Author Topic: Dieshots: Opamp input offsets working in the opposite direction to what I expect  (Read 10323 times)

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
Re: Opamp input offsets working in the opposite direction to what I expect
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2021, 08:15:50 am »
both will happily pass a 2V ptp signal at 100kHz.
:-DD

That's the point he was trying to make.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Opamp input offsets working in the opposite direction to what I expect
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2021, 02:15:22 pm »
both will happily pass a 2V ptp signal at 100kHz.
:-DD

That's the point he was trying to make.

No, he has consistently claimed that the LM358 family don't go above 2 kHz or so, try a Google site search for "site:www.eevblog.com/forum audioguru LM324" or "site:www.eevblog.com/forum audioguru LM358". He has an obsession with it and a mission to proselytise his ignorance.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 02:21:57 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
Well, it will fall apart if you want to have any sort of closed loop gain or output amplitude. GBW and SR just aren't its strength.
There are reasons why cheap DIY audio projects use TL072 instead of LM358 ;)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Well, it will fall apart if you want to have any sort of closed loop gain or output amplitude. GBW and SR just aren't its strength.
There are reasons why cheap DIY audio projects use TL072 instead of LM358 ;)

And no-one is disputing that, just the spurious claim that it only works to "a few kHz". LM358 GBW 1.2MHz, 0.6 V/us, TL072 3MHz, 5V/us - neither are stellar performers.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
LM324/358 and µA741 have a particular reputation of being "too slow for audio" because they barely deliver a few V RMS above 10kHz, so I suppose he was just repeating that meme.

And FYI, Audioguru hasn't posted here for over a year so I wouldn't waste much time debating him ;)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
LM324/358 and µA741 have a particular reputation of being "too slow for audio" because they barely deliver a few V RMS above 10kHz, so I suppose he was just repeating that meme.

And FYI, Audioguru hasn't posted here for over a year so I wouldn't waste much time debating him ;)
It's also not true. In an audio signal, the large swings are due to bass frequencies, so the slew rate is not normally an issue. The relatively high noise and crossover distortion of the LM358, although the latter can be fixed by adding a resistor to the output.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf