrammer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf