Author Topic: Laptop battery cell replacement with smartphone battery ?  (Read 964 times)

Offline cowboysaifTopic starter

Laptop battery cell replacement with smartphone battery ?
« on: July 11, 2019, 03:45:02 pm »
Hello,
I am totally inexperienced with electronics. Let me explain what i am trying to do.
My laptop battery was discharging very quickly, so i thought of a battery replacement. While doing so, i investigated whether the battery cells can be replaced instead.
The battery is 3220 mAh @ 11.4v.
782619-0 782625-1
There are 4 cells in the battery, each cell has 11.93Wh @3.8V
782631-2
Each cell has a positive and negative terminal. There is a piece of electronics on the positive(?) terminal though. Please see the picture below.
782637-3
I have no idea about this things, but whats stopping me from soldering a regular 3.8v smartphone li-ion battery ?

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Laptop battery cell replacement with smartphone battery ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 03:54:46 pm »
Yes, one can replace individual cells in a battery (better all of them at the same time) to rescue an otherwise unobtanium or ridiculously expensive battery. Been there, done that. Wouldn't recommend you to do so for the lack of experience - it's definitely not an absolute beginners job, too many things to consider and too many things that could go wrong.

BTW an 11.4V battery consists of three cells, not four.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:16:45 am »
The label on the battery says it is charged at 13.05V which is 4.35V per cell. A new kind of lithium chemistry (Si-Graphene) can be charged that high. Ordinary lithium cells (lithium cobalt-oxide 4.20V when fully charged) explode or catch on fire if they are charged that high.
Your laptop probably has a charger that can charge the new battery chemistry but it would overcharge and blow up ordinary lithium batteries.
Caution: There are also newer lithium batteries (lithium iron phosphate)  that must be charged to 3.6V when fully charged.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 02:14:31 am »
There's apparently even 4.4V lion cells available now...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf