Author Topic: Spectrum Analyzer  (Read 5535 times)

Offline vallywally5Topic starter

• Contributor
Spectrum Analyzer
« on: February 11, 2022, 11:10:25 am »
If you are a simple user, like a ham, what will be for you the best SA, you will buy ?
(please only the name; "nothing else matters")
Of course a RBW about 10 hz.... max  frequency about 0,5-1 ghz
Of course something new...
About money something 1000-3000 $

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
Re: Spectrum Analyzer
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 11:39:45 am »
Seems like this is best match, with extra tracking gen and (1.5 port) VNA:
https://www.siglent.eu/product/1137207/siglent-sva1015x-1-5ghz-spectrum-vector-network-analyzer

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 01:28:20 pm »
Yes ,  thank you !

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 01:55:13 pm »
Use a SDR, most have impressive Spectrum, waterfall capabilities

We use SDRplay rrom UK, economical and fine design and software

https://www.sdrplay.com/

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 02:59:47 pm »
Of course- why spend thousands when $10 is enough. An SDR dongle with a good external ref is an amazing bit of kit.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 06:13:59 pm »
Rebonjour, We have used vintage HP and TEL SA

We used the  TEK 7L12, 13, 18 plugins wik on 7000 mainframes.

and  HP  8558B 1500 MHz plugin  with digital storage   scope 853A

Analog classics

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline Paul B

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 11:55:26 pm »

Hi vallywally5
OK  although I personalty use older analysers that are High end lab quality instruments
the quality of the lower end instruments has improved immensely over the past few years OK

Best advise is to bye an instrument destined for the job rather than something that can also be a spectrum analyser
so you say New  and you have a budget of 1000 to 3000 and a frequency limit of 500 - 1000 mhz
you also say just a name nothing else matters  a lot of good names have made a Bad instrument in the past the one thy wish thy never had made. so feed back on a particular model makes sense

so when designing  RF equipment most times you want to look at the 3rd if not the 5th harmonic
assuming you are an amateur and working at 430 Mhz then you should look at 1500 to 2500 Mhz as top frequency

if you are thinking of doing any satellite work the IF used is L band and this typical goes to 2000 Mhz
continuing with satellites the input to the amateur satellite that does digital TV has an input of approx 2.4 Ghz and this might be of interest it defiantly is for me

so if the SSA3032X that you have been directed to in an earlier post is within your budget i would seriously look at the specification of the 3.2 Ghz version it also comes with a tracking generator  that makes the testing of components easier  being careful you do not blow up the input of your analyser

Personally I have rarely used a tracking generator as i use the correct item for the job and use a RF sweeper and a Scalier analyser this gives me more control over testing but then i do go over 20 Ghz

a must to go with the analyser is a selection of Attenuates and directional coupler's
more on this subject if required

Regards Paul 

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 02:52:47 am »

so if the SSA3032X that you have been directed to in an earlier post is within your budget i would seriously look at the specification of the 3.2 Ghz version it also comes with a tracking generator  that makes the testing of components easier  being careful you do not blow up the input of your analyser
:-//
It wasn't, instead the SVA1015X was and although very similar to the SSA3000X models that the SVA models originated from the later SSA3000X Plus models are the same hardware but without the VNA capability. (hobbled in SW)

Furthermore all 1.5 GHz models from Siglent are a slightly different HW configuration than 2.1 and 3.2 GHz models and 5 and 7.5 GHz models different again. This can all be deduced from careful study of datasheet specs.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 04:47:45 am »
Use a SDR, most have impressive Spectrum, waterfall capabilities

SDRs are great -- I have several and use them for all sorts of things.

But---  They are typically not well-calibrated for amplitude, or for amplitude vs frequency, and may have dynamic range limitations which are not well-specified.  The SDR also usually has a limited real-time sweep range of only a few MHz, making some types of wide-sweep measurements problematic.  A true spectrum analyzer will not have these limitations.

So if you want to snoop around the frequency ranges, or do non-critical measurements, the SDR can be a great tool, and you can't beat the price.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 03:58:22 pm by fourfathom »
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline Doodly2000

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 12:52:53 pm »
There is a nice Wiki with all SDRs so far on the market? at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_software-defined_radios
Might help to choose.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 11:04:50 am »
Well, do you thing that a SDR has a great dinamic range , IP3 ; a good noise level ?
Thanks, 73 !

Offline M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 12:39:34 pm »
Used a few SDRs, they're useful. Red Pitaya is also worth a mention.

My main SA is Rigol DSA815-TG, used an old Anritsu before. Software functionality is considerably better than a SDR.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 12:55:21 pm »

jonpaul ? any news ?

Offline Doodly2000

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 03:46:11 pm »
My main SA is Rigol DSA815-TG, used an old Anritsu before. Software functionality is considerably better than a SDR.

We are using some bench top real-time analyzer in our factory e.g. the latest R&S FSW generation and i must say that todays real time "PRO" SDRs are for sure much more powerfull than any benchtop real time spectrum analyzer since you can connect them to much more powerfull PCs with a hell of great software while benchtop analyzers are limited to the in build PC hardware which is quite crappy in comparison.
If you ever tried to use a cheap benchtop real time analyzer in real time mode you know what i am speaking about. It is a nightmare: You never get a usable or smooth frame rate. Depending on what you are doing the display is running with a view fps only and super unsmooth at some point its even getting unusable.
Even the high end units suffer a lot if it comes to high data rates. This is quite annoying if you think about the cost which easy skips the 100k Euros!

Use a nice SDR with powerfull PC and 4k monitor and you get a super smooth analyzer no matter what. Thats the future and dont worry about accuracy, the big boys on the market did it right  :-+     
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 03:48:25 pm by Doodly2000 »

Offline M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 03:08:41 pm »
Started at: "If you are a simple user, like a ham..."
Currently at: "real-time analyzer / the latest R&S FSW generation / 100k Euros"

:-DD

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 05:58:05 pm »
Take a look at my blog. Link is in the signature.

Offline Doodly2000

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2022, 03:04:19 pm »
Started at: "If you are a simple user, like a ham..."
Currently at: "real-time analyzer / the latest R&S FSW generation / 100k Euros"

:-DD
Yes fully agree  :-DD

Offline Paul B

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2022, 07:22:45 pm »
hi doodle

I am somewhat confused at your comments
first  real measurement are not always smooth so if you want measurement that simply give an approximation  to a smooth curve then please continue with your low end instrument
yes SDR do give smooth result's and can be the front end for computer analysis but so can the real instruments if you have the software
regarding low end instruments yes thy can be clunky and give questionable results  but so can the instruments you are talking about

the thing hear is if you understand how an instrument works you can then then start to understand the issues and the validity of the results

I have deleted my next comment as i do not think you would understand the technical content  |O

Offline El Rubio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2022, 05:01:44 pm »
You weren't very specific about your exact needs in a SA. As a ham also, I have used a cheap SDR Dongle connected to the IF of my HF rig and had a very usable panadapter. A 'real' SA in that situation is overkill in my opinion. However, if you do any over the air measurements, or want actual accurate measurements, then a SA is probably best for your needs. I would vote for one with a tracking generator. It will make sweeping antennas and tuning duplexers or filter cavities much easier. Over the air measurements will most likely require a preamp. Some units have multiple built in, but a suitable external LNA would work also. Someone mentioned attenuators and couplers. I'll second that and add filters when practical. it is easy to overload the front end of these devices and filtering can keep you from saturating the receiver. Many SA's will come with portable whip antennas - garbage- get some better antennas, directional like yagi's if possible.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2022, 06:36:28 pm »
And let's not forget the NanaVNA and the TinySA.  These aren't lab-quality by any means, but can actually be quite useful and are ridiculously inexpensive.  They do have limitations, so look at the specs and ask around if you are trying to do some specific measurement.

https://www.tinysa.org/wiki/

https://nanovna.com/
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2022, 03:15:04 pm »

Thanks a lot but nanovna,  has a  noise level or third-order intercept better then a non - SDR ?

Offline Paul B

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2022, 04:50:54 pm »
Hi can you please explain 3rd order intercept on this instrument

Regards Paul

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2022, 04:53:59 pm »
  Thanks a lot but nanovna,  has a  noise level or third-order intercept better then a non - SDR ?

Usually it is much easier to search internet than ask in the forum, then wait for an answer which may be misleading in the end. Here you go: https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-v2.html.  In case you wanted to ask about tinySA - again it's specification is easy to find using internet search: https://tinysa.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.Specification

It shall be noted that NanoVNA is not Spectrum Analyzer. Also I do not agree to armchair experts suggesting SDR as viable replacement for Spectrum Analyzer. SDR is spectrum indicator at best. Most of SDR software do not cover even fraction of measurements available on decent spectrum analyzer, even low-end from Rigol/Siglent.

Hi can you please explain 3rd order intercept on this instrument

Hi You might want to read wiki first. When you still have questions - come back and feel free to ask them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 04:57:33 pm by ogden »

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2022, 04:59:30 pm »

NanoVNA is a vector network analyzer, not a spectrum analyzer.  It's sort of a combined tracking generator plus spectrum analyzer, but with both phase and amplitude measurement capabilities.  It can't be used as a spectrum analyzer, it only measures the difference between the generator output and VNA input.  VNAs are extremely useful for dialing-in filters, and (with care) amplifiers.  They can do one-port Z measuerments, and two-port  gain/phase measurements.

The TinySA is an actual spectrum analyzer, with limited capabilities.  You would have to look at the specs, but I assume that a good SDR would have better noise and TOI numbers.  By the way, SDR parameters are all over the map, too.  For example, some have 8-bit A/D converters, others have 10 and 12-bit A/D.

Offline Paul B

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2022, 07:45:40 pm »

Hi Ogden
i did look at Wiki  but found it to complicated for me (I am not being critical hear )
OK we have  3rd order intercept for mixers & amplifiers but when evaluating a spectrum analyser i would probably not measure any of its internal signals  nut compare
shoulder width and noise levels on signals   

regarding the The TinySA  ideal training and a nice tool to start with and for most good enough  as most do not go above 1000 Mhz
regarding  VNA  i decided i did not require a full VNA system at home  as it takes up a big chunk of space  but the NanoVNA is defiantly worth looking at regarding the line

(I do not agree to armchair experts suggesting SDR as viable replacement for Spectrum Analyzer. SDR is spectrum indicator at best. Most of SDR software do not cover even fraction of measurements available on decent spectrum analyser, even low-end from Rigol/Siglent.)

I totally agree with this line  but then I do run 2 systems of  HP 70000 spectrum analysers that are not budget items but the big problem with lab equipment is it is BIG
and so small is often the solution for most  so just enjoy your time with electronics
as Test Equipment can be a game by itself as you then require test equipment to test the test equipment   :-DD :-DMM :-BROKE  regards Paul

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf